Little Changes That Would Make The World A Better Place

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Like most of you, I must leave the sanctity of my thoughts for the majority of my day to deal with other people for money. And like most of you, I realize that there is indeed a Devil due to the fact that this is the case for continued life, as this is an awful existence.

But like most other things, this Devil is of our own making. We not only allow, but we cultivate certain aspects of society to give ourselves importance or power or whatever. It's lead to a horrible state of things that I feel we can only rectify and start liking each other again if we get rid of certain ideas.

The first idea that should be on the Chopping Block is "The Customer Is Always Right".

That mindset needs to die in a fire.

It creates self important adult-children who feel like they can abuse people who are just trying to keep their family fed with the only job they can get. I know not every customer is a monster. And I know there are a few customer service workers who are legitimately bad and rude at their job. And more importantly, I get that someone actually screwed up your order and it is something that is distressing.

But 99% of the time, the person you talk to first wasn't the person who screwed it up for you. You are heaping your anger on anyone you can get to and that just lessens whatever ground you had to stand on. And that poor customer service person just has to take it because defending yourself, being anything but empathetic to a jerk who doesn't care a lick about you, is normally grounds for one or two write ups before firing.

You didn't put Comcast or Citibank or Disney in their place. You put someone who is making maybe just above minimum wage who might have actually helped you if you were just human to them.

Simply put, yeah, customers need to be able to be clapped back at. Too many abuse their power as the customer to just make other people's lives a living hell. And yes, like I said before, I get it. Someone messed up. Fine. But it isn't that person. Don't demand of someone who doesn't know anything about your situation. Don't demand to speak to a manager because you assume your issues so important you can't be bothered to talk to anyone else than the manager, and just generally don't try to abuse any little power you have in order to puff out your chest and seem like a big shot.

That's been said. What are other things you think could be done to make society as a whole more tolerable?

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Some form of public works program. Like we have universal basic income but to get your 1k or whatever a month you need to spend 1 weekend a month or something being put with a random grouping of other people and working together on something for the public good. If for no other reason then to get people out of their holes and let them meet other people and work together for a common cause. I think our social isolation is a big cause for a lot of problems we have at the moment and I think this would really help. Like, kinda filling the role of church without the religion bs.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
You know how sometimes toilet paper is kinda stuck and you have to scrape at it to unroll it? Well, there's this thing some Japanese girls (and some fancy hotels) do where they will fold the upcoming segment of the paper into a triangle after they use it so that the next person can use if more easily. It's a giveaway if you're a bachelor that you had a girl over when someone finds your toilet paper end folded in an arrow.

I wish everyone did that.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Legalise weed.
Aw shit, I loaded this thread up to say this. I've never smoked (anything, actually), but I'd try it if it was easy to get a hold of legally. Can't help but think maybe society would be a little more chill if we were all getting munchies together.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Aw shit, I loaded this thread up to say this. I've never smoked (anything, actually), but I'd try it if it was easy to get a hold of legally. Can't help but think maybe society would be a little more chill if we were all getting munchies together.
Dude...you just gave me a terrible idea. Imagine if midway through the major political debates the moderators gave the candidates a mandatory weed break. "This is your candidate. This is your candidate when they're high as a kite..." Meanwhile, everyone onstage is just like "Whooooaaaa" and cracking up at the smallest thing.

If nothing else, it'd be interesting to see how campaign strategy would change when every candidate is seen making a fool of themselves as a matter of course.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
If nothing else, it'd be interesting to see how campaign strategy would change when every candidate is seen making a fool of themselves as a matter of course.
Well, we're gonna be seeing that regardless this year :cool:

Yum, this low hanging fruit is delicious.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Simply put, yeah, customers need to be able to be clapped back at. Too many abuse their power as the customer to just make other people's lives a living hell. And yes, like I said before, I get it. Someone messed up. Fine. But it isn't that person. Don't demand of someone who doesn't know anything about your situation. Don't demand to speak to a manager because you assume your issues so important you can't be bothered to talk to anyone else than the manager, and just generally don't try to abuse any little power you have in order to puff out your chest and seem like a big shot.
Working in customer service, see a lot of that. Endlessly annoying to hate to pretend to respect someone determined not to be respectable, especially when you know the outcome is going to be the same "no, can't do that" you told them to start with.

To take it to the extremes, we have to keep telling people not to attack healthcare workers.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The first idea that should be on the Chopping Block is "The Customer Is Always Right".
Yes, indeed. An anecdote from 20 years ago that still bugs me to this day…

In the late ‘90s-early 2000s, I worked at an electronics retailer in their warehouse, responsible for picking orders and loading them into customers vehicles, everything from alarm clocks to refrigerators. Being the dawn of this new century, flat screen HD TVs weren’t a thing yet, but Sony had released their line of Wega televisions, a high-clarity, flat-screen tube television that increased exponentiality in weight as the screen size increased, i.e.: the 36” Wega weighed several hundred pounds. Needless to say, whenever the chime went off and a 36” came up, we “rock-paper-scissored” it for whose job it was to go fetch it.

