List your Top 5 Most Disturbing Movies

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
The Hills have Eyes was a little messed up. Near the first quarter of the movie, there's a particularly brutal scene when the mutants first attack.

Eraserhead. I personally thought it tried to hard to the point of where some of it was borderline retarded, but it was supposed to be filmed like a nightmare, and weird shit happens in a nightmare. It gets a place on that list.

The Mist. The ending. Ya know what I mean.

Se7en, just because it came out of nowhere for me and I didn't think it was that kind of movie. Plus, I was on the younger side.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Human Centipede said:
Why is everyone talking about me here! We all know the Seriban Film is the worst thing to ever crawl it's way into existence. That and Grotesque,that's all I got.
Another member using Phil from Manhunter as their avatar?

This towns not big enough for the 2 of us...

The Tibballs

Jun 3, 2012
I can't say that many films disturb me as such, but there are a few that have make me a little unnerved.

Mine would be:

Audition
Cannibal Holocaust
Ring (Japanese Version)
Rob Zombies House of a Thousand Corpses and The Devil's Rejects
Wolf Creek

Yes that's 6 films but I count House of a Thousand Corpses and The Devil's Rejects as one, sue me. :p

Honourable mention to:
Cabin Fever (I think it was cabin fever at least, just for that scene where the guy fingers the chick in her leg wound)

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
ZPowers said:
A couple no one has mentioned:

Visitor Q, which to me is probably more disturbing than Audition or Ichi the Killer.

Dead Ringers. In certain scenes, probably particularly for women.

The original Last House on the Left is fairly intense.

And though I dunno if they'd crack my top five, a lot of folks find Requiem for a Dream, most of David Lynch's filmography and Clockwork Orange somewhat intense.

Others I've heard of but not seen:
Salo, or 120 Days of Sodom,
Aye, thanks for reminding me. Good list of some of the best of the bad stuff. Miike is a hero of mine, so I'd like to add one more to that list:

Gozu (2003)

Really. You won't believe your eyes.

If we go that far back in time, I feel the need to add the original I spit on your Grave/Day of the Woman (1978). That one extends the horror of Last House on the Left in the random, almost casual brutality of "normal" young men, not escaped rapists and killers. It's invasive and brutal and will stay with you for a while. But, like Last House, it also allows you to think about what happened. To me, I like the empowerment that eventually, brutally follows the being victimized. Then again, they're both but movies, and reality is so much more harsh and brutal, so that in real life, the drama usually follows the plot up to where things get unbearably bad, but there's no revenge, no catharsis, no getting even. So, because they are movies, they allow for the sheep to be transformed into fiery beasts indeed, and that transformation is, in a way, just as horrible as all the blood and gore on screen. Traumatizing experiences can indeed make people grow, but they can just as well just bend or break them.

As for Salo, we have it on Laserdisc. It's pretty much a must see once you've decided to make up your mind about the world and anything in it. Pasolini forever. He also did some remarkable bits that are meanwhile little known (maybe because they're not horrible enough), such as Theorem/Teorema, which is basically the original Visitor Q, or The Gospel According to Matthew; good stuff if you can stand a guy talking at you for prolonged periods of time.

Human Centipede

Aug 4, 2012
Dangit2019 said:
Human Centipede said:
Why is everyone talking about me here! We all know the Seriban Film is the worst thing to ever crawl it's way into existence. That and Grotesque,that's all I got.

One shall stand......ONE SHALL FALL!

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Human Centipede said:
Dangit2019 said:
Human Centipede said:

One shall stand......ONE SHALL FALL!
Pistols at high noon! May the winner be declared by the grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
BreakfastMan said:
1. Eraserhead.
There is something about this movie that is supremely disquieting, and I have never been able to quite get it out of my head, no matter how hard I try.
You know what I consider to be the most disturbing bit about this movie?

This guy:

http://media.ifccenter.com/images/films/eraserhead_592x299.jpg

is this guy:

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsN/12651-5459.gif

is this guy:

http://content6.flixster.com/photo/10/41/42/10414248_ori.jpg

Next time you feel empty and hollow and shallow, I suggest you go watch "I don't know Jack"

Or did you know that this guy:

http://www.vanceholmes.com/court/blakew.jpg
http://pdxretro.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/baretta-and-bird_thumb.jpg

would enventually become this guy:

http://podcast.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/lost_highway_david_lynch.jpg

Now, if that ain't disturbing.

