LoadingReadyRun: Fairy Godparent

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Kathleen is scary good at playing annoying teenagers!
Fair play, that was a fantastic performance!

Really liked it- the world weary Fair Godparent was great- as always, James with aviators rules!

Also- Doom Booties!!

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
One of the best LRR ever. Kathleen is indeed scary good at playing annoying teenagers! I wonder if she could be convinced to play this role for part of the next DB...

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Kinda weird seeing Kathleen with long hair. Like seeing my Dad for the first time without his mustache.

In a weirdness way, not that she looks like my Dad. er...

Love the designs in any Hensen production, especially Labyrinth

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
The Random One said:
Ok I have to know what Doom Booties' job is. I mean, I have some ideas... but they're... unhealthy.
It's Canadian rhyming slang for holding the microphone.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
klaynexas3 said:
Azuaron said:
Sometimes...

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who doesn't like Labyrinth.
Kind of, I just can't get through it because I don't see why the main character is doing anything. I can't sympathize with her because she's just as big a brat as the girl in this video, and I don't even see why she is risking her life for her baby brother. In the movie, only a few moments before he is taken, she is basically verbally abusing him and showed no sign of any affection. The movie is eye candy with some neat stuff and David Bowie is awesome as always, but I can't stand the main character. There is nothing likeable about her. She's selfish and annoying, but goes completely against her own personallity just to go on her quest. That was enough to prevent me from finishing it. It was 45 minutes in and the beginning still kept me from being able to like it, so I just stopped. I want to try again, but I really don't see it working if I watch the beginning.
You can be angry, frustrated and yelling at someone and still love them. At that moment, when the goblins take her little brother, she really did wish they would take him- but she did love him. I take care of my Dad and some days, I just want him to disappear- but if he did I'd be upset and frantic, because he is my Dad and I love him.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Heh, now I just want to know what Jeremy godparent was doing before this gig... and Kathleen channelled her inner teen stereotype frighteningly well.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Hitchmeister said:
The Random One said:
Ok I have to know what Doom Booties' job is. I mean, I have some ideas... but they're... unhealthy.
Oh, I get it. A spoonerism for "boom duties", right?

...Wait, is Canadian rhyming slang a real thing? Because I can hardly believe Cockney rhyming slang is a real thing. It sounds like something a bad sci-fi author would come up with after reading Anathem.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
Reminds me of first years students.

Ever since I was like 17 younger people had *better* new gizmos etc than us older types. Why is that? What happened to the days of inheriting your sisters old Nokia phone and walkman.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
This is a freaky co-incidence.

I bought Labyrinth on Blu-ray the other day and I'm seeing it everywhere.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
WTH they are talking about after the credits???

captcha: sonic screw driver
No, not about sonic screw drivers

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
The Random One said:
Hitchmeister said:
The Random One said:
Oh, I get it. A spoonerism for "boom duties", right?

...Wait, is Canadian rhyming slang a real thing? Because I can hardly believe Cockney rhyming slang is a real thing. It sounds like something a bad sci-fi author would come up with after reading Anathem.
No. I made up Canadian rhyming slang. I'm pretty sure that's not a thing.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
This teen is not a job for a fairy godparent. It is a job for Maleficent.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
LadyRhian said:
klaynexas3 said:
Azuaron said:
Sometimes...

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who doesn't like Labyrinth.
Kind of, I just can't get through it because I don't see why the main character is doing anything. I can't sympathize with her because she's just as big a brat as the girl in this video, and I don't even see why she is risking her life for her baby brother. In the movie, only a few moments before he is taken, she is basically verbally abusing him and showed no sign of any affection. The movie is eye candy with some neat stuff and David Bowie is awesome as always, but I can't stand the main character. There is nothing likeable about her. She's selfish and annoying, but goes completely against her own personallity just to go on her quest. That was enough to prevent me from finishing it. It was 45 minutes in and the beginning still kept me from being able to like it, so I just stopped. I want to try again, but I really don't see it working if I watch the beginning.
You can be angry, frustrated and yelling at someone and still love them. At that moment, when the goblins take her little brother, she really did wish they would take him- but she did love him. I take care of my Dad and some days, I just want him to disappear- but if he did I'd be upset and frantic, because he is my Dad and I love him.
I know that much, but there was very little indication as to that she even cared about him at first. She could have only been out to save him simply because her dad and step mom would have killed her had she not. I saw nothing from her that she was upset or even worried at the loss of her brother, she simply went on the journey. She showed little emotion and simply acted. While actions may speak louder than words, she herself portrayed nothing emotionally to go along with her actions. Maybe that's less of a story problem and more of an acting one, but it was enough to break the suspension of disbelief for the whole movie for me.

penthesilea180

Jul 25, 2010
I loved this video. Great job on the writing Kathleen. Also, holy crap, my students this year will have been born in 1994! When did I get so old? I love Labyrinth...=(

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
If you don't know what the Labyrinth is you don't deserve a fairy godparent.
I almost broke my Monitor trying to smack her for that one. And yelled "Pay no attention to the handsome and ageless rockstar hiding behind the couch." when she called Bowie old

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
For being one of the oldest people of the LRR crew, Kathleen can play a pretty mean teenage girl.

... That's kinda scary.