Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
well australia has kangaroo meat but they sell that in other places as well
OFFT:
also why do people call this thing a pie

when Ive always been told thats a tart or Giant pie, and this is a pie

also my friend says those "pies" (tarts or giant pie) suck

Offt(again)
I did some research and apparently our pies are called australian and new zealand meat pies

and South Australians I am disgusted that some of you find this edible

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Nothing in my region, but in Sweden we got a couple of things.
Surströmming for one!

How does it taste and smell, you wonder?
Not good.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, a few national foods I have in my country (Estonia) that i don´t think are very popular in other coutries are:
Black pudding(kinda like a sausage, but filled with some red weird stuff, but god dammit, it is so delicious...), kama (this is the name of it in Estonian, now idea how to say it in English. It´s sorta like a drink, i guess. Something like joghurt, but with lots of randomness. Quite good, I´d say). Uh, well, nothing else comes to mind.
And i doubt these are limited to only Estonia. Surely some countries have stuff like this.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Owlslayer said:
Well, a few national foods I have in my country (Estonia) that i don´t think are very popular in other coutries are:
Black pudding(kinda like a sausage, but filled with some red weird stuff, but god dammit, it is so delicious...), kama (this is the name of it in Estonian, now idea how to say it in English. It´s sorta like a drink, i guess. Something like joghurt, but with lots of randomness. Quite good, I´d say). Uh, well, nothing else comes to mind.
And i doubt these are limited to only Estonia. Surely some countries have stuff like this.
Black pudding is basically boiled blood. Just saying :D

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
Oh, in Arizona we have prickly pear cactus fruit candy and jelly that is pretty unique. Whenever I go to other places I always bring a little to give to the people I visit.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Well, there's wicked good lobstah, and ya can't fahget the clam chowdah.
Granted, other places have these things too, but we do it bettah dammit!

arkwright

Apr 1, 2009
Here in Kent in the UK we have the Whitstable oyster. Looks like snot and tastes like a mouth full of seawater.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
So, Ukraine has:
Borshch, varenyki, halushki, syrnyki, holodets, different kinds of pork and veal, deruny, and salo.
Hm, that is a lot.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
headshotcatcher said:
Owlslayer said:
Well, a few national foods I have in my country (Estonia) that i don´t think are very popular in other countries are:
Black pudding(kinda like a sausage, but filled with some red weird stuff, but god dammit, it is so delicious...), kama (this is the name of it in Estonian, now idea how to say it in English. It´s sorta like a drink, i guess. Something like yoghurt, but with lots of randomness. Quite good, I´d say). Uh, well, nothing else comes to mind.
Black pudding is basically boiled blood. Just saying :D
I kinda figured it had something to do with blood cause the direct translation of it from it's name in Estonian would be "Blood sausage". And i love it :D!

JFrog84

Jan 13, 2011
Sonicron said:
Well, there's Labskaus... although it can be found in large parts of Scandinavia as well.

It's basically slop, consisting of beef, potatoes, salty fish, onions and red beets; around here it's usually served with a side of red beets, pickles, fish and an egg on top.
Oh yes, and it tastes as great as it looks disgusting.

We inherited your dish and modified it! Here in Liverpool in the UK we have scouse kind of a similar thing it was brought here by your skandinavian decendents only we never have fish or egg with it. can be great to add a bit of curry powder to it for an extra kick.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Champ Sandwich. You know Champ, the Lake Champlain Monster? Cousin to Nessie, the Loch Ness Monster?

We caged Champ and are using its offspring to make sandwiches.

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008
I would never use the word 'delicacy' to describe one, but the parmo. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmo] Perfectly good chicken... ruined.

Leadfinger

Apr 21, 2010
ike zukuri. It's a kind of sashimi that's served up partially alive, so it wriggles about.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
JFrog84 said:
Sonicron said:
Well, there's Labskaus... although it can be found in large parts of Scandinavia as well.

It's basically slop, consisting of beef, potatoes, salty fish, onions and red beets; around here it's usually served with a side of red beets, pickles, fish and an egg on top.
Oh yes, and it tastes as great as it looks disgusting.

We inherited your dish and modified it! Here in Liverpool in the UK we have scouse kind of a similar thing it was brought here by your skandinavian decendents only we never have fish or egg with it. can be great to add a bit of curry powder to it for an extra kick.
(I'm not actually Scandinavian, but what the hell. :p)
I'd heard you guys had a local variation of labskaus. So, it's called, 'scouse', eh? Even sounds almost the same as the original term.
I'll make a mental note to add some curry powder the next time I have this dish, sounds like quite an interesting combination of flavours. You should try it with an egg on top, it's really good; the fish isn't really necessary, but even though I'm not usually a fan of its sour flavour, it blends quite well with the main dish.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
we'll we did invent the Yorkshire pudding, but were that nice we shared it with the rest of the world!

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
Not sure you could call it a delicacy, nor am I sure how common the combination is out in the world, but here in belgium we have the "Uitsmejter", which is basically bread, cheese, ham, and some fried egg layered ontop. Often contains copious ammounts of mayo too.

Man do I love it :D

Mrrrgggrlllrrrg

Jun 21, 2010
Wisconsin

We have some of the best food in the midwest. We even have kangaroos for meat. Eat it Minnesota.

But seriously we have almost everything, borshch, pies, schnitzel, blood sausage, even kim-tooamazingforwords-chi. Look hard enough and you can probably find any food your heart could possibly dream of.