LoadingReadyRun: The New Chess

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
JSW said:
And yet we'll still have to wait a couple more centuries before the game makes the jump to 3D.
Pfft. 3D chess? 4-dimensional, time travelling chess is where it's at:

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Timecube_Chess

You haven't truly tasted victory until you've used a time paradox in an alternate reality to capture an opposing piece in the future.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
babinro said:
This episode brings back call center memories for me.

We had access to an excel sheet between calls so myself and buddy created a game called: "Classic Chess". We created a rule set for the game based around the concept of Chaos Magic, where every turn a d20 is rolled to impact how the game is played for that individual player. We also added a rule that if you roll the same d20 result twice in a row than that effect becomes permanent for the rest of the game.

Some of the most absurd and fun examples were:
- Pawn Bomb: Select a Pawn on the Board and roll a D6. On each turn reduce that D6 by one. When the D6 would reach zero the pawn explodes killing itself and each piece in squares adjacent to it.

- Meteor: Randomly select a square on the chess board (easily done in excel). That square is struck by a meteor and any piece in that square is killed. The square can no longer be used. Only Knights may jump over that square.

- Diplomatic Immunity: Your king cannot be put into check or captured for 3 turns.

Needless to say, "Classic Chess" was hilarious and fun to play.
We even got a turn 2 checkmate via unlucky meteor roll!
Good times :)
That actually does sound fun! Could you make a document with the full ruleset?

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
truckspond said:
babinro said:
This episode brings back call center memories for me.

We had access to an excel sheet between calls so myself and buddy created a game called: "Classic Chess". We created a rule set for the game based around the concept of Chaos Magic, where every turn a d20 is rolled to impact how the game is played for that individual player. We also added a rule that if you roll the same d20 result twice in a row than that effect becomes permanent for the rest of the game.

Some of the most absurd and fun examples were:
- Pawn Bomb: Select a Pawn on the Board and roll a D6. On each turn reduce that D6 by one. When the D6 would reach zero the pawn explodes killing itself and each piece in squares adjacent to it.

- Meteor: Randomly select a square on the chess board (easily done in excel). That square is struck by a meteor and any piece in that square is killed. The square can no longer be used. Only Knights may jump over that square.

- Diplomatic Immunity: Your king cannot be put into check or captured for 3 turns.

Needless to say, "Classic Chess" was hilarious and fun to play.
We even got a turn 2 checkmate via unlucky meteor roll!
Good times :)
That actually does sound fun! Could you make a document with the full ruleset?
Unfortunately, no.

I haven't worked in that place for over two years and didn't think to take a copy of it. You pretty much have the rules already though as you just make up silly but fun things to do with the pieces and then balance them if you find it hurts the experience in a negative way. I'll post some of the other rules that I remember but may have been modified from actual play.

- Summon Reinforcements: Roll a d4 and return that many dead pawns back into play. They can only return on either of your two starting rows.

- (insert power name): You may move one bishop to an adjacent square of another colour. (I don't remember if we let this action capture a piece or not)

- Charge!: You may move up to 3 pawns this turn but cannot move the same piece multiple times.

- Get in Formation: You may move up to 2 different pawns this turn. Pawns move as though they were kings. A pawn can still only capture units as though it were a pawn.

- Warped World: Until the start of your next turn, pieces can move from one side of the board to the other logical side as though those squares were connected. For example, a queen can move backwards one square from it's starting position to capture your opponents queen from her starting position. This move cannot be used to capture a king.

- Mutiny: Choose any piece on the board you control. That piece is now your 'King' but still moves as it's normal unit type.

- Adrenaline Rush: Your King may act twice this turn. These actions can be used to capture units. (This one was hilarious because if you use your king to help trap your opponents king they can simply win the game with this roll) :p

- Roll twice and gain both benefits. (this is a good placeholder for multiple slots if you don't like certain rules or can't think of 20 good ones)

- Reincarnation: Return to play all units you lost on the prior turn. They can appear on any unoccupied square in your starting rows. (Upon winning the game your opponent gets one last roll in the off chance their king is reincarnated).

Note: Obviously some of these powers break the game if they are made permanent. Reincarnation and diplomatic immunity for example. Use your best judgement in these cases.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I lost it with the multiball bit.

JSW said:
And yet we'll still have to wait a couple more centuries before the game makes the jump to 3D.
Personally, I hope it goes 8-Bit. Retro is where it's at.

...What? >.>

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Namechangeday said:
I'm upset they still haven't fixed the "someone filps over the table and all the pieces go missing" bug. It's the main reason I keep losing all my pieces and I can't seem to get them all back.
There's an unofficial 'magnet' patch where the pieces stick to the board.