Jay Knowles

Aug 24, 2010
Blair witch project?

I really dont get how/why people find this movie disturbing. the first time I watched it I thought it was a terrible comedy where the director just forgot to shoot the funny scenes. I thought the joke was put a bunch of stupid American hippies in a scary forest and let the events play out. i was laughing my ass off at the bit at the end where the guy is taking a piss on a wall (anyone?)

Feb 28, 2008
Wolf Creek
Most of the film -- but particularly the whole "head on a stick" sequence.

Mulholland Drive
You have absolutely no idea what is going on until about half way through and then -- no, Lynch is determined to boggle your mind further. The whole "who is who and why", interspersed with those freaky non-seq moments make it quite disturbing.

The Thing (1982 film)
The possibility that anyone could be The Thing is just one of the most disturbing thoughts imaginable.

... that's about it. Can't think of 5.

DatedSandwich

Jan 24, 2010
1. Splice (The scenes at the end messed me up)
2. Umm, Watership Down

I don't really find most things disturbing, so this is quite hard for me to do.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
I don't know if it can be narrowed to five with any objectivity. Most of my picks have been ninja'd by other users, who I salute as connoisseurs of the bizarre and macabre as a fellow cult movie fan...

So in no order, I'd round up the following as 'top shelf disturbing/weird':

- Guinea Pig: Flower of Flesh and Blood
- Irreversible
- I Stand Alone
- Men Behind the Sun
- Cannibal Holocaust
- Faces of Death / Traces of Death
- Visitor Q
- Audition
- Gozu
- Ichi the Killer
- A Serbian Film
- Straw Dogs (original)
- Tetsuo: Iron Man
- Eraserhead
- Blue Velvet
- Watership Down
- Videodrome
- Naked Lunch
- The Fly
- Antichrist (Lars von Trier)
- Twelve Monkeys
- Happiness
- Salo: 120 Days of Sodom
- High Tension
- Inside
- Martyrs
- The Hills Have Eyes
- Hostel
- Human Centipede
- Oldboy
- The Shining
- Un Chein Analou
- Shogun's Sadism
- Eden Lake
- Tokyo Gore Police
- Frontiers
- Silence of the Lambs
- Midnight Meat Train
- Meatball Machine
- Wolf Creek
- Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
- Last House on the Left (original)
- The Holy Mountain
- Aftermath
- I Spit On Your Grave
- Jacob's Ladder
- Schramm
- Combat Shock: American Nightmares
- Philosophy of A Knife
- August Underground's Mordum
- Imprint (Masters of Horror) [compilation]
- Cut (Three Extremes) [compilation]
- The Thing (original)
- The Mist
- Mulholland Drive
- Shake Hands With the Devil (doc)
- Dead Ringers
- Taxi Driver
- Pink Flamingos

Anyway, individual mileage will very greatly with these. I own most on DVD and have been fed regular recommendations by a buddy of mine is a video store manager (who sells to me at factory price :D) and fellow horror and cult movie enthusiast, who I've enjoyed many beer and film home viewings with, sharing favorite from our respective collections.

A lot of the stuff on the list is horror, others drama and thrillers and occasionally twisted comedy. Some are cerebral, most are direct, some are genuinely good movies, others kinda suck, but still pack a punch. Investigate at your leisure.

Tranquility

Aug 4, 2012
Mulholland Drive

Seriously...what the hell. I've active searched for movies that wrench my gut, including movies such as Irreversible and 120 Days of Sodom, and it turns out gore and debauchery in movie format just can't have a deep effect on me.

Mulholland Drive though...that is world shattering.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
My girlfriend and I seek out disturbing movies all the time. They fascinate me, not disturb.

The Human Centipede movies tried too hard.
A Serbian Film, I expected more from.
Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom was just all over the place, but never took it to that disturbing level.
The August Underground series just didn't feel real enough.
Cannibal Holocaust was kind of boring.

There are a few on some people's lists that I haven't seen though, so I'll have to check them out. I'm ridiculously curious about these odd films.