For the youngsters who might not remember when TVs didn’t mount flush against a wall taking up about as much room as a painting, tube televisions were behemoths that took up cubic footage in your living room, often requiring a stand and multiple people to move; they were basically furniture. The back of the casing being largely hollow, the guts, including the glass screen cavity, were all towards the front, so center of gravity being a thing since forever, when carrying one, either in your arms or on a dolly, you want the heavy end closer to you. I practiced that lesson hundreds of times carrying and loading TVs into customers cars.

One day, a customer ordered the 36” Sony Wega, and I pulled the straw to load it. Often customers would show up in a sedan or convertible thinking “it’d fit in the back seat,” no; this monstrosity was HUGE and took up space. Even out of the box, it didn’t fit in most cars; you needed a van or a truck to haul this beast off. Fortunately, this customer had a pick-up truck; unfortunately, it was about two thirds full, meaning the TV would have to sit on the end with the tailgate down. I loaded the TV onto the truck with the screen facing forwards (heavy end facing the cab) and offered to tie it in with twine. The customer refused; he wanted the screen facing OUT, because he didn’t want the other stuff in his truck to damage it. I tried explaining that the TV was very well packaged and wouldn’t be affected by the stuff in his truck, but more importantly, basic physics: that with the multi-hundred pound screen hanging off the end of his open tailgate, as soon as he pulled off, it would fall out. He refused, demanded I turn it around. I did so, and as soon as he pulled off, not 20 yards from our front door in our parking lot, what happened? CRASH! I watched as he got out, assessed the damage, then marched (furious, apparently) into our store and asked for the manager who he promptly told I misloaded his new TV and it fell out. My manager came back to the warehouse and asked what happened. I explained everything, and he understood, but I was asked to just get another 36” Wega and “load it correctly.” Now I was furious.

While my coworkers were in the parking lot collecting the damaged TV, I was loading this asshole’s NEW new TV the way I’d done it before, screen facing the cab. Even though he saw me doing it MY way again, instead of being even remotely apologetic or admitting he was wrong, he simply insisted that I “tie it tighter this time.” (And while I can’t remember what he looked like, I’m picturing Joe Exotic…)

I still can’t think of that day without my blood boiling…

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
If people actually LISTENED, I can guarantee that would solve a lot of issues.

Improv, people! We all need it!

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
If people actually LISTENED, I can guarantee that would solve a lot of issues.

Improv, people! We all need it!
Oh hey, I know what woukd do it: the return of Taco News! Except that Taco News would be about rating games by the tacos present in them.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Oh hey, I know what woukd do it: the return of Taco News! Except that Taco News would be about rating games by the tacos present in them.
Now THAT would be a subversion of expectations!

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Round up prices. You know what I mean, right? Like, everything being 2,99 € or 4,99 € so you can never pay the exact sum and your purse keeps filling up with worthless 1 Cent and 2 Cent pieces. Just round it up to full €, man.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Round up prices. You know what I mean, right? Like, everything being 2,99 € or 4,99 € so you can never pay the exact sum and your purse keeps filling up with worthless 1 Cent and 2 Cent pieces. Just round it up to full €, man.
A big clothing company in the US tried that in 2012, along with putting clothing at a "real" price (in the US, clothes are hugely marked up, and get sold at "real" prices during periodic sales). It's called JCPenny. Its strategy almost bankrupted the company, and has become a landmark study in the psychology of consumerism.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
A big clothing company in the US tried that in 2012, along with putting clothing at a "real" price (in the US, clothes are hugely marked up, and get sold at "real" prices during periodic sales). It's called JCPenny. Its strategy almost bankrupted the company, and has become a landmark study in the psychology of consumerism.
The TL;DR version of that psychology: People are idiots and want to feel like they're getting a "steal" even when they're not.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I think the cashless society will happen before that happens.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Games Workshop has tried that a few times (at least in Australia), and that's the way they are currently doing it. Things cost whole number dollar amounts, and the bigger ones are in multiples of 5 or 10.

The pricing codes they had where each item had a letter code and there were signs around saying what each letter was (so they could change prices in one go, rather than individually, I guess) has been dropped, though.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Being quarantined and furloughed, I've been watching a lot of "The Price Is Right," and the thought occurred to me how much better the world would be if everyone treated each other the way TPIR audience treats each other, y'know, cheering for each other, high-fiving each other, trying to help, old, white women hugging young black men, burly biker thugs clapping for homosexuals, etc. And when one person wins, whoever that lucky person is, EVERYONE cheers.

Reactions: ObsidianJones