LoadingReadyRun: It's Magic

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
Am I strange for loving Magic, but never actually playing it with anyone? (I'd like to, but no one in the area plays it.)

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
Tree709 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I prefer to use Blue Decks...Even if I lose, I've pissed you off canceling your shit.
lol, I'm the same way. i have a deck thats ALL CANCELS. I can't actually win, but it take a hell of a long time to beat me.
In theory, if they went first, you might be able to mill them by normal drawing, in which case, you'd win. If they had cards that caused them to draw more, you'd win quicker.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Agent Monocle said:
Ah... Magic. It wasn't about winning. It was about building themes! My rabid wombat deck wasn't meant to win, but to feed him as many enchantments before I died... Or role playing with my pure wall deck. Saying, "Scruvy scum, you'll break my walls with your pathetic killer bees, for I have... FLYING WALLS! I will outlast your kind for the next century or end of lunch!"
I will sooner lose than break theme.

Making a good deck is easy, making a good deck that looks good is hard :p.

I hope Escapist has a contest in the future that results in the winner playing Graham Magic.

I'd be all up in that, taking first place like a champion.

Then I'd kill 2 birds with one stone.

1) I'd get to meet Graham.
2) I'd finally get to play someone magic again (slim pickings in my part of California).

I'm officially leaving this thread because the more I see it the happier I get.

Too much happy not good for getting to sleep on time.

TZer0

Jan 22, 2008
Heh, that's pretty much how magic (which, by the way is everywhere) works.

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
This was awesome! So many memories of getting stoned and trying to make sense of magic cards...

Oh and the only way to keep it fair is to just mix up all the cards in to a pile and each game re-build your decks. Tons of fun unless two people decide to play Urza's tower/mine/plant decks.

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
That was very entertaining, it's fun watching people play Magic, but I don't have the time to learn it myself. Gaming is addicting enough as it is. Nice job with the 'actual miagic' bit too, made me laugh when playing against Graham

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
AdmiralMemo said:
Am I strange for loving Magic, but never actually playing it with anyone? (I'd like to, but no one in the area plays it.)
No, that happened to me after my friends who taught me went to different schools after 6th grade (it closed).

Just teach your cousin (or sibling). That's what I did.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
Double A said:
AdmiralMemo said:
No, that happened to me after my friends who taught me went to different schools after 6th grade (it closed).

Two problems. Closest cousins are 20 miles away and not interested. (They'd rather play RuneScape.) I'm an only child.

So there go those options.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
AdmiralMemo said:
Double A said:
AdmiralMemo said:

Two problems. Closest cousins are 20 miles away and not interested. (They'd rather play RuneScape.) I'm an only child.

You sure they're not interested? Have you shown them an Eldrazi yet? Cthulhu gets most people interested in games they otherwise wouldn't play.

Anyway, try for your nerdiest friends first. After there are two players, it gets a whole lot easier to convert the lost to the Holy Pentagon.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
Double A said:
AdmiralMemo said:
Double A said:
AdmiralMemo said:

You sure they're not interested? Have you shown them an Eldrazi yet? Cthulhu gets most people interested in games they otherwise wouldn't play.

Anyway, try for your nerdiest friends first. After there are two players, it gets a whole lot easier to convert the lost to the Holy Pentagon.
First, I haven't been able to find any Eldrazi anymore. They've all changed to the new Mirrodin Rust or whatever it's called at the places I shop at. (Not that the new Mirrodin stuff is bad. I like it. Some of my biggest section of Magic cards is the original Mirrodin packs. This stuff looks cool. I've already bought 4 boosters of it.) I lost my job in April. I got a new job a month ago and just started to get some free cash to spend after paying for what I needed to pay for. So if I can find these Eldrazi, I'll buy them.

