LittleBigPlanet Delayed Over Religious Controversy

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
I really don't think Tenacious D is supposed to be anything other than hilarious...

DIJ - over the top? I think it gets near that... but doesn't exactly go OVER. black tape for a blue girl, on the other hand, is COMPLETELY over the top. You can't take it seriously at all. Now, A Gothic Love Song by Current 93... THAT'S over the top, too... but intentionally so. It's complete satire and brilliant, at that.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
On the small almost non existent bright side you won't have to pick which to play Fable 2/Farcry 2 or Littlebigplanet.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
While I admit the extra week stings a little, although with this month's lineup it's really just one delayed teardrop in a tidal wave of pure awesome, those people raging at the idea that, through nefarious means, religious fundies are ruining good ol' freedom of expression yet again are kind of missing the point. It isn't wrong in anyway shape or form for a game that's supposed to be E rated and 'fun for all the family' to be edited so it doesn't contain content that would be offensive to most members of one of the world's largest religions. What's funny about this whole mess is how quickly Sony responded. Sony is a massive company, Blade Runner esque in scope, and they receive countless emails a day. Seeing them not only respond to one email but also start a product recall, a move which will cost them a small fortune, reminds me of Basil Fawlty trying to come to terms with the Germans in Fawlty Towers.

It's like the second the underpaid jockey in PR read the email he reached under his desk and fingered a large red button marked 'Holy shit! Muslims! A button not unlike the following.

What followed can only be described as something along the lines of 'The Office' meeting 'The Thunderbirds'. 'Muslims alert! Muslims Alert!' sound the alarms as bathroom urinals recede into the walls and are replaced with sanctioned mini mosques. The pictures on the walls, previously terrible motivational posters and snap shots of giant piles of money, rotate to reveal mosaics from Damascus. Two Arab Tech support workers and an Indian gentleman from the legal department are sucked from their chairs into a pneumatic tube which deposits them behind the front desk where they're informed (via radio) that they've been reassigned as receptionists. Finally a light fitting opens and a slim metallic claw places a turban on each of their heads. The alarm ends. Business continues.

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
70 pounds?!?

Holy fuck.

That's like $140! You're gettin' ripped, dude.

Even if the pound and the dollar were 1 to 1, you'd still be paying $10 extra... not including shipping.

oAmadeuso

Sep 7, 2008
Well the shipping was included....

Yeah I know it's a rip. But 70 quid is a lot less then other copies of the un edited version. seen them go for 140 pounds.
Part of me's tempted to put it straight back on ebay and make some money but I want to play it so badly....

It's why I got the bloody ps3 in the first place.

That and I suppose in 10 years time the unedited version may be a collectors item but i'am problerbly kidding myself

just looked over at the American ebay site and looks like they're going for silly moneys there too.

Ironic as you're getting it before us anyhow!

k3v1n

Sep 7, 2008
sony shouldn't have modified the song or patched it, I mean why should they?¿ muslims have the same rights ars christians and jews, just because some sentence is refered to the qoran...it's just ridiculous, why the political correctnes?¿ it's just pointless....it's so enfuriating I can't make up a coherent sentence so I'll just say this

everything is FAKE the only true religion is the Mushroom Klan...fuck yeah

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Amnestic post=7.74280.828159 said:
As an Atheist I find your attempt to remove music from a game I might like to purchase deeply offending.
I find your lack of faith disturbing...

Blind Punk Riot

Aug 6, 2008
Must impose views on other people... must stop everything with disagrees with myself...

I'll just make a religion and threaten to get my minions to kill anyone who defys me.
And now you are safely under my thumb, world!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
This is the kind of incident where everybody fails

Sony fails for being...well...Sony.
Muslims fail for getting offended (though with those kind of quotes being used I could understand why)
and the public at large fail for getting their panties in a bunch over all of this.

The Lyre

Jul 2, 2008
I am incredibly offended by WW2 games that make it seem as if Britain, France etc. had no involvement in the war, and that the U.S. single handedly beat back the Germans.

Therefore, I demand that every single Medal of Honour game be recalled, in respect of the hundreds of thousands of lost lives disrespected by this travesty.

Oh, sorry, what? You're giving priority to the song with a couple lines from a holy book?

Well, it's always good to know we've completely lost the War on Terror - we're too terrified of offending people to release a song with a couple phrases in.

Sirisaxman

Jun 8, 2008
k3v1n post=7.74280.835438 said:
sony shouldn't have modified the song or patched it, I mean why should they?¿ muslims have the same rights ars christians and jews, just because some sentence is refered to the qoran...it's just ridiculous, why the political correctnes?¿ it's just pointless....it's so enfuriating I can't make up a coherent sentence so I'll just say this

everything is FAKE the only true religion is the Mushroom Klan...fuck yeah
Ha ha! All hail the Mushroom Klan!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Qayin post=7.74280.836830 said:
Well, it's always good to know we've completely lost the War on Terror - we're too terrified of offending people to release a song with a couple phrases in.
Sony's japanese *coughcough* No relation to the War on Terror.

And it doesn't get much better than this people!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABeqFzHKzoE [The singer is a crook! The Kitchen is a crook!]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ScnxAkpbnc [You step on my patch I'll bring you down!]

There are some weird songs in LBP.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Tiamat666 post=7.74280.835453 said:
Amnestic post=7.74280.828159 said:
As an Atheist I find your attempt to remove music from a game I might like to purchase deeply offending.
I find your lack of faith disturbing...
I don't care if that was a (faux) dig at Atheism, plus points for the quote and making it fit ;D

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Now THAT is taking it far enough! Haven't religions spilled into video games ENOUGH TIMES ALREADY!?

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
I will no longer be buying the game. It infringes on my beliefs of basic respect and equality. However neither am i going to harm anyone. This is the mindset that brings about change in an ethical way. And it won't be adopted by the gaming community because ultimately we value the rest of the games content over our personal beliefs.

The choice is between an endorphin rush and a boycott, and the longer we wait the harder it will be to remind the world that their is a voice of raitonality and love in the world.