II2 said:
- Guinea Pig: Flower of Flesh and Blood
- Irreversible
- I Stand Alone
- Men Behind the Sun
- Cannibal Holocaust
- Faces of Death / Traces of Death
- Visitor Q
- Audition
- Gozu
- Ichi the Killer
- A Serbian Film
- Straw Dogs (original)
- Tetsuo: Iron Man
- Eraserhead
- Blue Velvet
- Watership Down
- Videodrome
- Naked Lunch
- The Fly
- Antichrist (Lars von Trier)
- Twelve Monkeys
- Happiness
- Salo: 120 Days of Sodom
- High Tension
- Inside
- Martyrs
- The Hills Have Eyes
- Hostel
- Human Centipede
- Oldboy
- The Shining
- Un Chein Analou
- Shogun's Sadism
- Eden Lake
- Tokyo Gore Police
- Frontiers
- Silence of the Lambs
- Midnight Meat Train
- Meatball Machine
- Wolf Creek
- Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
- Last House on the Left (original)
- The Holy Mountain
- Aftermath
- I Spit On Your Grave
- Jacob's Ladder
- Schramm
- Combat Shock: American Nightmares
- Philosophy of A Knife
- August Underground's Mordum
- Imprint (Masters of Horror) [compilation]
- Cut (Three Extremes) [compilation]
- The Thing (original)
- The Mist
- Mulholland Drive
- Shake Hands With the Devil (doc)
- Dead Ringers
- Taxi Driver
- Pink Flamingos
This list, I like it.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I am impressed people, there is a nice diversity in taste and I am glad that we as game enthusiasts aren't so desensitized that media doesn't disturb us still. Thanks for the replies and keep 'em coming.

Another movie that was slightly disturbing:

1. PeeWee's Big Adventure: Large Marge... wow...

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Come and See
Oldboy
Akira
Dumplings
The Exorcist
Rob Zombie films
Deliverance

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Burig said:
Pan's Labarynth - only for that face smashing scene and the fact that I couldn't think of another one.
Glad to see someone else thinks it was disturbing. I don't see a whole lot of disturbing movies, so this one is probably my worst.

The whole movie was just insane, really.

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
I can only talk about movies I've seen, I know the Human Centipede and A Serbian Film are pretty disturbing, but that's the reason I haven't seen them.

Hills have eyes 1 and 2
First has a nasty bit in a camper van where a couple of mutants eat a bird, steal a baby, try and rape two females before killing one of them all while the father of the family is burned alive. The second isn't as bad but they kill a guy by making lots of little cut and then sticking him in a shitter. This is so he dies slowly from infection from the crap as he crawls through it. It isn't bloody or anything, but made me feel pretty awkward. Oh and there's a rape bit. Not a fan of rape.

Event Horrizon
Saw the film when I was little, but only two bits really got to me. One part is where the character watch a guy ran his hand down his throat choking himself and the other is where a guy has his eyes burst. The throat thing was just because I was young and it stuck with me, and eyes. Fuck eyes, anthing with eyes makes me feel sick. Still a fan of the film though...

The Thing Remake
Haven't seen the original so this death might be old hat, but there's a but where they chop off the thing's arm and it attaches to a guy's mouth. He then has to deal with it taking over his face untill someone puts him out of his horror. Slow deaths that are more physological that painfull mess with me more.

I enjoy watching these films, which is why these thing disturb me so much. Other films that I've found disturbing, I have seen and then never found enough enjoyment to watch again, but these films I keep watching and refreshing my memory as they're good movies overall.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Blazing Steel said:
The Thing Remake
Haven't seen the original so this death might be old hat, but there's a but where they chop off the thing's arm and it attaches to a guy's mouth. He then has to deal with it taking over his face untill someone puts him out of his horror. Slow deaths that are more physological that painfull mess with me more.
Oh you need to rent the original. It's slow-paced, but once things pick up you get to see some of the freakiest monster design out there.

Flizzick

Jun 29, 2011
For some reason Se7en, Memento and Fight Club come to mind. They're pretty standard psych thrillers to be sure, but whenever I think about the meticulous amount of planning and work the villains (In Memento's case, the hero) put into everything, as well as what the movies as a whole individually represent... I don't know, it's just terrifying.

Maybe I have an sub-conscience fear of Brad Pitt... and Guy Pearce