LoadingReadyRun: Wizard Chat

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Thunderous Cacophony said:
How can you have a whole section on wands vs. staves but never mention orbs?!? It's just shoddy journalism is what it is; in my millennia, you kids would have been set to scrubbing cauldrons for a week for such insolence.
Oh sure if you want to be the kind of pansy who doesn't carry around a phallic symbol.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I like how the screen in the background said the callers' name and question before they did. Clairvoyance!

Paul may have left his beard, but his beard never left him.

Silverback91

Oct 5, 2010
James Bowe said:
I'm a wand user myself but that's because I do mainly fine detail work rather than any ideological commitment to the wand camp.

However, leaving the wand vs stave argument to one side for a moment I'd like to know about magic rings: How many is too many? and should I be looking for large single cabochon showy items or would that be too gaudy?
As a staff user, I can still see the appeal of a wand, i just personally need the raw power and channeling that a staff can provide rather than the delicacy of a wand. On the topic of rings however, in my opinion a good rule of thumb is one ring per hand. Any more than that and you run the risk of some of the magic interfering with itself, or, by the Aether, some kind of catastrophic failure. And as for the size, that's all up to preference. Enchanting is more dependent on the quality of the stone rather than the size. If you can see the appeal of a larger amulet and ring set, by all means, have at it. For wizards in parties and on the go however, i would recomend against it. It makes you too much of a target for thieves and the like. I personally like to remain as anonymous as possible when traveling with my group, so my enchantments are rather understated. Most can barely even tell I am a wizard by looking at me, a fact I am quite proud of. Bandits have a tendency to dive on you once they know that you can set them all on fire with a thought, no?

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Say what you want, but if you can find a good lengh of ash and carve it yourself, I see no reason why a stave cannot be just as effective.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Ah yes, the age-old wand vs staff debate... As an accomplished mesmer, I prefer to split the difference with a lovely infused rapier. All the motility and dexterity of a wand, but with the combat ability and power of the staff. Additionally, you can infuse a simple pole scabbard and use it as a secondary casting implement or "short-staff". Overall, though, I'll have to agree that a wand is simply more versatile than a staff. Unless you absolutely, positively need something blinked out of existence and banished to terror realms unknown to mortal and wizard alike right now, or can't conjure a simple shield spell quickly enough that you need a big stick to defend yourself, a wand is simply the better tool. Look at it this way: for day-to-day tasks, which is the more useful? a pocketknife or a greatsword? (just imagine opening a package with a greatsword...)

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
I don't know, As an enchantress myself, I often find a low-cut robe to be all the *ahem* enhancement i need. These poor wizard-boys are so starved for the sight of a *ahem* good *ahem* woman, that they turn to putty in my hands...

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
nuba km said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Now I respect merlin as much as the next magic user, but lets face it he was very old fashioned he wasn't that respectful when it came to witches and he hardly had the most open minded opinion when it came to female wizards, just because they can't grow facial hair doesn't mean they can't cast good spells. I do say higher enchantment buffs is fine for the wizard who provides ranged support, but a helmet is second to non when it comes to the old problem of axe to the face which is a big problem for those mages who fight in the front. Thrull should be paid like any other employee you don't ask dwarfs to fight for equal payment.
Dwarves are a key ally in the war on goblin terror. Their kingdoms occupy a tenuous and strategically invaluable position in the Middle Mountain Range. They deserve all the aid we can give them and should never be criticized for anything. Did I ever tell you I spent my practical application semester at the Academy working in a mythril mine?
Agh! Again with the war on Goblin terror!

What about the Necromancers of North Kra va um??! We know they're using the neverending war with the southern kingdom to collect souls so they can complete the staff of a thousand terrors to summon highborn demons which they can then send to our enemies!

We need to seriously consider were our fine young battlemages are deployed and move them out of the Middle Mountain Range and into the Dragon Kingdoms of the east to show our might so that we may deter these blasted Necromages!

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Wands and staves? please!

