Little Big MadWorld

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
PC's have one thing that consoles don't, and probably won't have in the foreseeable future - Emulators. Yeah, say bye bye to your game being "exclusive".

WendelI

Jan 7, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
gof22 said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Andy_Panthro said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
When was the last time a good and cute game was released on the PC that wasn't Free Realms? Similarly, when was the last time the PC saw a game as brutal as God of War III?
The Wallace and Gromit episodes spring to mind, Sims 3, Prototype, Fallout 3, The Witcher, GTA IV, the LEGO games, FEAR, Ghostbusters...

Thats just what I can think of off the top of my head, and while they may not be quite as brutal as GoW3, they're still up there. Also, plenty of family friendly games.
I think you're getting confused - multiplats don't count for this excercise, for some reason. Otherwise, Jordan would have brought up World at War being on the Wii, or Lego Star Wars being on the Ps3. So, down to The Sims and The Witcher. Hardly very bloody or very cute. THe way you're describing it, PC gaming itself seems more vanilla in terms of its subject matter. I mean, where's PC gamings Katamari, for example?
gof22 said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Chipperz said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Andy_Panthro said:
This is one of the many reasons I am a PC gamer.

It has a great deal of flexibility in gaming, and I know there are games that aren't released on the PC, but thankfully they aren't the sorts of games I'm interested in.
When was the last time a good and cute game was released on the PC that wasn't Free Realms? Similarly, when was the last time the PC saw a game as brutal as God of War III?
Oh my GOD I agree with Indigo_Dingo on something. Time for me to sell my PS3 and change my Fallout 3 GOTY Preorder to the 360...
God of War III still trumps Fallout 3. Just look at the sequence where he rips a mans head off and uses it as a lantern.
To you maybe to others maybe not. Bad thing is while God of War III seems violent there is no evidence it will have good gameplay. Also, God of War III comes out on the PS3 where as Fallout 3 came out on the 360, PS3, and the PC.

In sales I have to say that Fallout 3 will trump God of War III. Like Halo is a 360 and PC exclusive but COD4 came out on PC, PS3, and 360 which gave it more sales.
I fail to see how that is relevant in any way. I thought we all long ago recognized that the truly great games will never achieve massive sales.

And I assume you're ignoring the literal dozens of reports on N4G of journalists just back from E3 saying "HOLY SHIT MAN! GOD OF WAR III HAS FUCKING AWESOME GAMEPLAY!!!! FUCKING HELL YEAH!!! DID YOU SEE, I JUST LIT THE SKELETONS ON FIRE, AND THEN THE CENTAUR SHOWED UP AND SHIT WAS LIKE WOAH, AND THEN I JUST CUT HIM OPEN AND THEN I WAS LIKE RIDING ON THE HARPIES!!!! FUCK YEAH MAN!!" (I'm paraphrasing, obviously).
I realize that I am just putting into observation how a great game can also be hurt by sales. Psychonauts was an excellent game but because of poor sales it was barely registered on the grid.

God of War III looks good but I will form my opinion when I play it not based on gameplay videos someone else plays. Just because a game looks good does not mean it plays good.
However I think we can all agree that if Dante's Inferno manages to outsell God Of War III, then we need to go and burn down EA's headquarters.
Why? why if I am tried of god of war and now i want to try something different? i mean yeah game series can survive allot of sequels but i believe that god of war has gotten old on me. Maybe too many hack and slash games in my library.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
You mention, Shamus, that you own all three consoles... which I think is pertinent. Because the PS3, 360, and Wii have had comparative successes in marketing themselves to manufactured gamer niches, plenty of gamers are multi-console these days.

I own a Wii for when 'casual' friends come over and want to race karts after a few beers, and I own a 360 for more graphically intensive single-player stuff. If these consoles provided equivalent gaming experiences, I would probably just get the one and leave it at that.

The stratification of this generation of consoles has probably been good to overall sales for the medium in general.

