LoadingReadyRun: The Canadian

The_Tron

Jun 8, 2010
bdcjacko said:
Speaking as an American, Canada has day? I thought only really countries got days.
Just so you know Canada is the only country ever to get it's independence by asking nicely. So ya, it's a real country, and believe it or not the US couldn't survive without Canada as a trading partner. You get more than 70% of your natural resources from Canada. But as someone from a "real country" I'm sure you already knew that.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
The_Tron said:
bdcjacko said:
Speaking as an American, Canada has day? I thought only really countries got days.
Just so you know Canada is the only country ever to get it's independence by asking nicely. So ya, it's a real country, and believe it or not the US couldn't survive without Canada as a trading partner. You get more than 70% of your natural resources from Canada. But as someone from a "real country" I'm sure you already knew that.
I didn't know Canada was so insecure.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
The Canadian Mating Dance is exactly what I imagine the traditional dance of the Whitest People Possible would be. (Yeah, yeah, I know, Canada's percentage of white people is about the same as the U.S. and the actual Whitest People Possible are probably Scandinavian, but I can't make those jokes to the vikings, right? Let me have this.)

Anyway, great vid, guys. Give Ryan North my regards.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
ShogunGino said:
Raggedstar said:
ShogunGino said:
I think it might be more of a name than anything literal (though they don't advertise "Californian sandwiches". Just in the name). The first shop opened in 1960s Toronto (still exists today and I think the same family still owns it), so I don't know if there's any meaning behind the name. From your description of Californian cuisine, it's for sure more Italian than anything.
Uh, sorry, but not really. Avocados aren't an Italian crop, they originate from Latin America, and that's where they mostly come from: South America, Mexico, and some of the southern United States(which used to be part of Mexico).

Italian crops are things like tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, olives, and eggplant.

I mean, if I opened a 'Canadian Sandwiches' shop, and no poutine sandwiches, you'd probably get mighty pissed before saying 'sorry' a bunch of times and attempting the Canadian mating dance with one of the waitresses. /stereotype
I think we have a misunderstanding. I meant to say that the sandwich shop for sure is more Italian judging by your description of Californian cuisine. The "California" in the name is most likely just a name (as in it sound cool or something) and not a description. They don't sell "authentic California cuisine" and are famous as an Italian food shop. Hell, the first shop was in Toronto's Little Italy and the family that owns it is Italian.

The_Tron

Jun 8, 2010
bdcjacko said:
The_Tron said:
bdcjacko said:
I didn't know Canada was so insecure.
Don't take what I'm saying as a representative of the whole country. Besides I don't think it's being insecure pointing out facts to someone who's clearly trying to be irritating for the sake of provoking a foul response.

VoodooPuppeteer

May 28, 2011
Happy Canada Day!! The translation chunk made me smile because that's a UK complaint about American spelling - I didn't realise Canada used -our as well, cool :) Oh, and Kathleen's ad lib anatomy knowledge made me smile :p

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
I have actually had poutine here in Pakistan, from a cafe called Berristo89, because of LRR but it was french fries with mincemeat and cheese. Is it supposed to be like that?

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
Let's face it - the majority of this informational video could easily pass as one about us Brits too.

Theflyingass

Sep 10, 2008
Arif_Sohaib said:
I have actually had poutine here in Pakistan, from a cafe called Berristo89, because of LRR but it was french fries with mincemeat and cheese. Is it supposed to be like that?
That sounds more like Chili fries or a variant of it. Regular poutine is fries, gravy and cheese curds.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
That was the funniest damn thing I've seen all week, guys! *goes back to laughing self silly*

I've missed a few LRR's due to holidays, and this was my first one since I got back- it's good to be home (at the Escapist) again! :D

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
Gregg Johnson said:
Poutine with syrup sounds... dreadful.
I wouldn't say dreadful... It's just missing a few things.
Smoked salmon, Nanaimo bar, Cheezies... And especially Dave's Insanity Sauce.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Paul isn't a real Canadian! Where's his wood Axe? After all, all Canadians are lumberjacks!

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
The mating dance happens to look a lot like the sidewalk apology dance.

Which, I suppose, is appropriate.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
At long last a way of explaining my people to those other "humans" on this planet Earth.

I'm kicking myself for not seeing this on Canada Day.