Little touches in games that made you smile

Pickles

That Ice Ain't Nice
Mar 1, 2012
Country
Australia
Fallout 3 had plenty of neat things, as did New Vegas.
I remember reading through a terminal message and seeing some fear factory lyrics tacked on the end which I thought was pretty funny.
And then you get weapons such as Occam's razor. Seems like they had a whole lot of fun putting references in there.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
I absolutely LOVED the HUD in Republic Commando!

I liked how your visor could be splattered with bug-blood, robot coolant, or cracked, and the fact that a laser windshield wiper would actually wipe it off. I loved all the symbols and lights, and the head-bobbing, it just felt really immersive. It was creative, something a lot of modern games lack when it comes to the HUD.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
ArtistImperfect said:
Attention to detail in regards to NPC's dialouge.

One of my favorites was in Halo 1 when a friendly NPC would die and another would run up to his corpse and talk like he was trying to shake him a awake or something just for the added dramatics "Hey get up GET UP MAN!"

Another example is in the terrorist hunts on RSV2

Terrorist 1 "I see ya"
(I lean around the corner and take his head off with my SPAS 12)
Terrorist 2 "HE'S DEAD THEY KILLED HIM!"
Terrorist 3 "Go check it out"
Terrorist 4 "FUCK YOU MAN YOU GO!"
Terrorist 2 "Christ I'm tired of this shit"

lol nothing too fancy but still pretty funny
My best friend and I play RSV2 all the time just for the hilarious melodrama from enemy ai;

"SHIT IT'S THE COPS, MAN!"
"FUCK, SHOOT THEM!"
"AAAAAAAHHHHHH!"
"WE'RE SCREWED MAN!"
"AAAAAAAHHHHHH"

All this while they riddle our digitalized bodies with 100 bullets.

rhyno435

Apr 24, 2009
Portal 2. At the beginning when Wheatley asks you to say "Apple" by pressing X/A/Space. You already know Chell is mute, and that button is generally assigned to jumping, but when he is a little thrown off that you're jumping instead of speaking, it made me laugh.

Also in Portal 2,
as you're escaping near the end, and you just pass "The Part Where he Kills You", Wheatley asks you to come back. If you actually DO go back, he's surprised and tries to convince you to jump to your death in a variety of ways. If you do, he laughs at you. Man I love Wheatley.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
In the Battlefield games, when you reload, people who look at you can also see you reload, instead of just watching you tap various parts of the gun (ie Halo)

In Halo 3, I was amazed by the fact that you can see the weapon on your back, instead of it disappearing when you switched weapons like in the previous games.

When shell casings actually eject from your gun, and roll across the floor (Yes, I know its fairly common now, but its cool nonetheless)

Skeggers

Mar 1, 2012
It didn't so much make me smile as much as it did just make the experience so much cooler, but the simple background noises of muffled chatter, a woman crying and a faint, eerie alarm in DEFCON: Everybody Dies added so much to the atmosphere of that game. Loved it.

Can't think of any other examples of when audio has made a game so much better with the exception of survival horror games.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
I liked the little dialogues that the player character has with your followers in Diablo 3. Makes them more fleshed out as characters.

Daggedawg

Dec 8, 2010
I like how the little bird next to the kill counter in Drakengard pecks at the counter every time you kill an enemy. Just a little detail I noticed and found very cool.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
I recently started playing ME2. I named my character Hannah. I shit bricks when I heard "Hannah Shepard" while walking by a news terminal. Felt stupid when I found out there's a character named Hannah Shepard...

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
rhyno435 said:
Portal 2. At the beginning when Wheatley asks you to say "Apple" by pressing X/A/Space. You already know Chell is mute, and that button is generally assigned to jumping, but when he is a little thrown off that you're jumping instead of speaking, it made me laugh.

Also in Portal 2,
as you're escaping near the end, and you just pass "The Part Where he Kills You", Wheatley asks you to come back. If you actually DO go back, he's surprised and tries to convince you to jump to your death in a variety of ways. If you do, he laughs at you. Man I love Wheatley.
Ahh I loved that, another thing I loved about that scene:

The fact that you hear, or see "The part where he kills you" about 4 times. Glados says "I think this is the part where he kills you," then Wheatley says "This is the part where I kill you!", then the chapter name comes up and it's "The part where he kills you", then finally you get an achievement titled "The part where he kills you". All of that just made me laugh out loud, Portal 2 was such an incredibly written game.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Simonoly said:
Most recently it was in Dragon's Dogma where my party was getting decimated by a group of hardcore bandits so I sprinted away and hid behind a big rock like the wimpy mage I am. The two pawns I hired where both knocked out, so my main pawn picked one up and stashed him behind the rock with me and then went back and picked the other pawn up and did the exact same thing before running over and finishing off the bandits. As soon as they were dead he sort of saluted/waved at me and then just started mining for ore as if nothing happened. My main pawn is such a fucking show off at times.
That sounds so awesome. Now i want to play it even more.

Atm i`m still amazed by all the detail in the weapons of Max Payne3 and i love all the bulletholes effects on bodies, glass, walls. The way they show breaking glass is damn impressive. The reload for the handgun if you`ve a riffle with you is so cool. Max puts the riffle under his arm reloads fast with the now free hand and after finishing it he let the riffle fall back and catches it.
I already noticed the bloody footprints in this game but there`s a level where you leave a trail in the mud which was new to me. I love that the cutscenes show your actual equipted weapons.
My minor gripe is that some of them don`t, wich is a tiny bit anoying to me since it seems to be ingame cutscenes. Once you`ve seen it you`ll notice it everytime.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
-The Boss of the Saints singing along with songs on the radio in Saints Row 2 (particularly "Take on Me" by a-ha) and the dual sing-along with Pierce in Saints Row The Third.

-Three Dog talking about your exploits on the radio in Fallout 3.

-The woman who needed me to get her teddy bear in Dead Island. Hey, if I were trapped in a shack with rabid flesh-eaters rampaging around, I'd want a teddy bear too.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Mass Effect 3 - The menu screen. It opens with a lower version of the same tone that plays at the menu screen of Mass Effect 1.
I had no idea how much that little note could affect me. The nostaaaalgiaaaa

Malty Milk Whistle said:
All of the narrators in bastions sound clips, there's a comment for everything
The weapon combos are the best. "Walk by a kid with a Machete and a Mortar... You just keep on walkin'"

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
I loved how in Banjo-Tooie after you defeat the fish boss you can keep talking to him and he just spews the most ridiculous dialogue.

I also smiled when I found that in Mother 3 when you talk to cows they occasionally say;

"Moooooo (I am a cow so that is what I say)".

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
When Juggernaut kills Sven in DOTA2, he'll say "It's not the size of the sword, Sven, it's how you use it!"

Come to think of it, most of the little hero-interaction dialogue in DOTA2 is awesome and makes the game particularly entertaining.