Check it; have someone use unicorn blood to engrave your flesh with magic symbols. You get all the portability and ease of use of a wand (Plus, you'll never lose a tattoo), but your hands will be free, so if you need a way to defend yourself at close range, you can carry a weapon (Spellsowrds FTW).

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
kajinking said:
DVS BSTrD said:
nuba km said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Now I respect merlin as much as the next magic user, but lets face it he was very old fashioned he wasn't that respectful when it came to witches and he hardly had the most open minded opinion when it came to female wizards, just because they can't grow facial hair doesn't mean they can't cast good spells. I do say higher enchantment buffs is fine for the wizard who provides ranged support, but a helmet is second to non when it comes to the old problem of axe to the face which is a big problem for those mages who fight in the front. Thrull should be paid like any other employee you don't ask dwarfs to fight for equal payment.
Dwarves are a key ally in the war on goblin terror. Their kingdoms occupy a tenuous and strategically invaluable position in the Middle Mountain Range. They deserve all the aid we can give them and should never be criticized for anything. Did I ever tell you I spent my practical application semester at the Academy working in a mythril mine?
Agh! Again with the war on Goblin terror!

What about the Necromancers of North Kra va um??! We know they're using the neverending war with the southern kingdom to collect souls so they can complete the staff of a thousand terrors to summon highborn demons which they can then send to our enemies!

We need to seriously consider were our fine young battlemages are deployed and move them out of the Middle Mountain Range and into the Dragon Kingdoms of the east to show our might so that we may deter these blasted Necromages!
I would like to kill a dragon as much as the next battlemage, I mean dragon based weapons and armour are pretty awesome, I fear if we unnecessarily assault the dragon home land we may anger an elder dragon, some of these guys know how to cast meteor spells as if they were magic missiles. We need as many of our forces to fight the goblins in order to make sure they don't pull any flanking manoeuvres our simply try and go around us and attack villages. Also we have as many spirit catchers in use on the battle field as possible to try and minimise the souls the necromancers of north kra va um are getting.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
How can you have a whole section on wands vs. staves but never mention orbs?!?
Oy, don't get me started.

Obviously, the volume-to-surface area ratio can't be beat, but that's about it. And what happens when the oaf of a fighter in front of you bumps into you and makes you drop your Orb on to the stone dungeon floor? It gets [em]scratched[/em], that's what. You ever try casting a Purify Evil spell through a scratched Orb? [em][strong]Not[/strong][/em] pretty.

Even if you only drop it on dirt, you'll still ruin the AR coating (yes, I'm in the AR coating camp; sue me!). Unless it's kept in very fine cloth, you're going to get scratches and blemishes. And if you've got a sentient Orb with an attitude, heaven help you if you try to keep it in anything less than dragon silk.

And that volume-to-surface area ratio advantage is also its disadvantage. Those things are effing [em]heavy[/em] -- you'll be too encumbered to carry any loot. (Yes, you can mount an Orb on the end of a staff, but all that does is free up a pouch.)

So, yeah, Orbs are more of a lab tool, IMHO.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Oooh! I cant wait for that episode on how to decorate my pocket dimension! Its getting a touch cramped with the new alchemical laboratory on the 1/2th floor.

On the subject of casting devices. I was a staff user in my youth. Imbuing your mighty stave of rune carved adamantine with the power to light things it touches on fire is EXTREMELY useful... Especially if a friend forgets their own fire spell and wants to have a smoke.

Nowadays though I rarely perform such direct spell casting. Preferring to focus on the subtler more passive arcane arts like alchemy, enchanting and of course divination. However on the occasion where I need such a brash form of magic my trusty staff still serves me well.

CrmsnDragoon

Nov 20, 2009
I personally prefer the use of magic circles, but I can see a decent argument for either side, even though, out of the two, I prefer a wand, since it frees up a hand for chalk.