Kaisharga

Dec 5, 2007
This article smells of strawman. I don't know a single person who has come even close to considering their 'lifestyle' when dropping $200+ on a game system. People over the age of 10, in my experience, don't want consoles--they want games, and consoles merely come as a necessary part of the deal in order to make the games work. I could feasibly see some 15-year-old boy buying a PS3 because he'd be embarrassed to have his classmates know he has a Wii, but that doesn't seem a terribly common thing to happen, and any 15 year old is most likely to need to have a (hopefully more rational) parent drop the cash anyway.

So, we see you've bought into the hype of the fanboys. Not even of the console marketers, but the fanboys! Is the purpose of this article to say that you shouldn't listen to fanboys? On the scale of 0 to Insightful, that lesson ranks about an obvious-point-two.

Kaisharga

Dec 5, 2007
Also, JenX has clearly never heard of Virtual Console, or Xbox Live Arcade, to name the legal options.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Woe Is You said:
The Maw, Ceville, Blueberry Garden, Plants vs Zombies...

Indigo_Dingo said:
That might be because the number of PC exclusives is absolutely tiny, to the point where the term is barely used
Or you could just admit two things:

1) that you know nothing [http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/games-of-2007/] about [http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/games-of-2008/] the [http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/games-of-2009/] PC [http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/games-of-2010/] as a platform and
2) that the PC market in general works completely differently from the console market.

I mean, there are still genres where the PC absolutely decimates the console offerings (RTS, grand strategy, simulation, adventure and MMO-anything). I say there's plenty of reason to keep a gaming PC around.
Try and ignore Indigo; he's a pro PS3 troll who has blinkers on his eyes to stop him from saying anything other than PS3 and its games are good.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
GonzoGamer said:
If the ModNation (Racers) brand is going to come out with a series of cute moddable games, it can really even things out for the ps3.
Modnation RPG...ers should be interesting.
I would like to see that too however that would be one hell of a thick game. First you have to consider how many assets you have in your typical rpg, then give everybody the ability to modify it. It would be like Oblivion with multiple personality disorder. I had a poll for this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.117204#2219489

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I won't pretend to have read any of these comments, but

I am not going to like a game more just because other people can't enjoy it at all.
Neither am I, and I am genuineously disturbed by the amount of people who do.

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
Kaisharga said:
Also, JenX has clearly never heard of Virtual Console, or Xbox Live Arcade, to name the legal options.
No I haven't because as I never bother with consoles.
Also I am still baffled why people on the internet keep insisting on writing my name with a capital "X" on the end.

P.S.: Ok so I did a quick wikipedia search and I am now confused about your post. From what I get Virtual Console doesn't allow you to, say, play a PS 2 game on your Wii, and neither oes XBox Live Arcade, so how exactly do any of them compare to having an emulator on a PC and being able to play PS 1, PS 2, Xbox, NES, SNES and Nintendo 64 games all on the same machine?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Jenx said:
Kaisharga said:
No I haven't because as I never bother with consoles.
Also I am still baffled why people on the internet keep insisting on writing my name with a capital "X" on the end.

P.S.: Ok so I did a quick wikipedia search and I am now confused about your post. From what I get Virtual Console doesn't allow you to, say, play a PS 2 game on your Wii, and neither oes XBox Live Arcade, so how exactly do any of them compare to having an emulator on a PC and being able to play PS 1, PS 2, Xbox, NES, SNES and Nintendo 64 games all on the same machine?
There are several programs that will launch many of those emulators and more. They might not be straight up legal, though, seeing as you happily included PS2 and XBOX emulators, I'm betting you don't concern yourself too thouroughly with all that. There are emulators for all three systems, if you're really looking.

On the original point, though, with nintendo turning back to its core gamer base in the next few months, and MS and Sony trying to imitate the regretfully dismal motion sensing tech, the next few years, if things keep going this way, are going to show us a bit a reverse-around. We'll see fewer core-based games for the heavier platforms, and a few more games that return to roots for the Wii.

Though I wouldn't mind seeing an actual controller for the wii. The classic controller is all well and good, but having it as an attachment is a bit of a nuisance. An actual controller would go miles to promoting the wii as a gaming platfofrm again.