LoadingReadyRun: It's Magic

Viktor Persson

Apr 6, 2010
I. LOVE. YOU. GUYS!

When I started watching LRR i thought that the only way you could be anymore awesome were if you played Magic :p And now...

Is there a decklist for Angry Kittens? :)

engermanagement

Mar 25, 2010
Graham_LRR said:
insanelich said:
Lady Kathleen said:
How can someone sacrifice go off before I've targeted them? As soon as I bring out the card and say "journey to nowhere" I've targeted the creature. I can understand the spell fizzling, but the only way to remove the creature before I targeted it would for Alex to be a psychic. It's stuff like this that makes magic seem unintuitive, ridiculous and unfun for casual players. And why I'd never play in any sort of official tournament or go to FNM.
The sacrifice enters at top of the stack as an instant and resolves first. Then there's Journey to Nowhere with no valid target anymore.

All of this became legal when they revised stack and removed interrupt, and believe me, it's so much clearer now.

Also, you'd be scratching your head 24/7 if you were against a counterburn deck like mine.
We know that, we're confused as to why this somehow forces Kathleen to sac her own creature instead of the effect fizzling.
It has to do with the timing of the "enters the battlefield" effect. If you announce the Journey, pay its mana cost, etc., it goes on the stack. In response to it, i.e. before it comes into play, he could have sacrificed his own creature. Then Journey comes into play and its trigger goes on the stack and she needs to choose target creature for it to exile. So the only creatures in play were hers, so she'd probably pick steppe lynx. And then attack FTW next turn, but still.

The important thing to note here is that Journey to Nowhere isn't an aura, it's an enchantment that has a triggered "enters the battlefield" ability. She doesn't choose the target to exile until the enchantment comes into play, so if he responds at the right time, his creature will be gone before she has a chance to exile anything.

Is that clearer? I don't know what tier of nerd-dom this puts me on.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Viktor Persson said:
I. LOVE. YOU. GUYS!

When I started watching LRR i thought that the only way you could be anymore awesome were if you played Magic :p And now...

Is there a decklist for Angry Kittens? :)
Yeah, like half the cast posted decklists some pages back. I've got them saved on my laptop :D

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
Yokai said:
You guys make the game seem so much more exciting than I remember it being. Also, mad props to Matt for the Sam Logan fireflower shirt.
Props to Sam Logan for the Fire Flower shirt.

-m
I was actually wondering if you knew Sam Logan personally or something; the Sonic shirt the one week and the fireflower shirt the next.

Although, living in Canada, it wouldn't be too hard to ship over. Living in a place where the shipping costs double the shirt... well, let's say it's something I would really, really, really like to get, but can't unless there's 20 other people/things that want it that can warrant the shipping cost.

On topic; I missed cH, glad to see it back in style. Didn't really get into Magic (I remember learning it, then promptly forgetting it), and if there was a CCG that I got into, I'd have to say, with great shame, was Yu-Gi-Oh. Influenced, again, with great shame, by the TV show.

jamescorck

Jan 25, 2010
True, as life itself. This one was an awesome episode guys.

I want Kathleen's deck, Kitty Power go!

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
YYYEEESSSS!!! Commodore Hustle! Woo!!

Such a fantastic episode, the dialogue seemed extra pithy and quotable :D

The shock disbelief in Matt's face on losing so spectacularly to Alex was hilarious... great job, guys!

Ah, Kathleen... you and your kitties...

I love how Tim renounces the LRR lifestyle but keeps the t-shirt :p

This made my day, and was funny from start to finish!

"Of course, Graham, there's magic everywhere in this *****"

Alex Steacy, you are the man!

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Dooly95 said:
On topic; I missed cH, glad to see it back in style. Didn't really get into Magic (I remember learning it, then promptly forgetting it), and if there was a CCG that I got into, I'd have to say, with great shame, was Yu-Gi-Oh. Influenced, again, with great shame, by the TV show.
Now now, nothing wrong with Yu-Gi-Oh! I have World Championship 2010 in my DS, and I'm considering getting Decade Duels off Xbox Live. It's a great card game, and is a great rival to MtG. In fact, I'm torn between the two games. On one hand, I love the artwork and fast pace of Yu-Gi-Oh! But also love the strategy and possibilities with Magic. In the end, both are great card games, though.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
I don't even play Magic, but knowing what it does to people I found this very very funny...and also so disturbingly accurate. Also Kathleen's deck was totally bitchin.

Xocrates

May 4, 2008
Graham_LRR said:
We know that, we're confused as to why this somehow forces Kathleen to sac her own creature instead of the effect fizzling.
Gusplaysmagic already ninja-ed me, but I'll try to do it a bit clearer.

The "exile target creature" is an ability of the card that only occurs once the card hits the battlefield (exact wording "When Journey to Nowhere enters the battlefield, exile target creature"). So by saccing in response to casting the card, it would force the enchantment to target one of Kathleen's creatures.

The problem seems to be you were playing the card as an aura, as opposed to an enchantment. You never actually target a creature when casting the spell, only afterwards once the "enters the battlefield" condition is triggered.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
It amuses me greatly that I just watched this today, while I'm planning to unload all my old cards to a store the weekend after next. Holy crap that bag is heavy.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
I JUST started playing Magic for the first time yesterday. I am now scared. I hope this doesn't happen to me!
What was the app you were using?

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Lol great ep, reminds me of the old times I played with cards.

Off topic, could anyone enlighten me on how to play it with atleast a computer opponent without paying money?>.>"

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Graham_LRR said:
insanelich said:
Lady Kathleen said:
How can someone sacrifice go off before I've targeted them? As soon as I bring out the card and say "journey to nowhere" I've targeted the creature. I can understand the spell fizzling, but the only way to remove the creature before I targeted it would for Alex to be a psychic. It's stuff like this that makes magic seem unintuitive, ridiculous and unfun for casual players. And why I'd never play in any sort of official tournament or go to FNM.
The sacrifice enters at top of the stack as an instant and resolves first. Then there's Journey to Nowhere with no valid target anymore.

All of this became legal when they revised stack and removed interrupt, and believe me, it's so much clearer now.

Also, you'd be scratching your head 24/7 if you were against a counterburn deck like mine.
Oh yeah, sorry, misread Kathleen's original post.

I don't see why Kathleen would have to target her own creature either.

EDIT: Apparently someone does, though. Gyaah. Yeah, looks legit. Now this makes me think I should have made the counterdeck as blue/white for maximum annoyance.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
jonyboy13 said:
Lol great ep, reminds me of the old times I played with cards.

Off topic, could anyone enlighten me on how to play it with atleast a computer opponent without paying money?>.>"
No real way to play it without any money, but for five bucks you can buy Duels of the Planeswalkers on Steam. Also has online play. And 3 five buck expansion packs that are "optional".

Also premade decks, so that.