Second, I'm sure they're not interested. They are absolute Star Wars freaks and collect and play everything related to that. Not that that's a bad thing, but Magic is not their type of thing.
Also, I'm not sure the younger ones would be allowed. My uncle is pretty strictly against that type of stuff. Religious sensibilities and all that. Heck, I share most of his beliefs, and can see part of his point, but I'm more on the "law of liberty" from the Bible than he is. Just like I can see the point of those who don't like Harry Potter for the witchcraft and such, but I still don't agree with them. Just because they can't understand a healthy respect for the difference between reality and fiction should not influence my enjoyment of a good book/game/whatever. Harry Potter and Magic influence people with sorcery the same way that Doom (I think that was the game) influenced the Columbine shootings: These people had mental issues to begin with, and the fiction simply gave them a specific theme to use when they went nuts. If Doom did not exist, something still would have happened. It would simply have been influenced by a different game/book/TV show/etc. The personal issues are like a black-and-white drawing, and the fictional media are the colors. The result may be a different-looking thing, but it's basically the same, for all intents and purposes.

Third, friends? I have no real-life friends. All my friends are on the Internet. Ever since 11 years ago, when I graduated high school and left Boy Scouts, I've had no players for Magic.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
AdmiralMemo said:
Double A said:
AdmiralMemo said:
Double A said:
AdmiralMemo said:

First, I haven't been able to find any Eldrazi anymore. They've all changed to the new Mirrodin Rust or whatever it's called at the places I shop at. (Not that the new Mirrodin stuff is bad. I like it. Some of my biggest section of Magic cards is the original Mirrodin packs. This stuff looks cool. I've already bought 4 boosters of it.) I lost my job in April. I got a new job a month ago and just started to get some free cash to spend after paying for what I needed to pay for. So if I can find these Eldrazi, I'll buy them.

Second, I'm sure they're not interested. They are absolute Star Wars freaks and collect and play everything related to that. Not that that's a bad thing, but Magic is not their type of thing.
Also, I'm not sure the younger ones would be allowed. My uncle is pretty strictly against that type of stuff. Religious sensibilities and all that. Heck, I share most of his beliefs, and can see part of his point, but I'm more on the "law of liberty" from the Bible than he is. Just like I can see the point of those who don't like Harry Potter for the witchcraft and such, but I still don't agree with them. Just because they can't understand a healthy respect for the difference between reality and fiction should not influence my enjoyment of a good book/game/whatever. Harry Potter and Magic influence people with sorcery the same way that Doom (I think that was the game) influenced the Columbine shootings: These people had mental issues to begin with, and the fiction simply gave them a specific theme to use when they went nuts. If Doom did not exist, something still would have happened. It would simply have been influenced by a different game/book/TV show/etc. The personal issues are like a black-and-white drawing, and the fictional media are the colors. The result may be a different-looking thing, but it's basically the same, for all intents and purposes.

Third, friends? I have no real-life friends. All my friends are on the Internet. Ever since 11 years ago, when I graduated high school and left Boy Scouts, I've had no players for Magic.
Sheesh, that is kind of depressing, reading all that at once. Especially about the no friends part. Are you sure your uncle wouldn't let them? That just doesn't make sense. How is magic evil? Maybe you could play with white cards? And whoever gets to 40 life first wins?

You sure there isn't a nerd store that supports MTG in your area, though? One was in my area, but it closed. A year or two later, a new one opened up pretty much overnight, without me noticing until like 3 months later.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
My friends have been trying to drag me into playing this game for some time, this movie has finally helped me make up my mind. So, after watching this I called my friend and asked him if he wanted to teach me how to play. And I love it.

what have I done...

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I'm not sure if this is right or not, or if it's been pointed out, but I think there's a small continuity problem in the video. I just noticed that James is playing with what I would guess is the same pink covers that he bought later in the flashback of losing so badly. I guess it could be different covers, it just seems unlikely in my opinion.

Now that that's out of my system, funny vid. Makes me remember why I quit collecting playing cards in the first place.

OZITOMAI

Jul 8, 2009
this is probably one of my faves from you guys although with all saying i just love all your videos they are awesome times 10 :D