LoadingReadyRun: It's Magic

quibfiddle

Nov 16, 2010
Heh, Ok Grahm your line of thinking would be correct if it was a spell that required a target during the deceleration of the spell, I.E. path to exile, but this is not the case with journey to nowhere. You see, journey to nowhere is an enchantment, and the target is chosen during the come into play effect after the enchantment enters the battle field, not during the deceleration of journey to nowhere. Technically Alex could have responded before Kathleen has declared the target of journey.

Yep... Definitely a tier 1 nerd. Sorry, I don't mean to sound argumentative, just my rules advisor senses taking over.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
You guys make the game seem so much more exciting than I remember it being. Also, mad props to Matt for the Sam Logan fireflower shirt.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Yokai said:
You guys make the game seem so much more exciting than I remember it being. Also, mad props to Matt for the Sam Logan fireflower shirt.
Props to Sam Logan for the Fire Flower shirt.

-m

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
After rewatching, i noticed that KATHLEEN CHEATED! Unless she drew first turn... but that's still cheating

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
Gammaj4 said:
I just now noticed when Jer grabs the box in the store, you can barely see Kathleen in the background.
Yeah, I actually didn't notice that until I watched the vid a second time.
Sneaky Kathleen and her evil Kitteh deck.

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
rekabdarb said:
After rewatching, i noticed that KATHLEEN CHEATED! Unless she drew first turn... but that's still cheating
Having counted all the cards, and number of turns etc... we're going to say that there's a "draw on your first turn" house rule.

...yeah...

*Ahem*

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
Yokai said:
Props to Sam Logan for the Fire Flower shirt.

-m
Fair enough.

MaxFan

Nov 15, 2008
Graham_LRR said:
quibfiddle said:
Pretty sure this makes me like a tier 1 or 2 nerd, but did anyone else notice Alex's misplay against Kathleen? He could have sac'd bloodthrone vampire to itself in response to Kathleen playing Journey to nowhere, forcing Kathleen to to target one of her own creatures because journey's come into play ability had not yet been put on the stack and then giving Alex a chance to get back in the game.... Just saying.
I don't think that's how Journey works.
The card says "exile target creature" not "a creature", so after sacrificing the Bloodthrone resolves, there's no target, and the effect fizzles. It wouldn't force Kathleen to choose a new target.
J2N's ability triggers when it's put onto the battlefield, so if Alex sacrifices his Bloodthrone Vampire to itself while J2N is still on the stack waiting to resolve, when it enters the battlefield the only legal choices for targets will be Kathleen's creatures.

Also, this sketch is strictly better than Storm Crow [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=14753], there's even one in it. (check out the comments on the 9th Edition one if you have no idea what I'm talking about)

Chaos-Spider

Dec 18, 2009
About the Angry Kitty deck. did Kathleen have Raksha, Golden cub in it? also, the ruling on J2N in the post above sounds about right.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
anyone for online magic? duel of the planeswalkers? Still working on unlocking more cards and getting the 2 recent expansions, but when I have time I will be up for a game. The pc version though.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
how so?
-m
*below*
Graham_LRR said:
rekabdarb said:
Having counted all the cards, and number of turns etc... we're going to say that there's a "draw on your first turn" house rule.

...yeah...

*Ahem*
And alright, i guess my group also has house rules... Which currently escape my brain. Touche good sir... touche, and thank you for attempting to clarify.

But still this episode is awesome because i met some people at school who i found today who were playing magic. Gotta go stomp some faces after i go get my decks from my friend

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
I've been playing since being 8 years old...I love M:TG so very, very much.
I participated in the Grand Prix 2010 in Bochum a few weeks ago and on Friday, I'm probably going to participate in another tournament.

Lady Kathleen

Space Cowboy
Oct 8, 2009
MaxFan said:
Graham_LRR said:
quibfiddle said:
Pretty sure this makes me like a tier 1 or 2 nerd, but did anyone else notice Alex's misplay against Kathleen? He could have sac'd bloodthrone vampire to itself in response to Kathleen playing Journey to nowhere, forcing Kathleen to to target one of her own creatures because journey's come into play ability had not yet been put on the stack and then giving Alex a chance to get back in the game.... Just saying.
I don't think that's how Journey works.
The card says "exile target creature" not "a creature", so after sacrificing the Bloodthrone resolves, there's no target, and the effect fizzles. It wouldn't force Kathleen to choose a new target.
J2N's ability triggers when it's put onto the battlefield, so if Alex sacrifices his Bloodthrone Vampire to itself while J2N is still on the stack waiting to resolve, when it enters the battlefield the only legal choices for targets will be Kathleen's creatures.

Also, this sketch is strictly better than Storm Crow [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=14753], there's even one in it. (check out the comments on the 9th Edition one if you have no idea what I'm talking about)
How can someone sacrifice go off before I've targeted them? As soon as I bring out the card and say "journey to nowhere" I've targeted the creature. I can understand the spell fizzling, but the only way to remove the creature before I targeted it would for Alex to be a psychic. It's stuff like this that makes magic seem unintuitive, ridiculous and unfun for casual players. And why I'd never play in any sort of official tournament or go to FNM.

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
MaxFan said:
I'm so glad someone noticed the Storm Crow! We made a point of getting it in there.

It so overpowered.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Lady Kathleen said:
How can someone sacrifice go off before I've targeted them? As soon as I bring out the card and say "journey to nowhere" I've targeted the creature. I can understand the spell fizzling, but the only way to remove the creature before I targeted it would for Alex to be a psychic. It's stuff like this that makes magic seem unintuitive, ridiculous and unfun for casual players. And why I'd never play in any sort of official tournament or go to FNM.
The sacrifice enters at top of the stack as an instant and resolves first. Then there's Journey to Nowhere with no valid target anymore.

All of this became legal when they revised stack and removed interrupt, and believe me, it's so much clearer now.

Also, you'd be scratching your head 24/7 if you were against a counterburn deck like mine.

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
insanelich said:
Lady Kathleen said:
The sacrifice enters at top of the stack as an instant and resolves first. Then there's Journey to Nowhere with no valid target anymore.

All of this became legal when they revised stack and removed interrupt, and believe me, it's so much clearer now.

Also, you'd be scratching your head 24/7 if you were against a counterburn deck like mine.
We know that, we're confused as to why this somehow forces Kathleen to sac her own creature instead of the effect fizzling.

Slavik_91

May 2, 2009
Lady Kathleen said:
Spells resolve backwards, as in if I doom blade one of your things and you cast a cancel, 1st the cancel...cancels the doom blade, so if he had sacrificed his vampire even after you played JtN, it would still count. I mean if it didn't worked like that at least half of the instants and abilities on the game would be useless.

also JtN targets a creature, so the previous post that she would had to sacrifice one of her own is wrong, the spell would just be put to waste and he would had lost anyway