Alan Beirne

Dec 2, 2009
Is this a real forum? My cat walked on my keyboard and now I see people talking about staves and orbs and goblin terror. Every-time I look at the address bar I get a migraine and see a rainbow with eight colours. What's happening to me?

Traipse

Jun 1, 2011
Alan Beirne said:
Is this a real forum? My cat walked on my keyboard and now I see people talking about staves and orbs and goblin terror. Every-time I look at the address bar I get a migraine and see a rainbow with eight colours. What's happening to me?
I'm fairly sure that you want to get to your nearest warlock and have him determine whether your "cat" is one of the domesticated felines native to the mortal realm. Chances are if you get a migraine by looking at the address bar, it isn't. (Why are you pointing out the eight colours of the rainbow as if it's something new?)

You'll also need to have the fee in gold coins on you. (Preferably unenchanted ones; while positively enchanted coins are worth more, it's not easy to determine whether they're cursed at first glance.) Other precious metals will do in a pinch.

I've heard that some people in the mortal realm are using wood pulp derivatives for currency, which are just too flimsy and delicate for day-to-day transactions if you ask me. And you really don't want to start running up credit with the wrong warlock.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
ewhac said:

Obviously, the volume-to-surface area ratio can't be beat, but that's about it. And what happens when the oaf of a fighter in front of you bumps into you and makes you drop your Orb on to the stone dungeon floor? It gets [em]scratched[/em], that's what. You ever try casting a Purify Evil spell through a scratched Orb? [em][strong]Not[/strong][/em] pretty.

Even if you only drop it on dirt, you'll still ruin the AR coating (yes, I'm in the AR coating camp; sue me!). Unless it's kept in very fine cloth, you're going to get scratches and blemishes. And if you've got a sentient Orb with an attitude, heaven help you if you try to keep it in anything less than dragon silk.

And that volume-to-surface area ratio advantage is also its disadvantage. Those things are effing [em]heavy[/em] -- you'll be too encumbered to carry any loot. (Yes, you can mount an Orb on the end of a staff, but all that does is free up a pouch.)

Well, you're both right, usually orbs have their place and that place is worklab
BUT
my mentor had staff with orb on it, the orb was made from the huge polished blood diamond
that orb was resilient- you could whack rock golem few hundred times without any scratch on it
Of course blood and hemolymph still left stains on it so before casting high level spells some cleaning was necessary (mostly by me)
Now the hard part- price
Finely crafted black oak staff is expensive on it's own, blood diamond orb as well- now imagine price of combined item
I once asked her about the price, and she just smiled and said that it costs as much as few hundred powerful souls
It was some sort of family artifact, as far as I know
Also resonance is huge issue with such combinations, I can tell you that much
While staff and orb were in resonance, resonance wasn't stable, so expensive recalibration was necessary 2-3 times per century
While I dreamed about obtaining similar staff, I rationally realized I couldn't afford such maintenance :(

Jan 12, 2012
Eric the Orange said:
How can you have a whole section on wands vs. staves but never mention orbs?!? It's just shoddy journalism is what it is; in my millennia, you kids would have been set to scrubbing cauldrons for a week for such insolence.
Oh sure if you want to be the kind of pansy who doesn't carry around a phallic symbol.
I'm always carrying a phallic symbol. (I'm not even going to link to the appropriate meme, because you and I both know what I mean).
blackrave said:
ewhac said:

Well, you're both right, usually orbs have their place and that place is worklab
BUT
my mentor had staff with orb on it, the orb was made from the huge polished blood diamond
that orb was resilient- you could whack rock golem few hundred times without any scratch on it
Of course blood and hemolymph still left stains on it so before casting high level spells some cleaning was necessary (mostly by me)
Now the hard part- price
Finely crafted black oak staff is expensive on it's own, blood diamond orb as well- now imagine price of combined item
I once asked her about the price, and she just smiled and said that it costs as much as few hundred powerful souls
It was some sort of family artifact, as far as I know
Also resonance is huge issue with such combinations, I can tell you that much
While staff and orb were in resonance, resonance wasn't stable, so expensive recalibration was necessary 2-3 times per century
While I dreamed about obtaining similar staff, I rationally realized I couldn't afford such maintenance :(
Ewhac, it sounds like you're just buying low-quality orbs (not that I would expect more from someone who gets the AR coating; does your cauldron still have it's safety stand attached?). Like Blackrave said, a good orb is durable enough to withstand the rough and tumble of most dungeon crawls. It does require some maintenance, true, but that's what Unseen Servants are for. Price is an issue, but you have to look at what you're getting for it: The orb has much more storage capacity than any dozen wands, and any staff with a high-enough grain to hold the same volume and variety is going to be prohibitively expensive (plus you know it's going to have to come from a tree-ent in an old-growth forest, and if there's a druid in the party you'll never hear the end of it).

Also, it's not just about who can put out the biggest flash. I dare you to find a staff that offers the same divination and scrying potential as even the most basic orb on the market. You can't peer deep into the mists of probability if all you've got is a bit of wood, no matter how many arcane runes you've scribed upon it.

Bujiraso

Feb 12, 2011
Wow.
I've never seen Paul out of costume before.
(Only teasing! but that looks way too natural on him lol)

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
They HAD to bring up Wands vs Staffs. Sometimes I think they just bring on guests like that to draw in ratings with the controversy.

I'm a Wand user myself, but I know many good Wizards who swear by the Staff, and I see how they have their uses.

I'm currently in the employ of a High Lord in the Western valleys. I won't say who as I don't want to name drop. My job often finds me in the endless catacombs beneath his castle; clearing it of giant rats, ghouls, and even the odd Minotaur that end up there somehow.

As such my needs are different from the average wizard. Big pointy hats are the first to go as they're constantly get knocked off by the low ceilings. Flowing robes also tend to get caught on things, and end up filthy after barely an hour. I do, however, keep a hat and robe for more formal occasions. My point is that in my line of work a wand is essential. Tight corridors and low arches make staffs unusable as there just isn't enough room to move. A few years ago I was working with a young wizard. Capable lad, but he insisted on carrying a large staff with an ostentatious brass head; a family heirloom I discovered. It was a disaster with bolts of lightning going everywhere as the staff whacked against the walls. The damned thing even got stuck fast in a doorway once.

So it's wands for me. A good wand can last many lifetimes.

BrotherRool said:
Does he even know how a staff is meant to work? You're meant to walk with it, not carry it about like some handbag.
I bet your staff is fine for your Sünday strolls in the park, but when you're climbing a mountain, or scaling a wall it just becomes a hindrance. When you find yourself hanging to a rocky outcrop attacked by Furnace Sprites just try to swing a staff around.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
BrotherRool said:
Does he even know how a staff is meant to work? You're meant to walk with it, not carry it about like some handbag.
I bet your staff is fine for your Sünday strolls in the park, but when you're climbing a mountain, or scaling a wall it just becomes a hindrance. When you find yourself hanging to a rocky outcrop attacked by Furnace Sprites just try to swing a staff around.
Trust a wand boy to give up at the slightest bit of hardship. Good luck trying to bring down the mighty bridgy of GobAcKSpiridur and cast the firey Fli'thillion into the dark pits of Serenity with a piddly little staff. Go play with your wand, staffs are for men.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
BrotherRool said:
thenumberthirteen said:
BrotherRool said:
Trust a wand boy to give up at the slightest bit of hardship. Good luck trying to bring down the mighty bridgy of GobAcKSpiridur and cast the firey Fli'thillion into the dark pits of Serenity with a piddly little staff. Go play with your wand, staffs are for men.
There you go with that "Staffs are more powerful" nonsense. Millennia of study has shown conclusively that size has no bearing on the strength of a magical implement. It comes down to the quality of the materials and the skill of the user. A wand and a staff of the same construction, say ebony with a soul silver core (as is my wand), would be of the same power, but the staff would be many times the cost.