Little touches in games that made you smile

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
In Uncharted, Drake slows down and concentrates on his feet when he's running up or down stairs. Nothing major, but I like it.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
I'm going to sound like a total ninten-narc here, but I was thinking about Luigi's Mansion on the gamecube and realized that, despite the game not being all that scary, the lighting and atmosphere was done really well. The final touch that made it perfect was having the ability to call out for Mario despite knowing that won't make him come out.

Captcha: Thick and thin. Very fitting since I havn't played Luigi's Mansion since I was fifteen.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
In stage 3-2 of Streets of Rage 2, some of the enemies are using arcade machines before they turn around to get their faces bashed in - all of them say "Bare Knuckle", which is the Japanese name for Streets of Rage.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
TheMightyAtrox said:
There are plenty, but one I thought of was in Assassin's Creed 2: "It's a-me! Mario!"
HA! You should have seen the double-take I did when I first heard that.

Muspelheim said:
Another thing of notice in Metro: when you're in the old command bunker, there is a boot in a corner with a small plant growing in it, as a bit of a shoutout to Wall-E.
I got a fuzzy, warm feeling when I saw that.

Bitcoon

May 16, 2012
In the STALKER games (Shadow of Chernobyl specifically here) when you die the world doesn't just stop going and present you with a load game button. No, you can pretty much wait indefinitely to see what happens after your death, and there are some cool touches there. The first one I noticed was when the dogs killed me. I expected to see them walk away nonchalantly as they wait for me to load my last save and NOT walk into their ambush next time, but instead the one that finished me started dragging my body around and taking bites out of my corpse.

Morbid, but pretty neat little touch. I guess the behavior exists more for when NPCs die around these dogs, but that it would happen to the player as well lends a sense of continuity to the world and doesn't break the illusion that the world doesn't revolve around you.

Mr.logic

Nov 18, 2009
in arkham city at the mid game you find two of jokers thugs talking.

thug 1 says: man, about 6 months ago in the asylum batman broke both my legs
thug 2 says: yeah well theres no way hes gettin past me.
thug 1 says: you keep telling yourself that man, but in a few minutes were probably going to have broken legs.

s0meNo0b

Feb 21, 2011
Sten's line at the end of DA:O. It produced a smile, but more of a, "Did they really just do that?" kind of smile.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I liked finding The Wasteland Survival Guide in Fallout New Vegas, the idea that Moira Brown has actually published my work from the previous game and people were using it was quite a good and strange feeling. Its a shame that you couldn't actually read what she had wrote.

lordlillen

Nov 18, 2009
in fallout 3 operation anchorage if you wear outcast armour the outcast will wonder if you're a new recrout.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
In The Secret World beta weekend, tried "password" for the computer password in the priest house. Funniest response in the game yet.

We are the Illuminati, not your grandmother. The password is not "password".

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
The Demon Compendiums in damn near every (well, recent) Shin Megami Tensei game. It's a small part of the game, but it's very interesting to learn a little bit of backstory behind every demon you use. Some even have dialogue related to their story in the games.

Makes me think Atlus cares enough to go that little extra mile.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Uncharted series. Whenever you go in the water, you can see that Drake's shirt gets wet. I thought that was kind of a cool feature.

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Finding a fridge with a skeleton and a fedora hat in I think it was New Vegas. I love open world games where they have little things like that.

I also love stuff you can do in games, but isn't necessary, like greeting people in RDR by pressing B on xbox :p

hoboman29

Jul 5, 2011
In Deus Ex: Human Revolution there's a part where you go into some barracks and there you can find a poster for Final Fantasy 28 to which my only thought was "Oh god how much worse does it get in this world."
Another really cool one is finding Fake Crash in Crash Bandicoot 3 because it felt like getting 100% was worth it so see naughty dog make fun a cheap knock off toy.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Might not be much, but I did like how your hat and glasses can fall off in GTA 4 while you're getting your ass kicked or when you crash into something and get thrown out of your car or off your bike. There was this one time I was walking down the street to a hotdog vendor when some NPC I pushed my way past earlier snuck up on me with a bat and showed the autographed signature on the end to the back of my head. After I countered him and dropped him to the sidewalk, I noticed that my favorite pair of aviator sunglasses was knocked off during the fight so I walked back to him and gave him a few kicks in the ribs for good measure.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
I like the fact that in Skyrim if you have all the slow time shouts you can literally pluck arrows out of the air equip them and shoot them back at the people who shot you (or if you're into character building make a monk). I smiled in that totally juvenile "FU-- Yeah!" kind of way.