lollipop Chainsaw is a terrible idea.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
dyre said:
I swear, if I ever become an eccentric billionaire, I'm going to fund a ridiculous, crazy video game that has over the top violence and portrays women as sex objects ever time I see someone spout some rhetoric about "setting us back as a medium" or "hurting our recognition as an art form."
And I will buy it. Because people used to (and often still do!) say the exact same things about trashy/racy/controversial books and films. The world adjusted to Mills & Boon. I'm sure it can cope with Lollipop Chainsaw.

Smertnik said:
So in order for video games to have the same artistic value and freedom as movies they should have less artistic freedom?
Exactly. Let us have our fun. As far as I'm aware, games are in no immediate danger of suffering any more censorship than films/literature are subject to, so why the rush for the industry to censor itself?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
HigherTomorrow said:
Jack and Calumon said:
...or has to be put on the roof of the Sistine chapel. Sometimes you just draw a man's pork sword.
Isn't there a drawing of a man's pork sword on the roof of the Sistine chapel already?
There's many. Michaelangelo had many frustrations while painting up there, lying on his back, alone, for hours on end.

Some say that if you look hard enough, you see a smudge on one of the naked women there, as if he was cleaning something off it. Some say it's on one of the naked men.

Calumon: I don't get it. :S

Thatguyky

May 23, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Art is shit.
Bring on the zombies!
^ Haha good sir you win! :p

Anyways as many people have mentioned every game doesn't have to be "art" or have some epic, serious story. If anything, I'm more afraid/tired of games trying to be art. More games should just try to be straight up fun and entertaining not art. If I wanted that I'd go to a museum or something.

Plus even if games were considered art now I wouldn't worry about lolipop chainsaw damaging its reputation. Pretty much every medium for supplying art has creations that are considered degrading, and they live on just fine. The crap usually just gets swept under the table and forgotten when it comes to "art".

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
wooty said:
Things like Katamari Damacy, Boogerman, Rocket Knight Adventures, Postal 2, Ristar, Earthworm Jim just to name a few. Hell, even Mario is weird once you take a step back and look at it.

Theyre the kinds of games I meant, just weird and fun to play, not bothered about morals, messages or wanting to be taken seriously by the "mainstream media", just wanting to played and enjoyed.
Boogerman i did play but believe me when i said that there is WEIRDER out there.

MDK2, Messiah, Sacrifice (still has a well put together story, mind you. Also all those games were from SHINY Entertainment before it bite the dust), GodHand, Dungeon Keeper, Abe's Odyssey, The entire library made by Treasure: Dinamite Headdy, Strech Panic, Alien Soldier, Gunstar Heroes, Mischief Makers.

Yume Nikki, Chakan The Forever Man, Splatterhouse series, Hyper Princess Pitch, Tyrian, Blood, Noitu Love 2 and THe Binding of Isaac

The golden age of gaming never died, it just out there for you to look at.

PD: Is it me, or is it possible that Boogerman may be the ONLY videogame adaptation to film that Michael Bay couldnt fuck up? If he were to make a movie out of it he wouldnt change anything because there is already plenny of fart jokes to go around.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
DigitalAtlas said:
Fun fact for everyone in here: Lollipop Chainsaw IS NOT being developed by Suda 51.
Your right it's not, it's only being directed and produced by Suda51.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
I stand corrected then, I swore I read that it was being directed by Goichi Suda as well as being produced.

TaintedSaint

Mar 16, 2011
Winnosh said:
EA's Deadspace 2 advertisement of "Your Mom will hate it" did more to set back gaming than 20 of these types of games that actually deserve being there.
I agree with this as well..terrible

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
TaintedSaint said:
Gaming as a whole in recent years has tried to prove to the world that it is a valid artistic medium on par with film and should be protected under the first amendment I believe games like Lollipop Chainsaw do nothing but hurt the progress
that the medium has made of the years.
People in politics over the years have said that games are too violent and have too much sex in them and this game is blatantly throwing it in everyone face. Sure the game companies can say "its a mature game kids should not play it" But come on its a half naked chick in a schoolgirl uniform killing zombies basically every 14 year old boys wet dream.
I for one and not normally one to cry that games have too much sex and violence but this game is blatantly spiting in the face of all the hard work game developers have fought for for so long.

It's been done and I don't think it's damaged the medium in any way.

EDIT:

D Moness said:
Gordon_4 said:
TaintedSaint said:
But come on its a half naked chick in a schoolgirl uniform killing zombies
Well I'm sold. Here I come Lollipop Chainsaw >D
The way you quoted it reminds me of the game onechanbara(also made into a live action movie). If the gaming scene can survive onechanbara it will survive lollipop chainsaw.
I just can't believe they tried to put in a serious story into such a silly concept.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
TaintedSaint said:
Gaming as a whole in recent years has tried to prove to the world that it is a valid artistic medium on par with film and should be protected under the first amendment I believe games like Lollipop Chainsaw do nothing but hurt the progress
People in politics over the years have said that games are too violent and have too much sex in them and this game is blatantly throwing it in everyone face. Sure the game companies can say "its a mature game kids should not play it" But come on its a half naked chick in a schoolgirl uniform killing zombies basically every 14 year old boys wet dream.
I for one and not normally one to cry that games have too much sex and violence but this game is blatantly spiting in the face of all the hard work game developers have fought for for so long.
Actually, the point of games is to let your hair down and have fun. The last thing we need is for people to start declaring what games should not be, or where they should not go.

To be honest, I've spent a lot of time crusading for games to push the envelopes of sex, violence, and other things, and keep moving forward in how far they will push the content envelope, rather than settling into what the mainstream considers to be "acceptable".

I wouldn't want to see every game be what "Lollipop Chainsaw" is setting out to do (or so it seems), but I do very much think this kind of game, all high camp and adult immaturity is one of the things the industry needs to take seriously.

Deep, mature, stories and products have their place, but that isn't always what people are in the mood for. To be honest I expect "Lollipop Chainsaw" to become a major cult classic like most of SUDA 51's work and it will probably be being referanced for years to come.

I kind of get the impresison that it's basically "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" combined with "The Evil Dead" and a bunch of LSD. Sounds like good times to me. Truthfully I think more games like this should be created, rather than ones being designed more or less by committee, aimed at what is going to appeal to the most people as inoffensively as possible.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
-Dragmire- said:
TaintedSaint said:

It's been done and I don't think it's damaged the medium in any way.

EDIT:

D Moness said:
Gordon_4 said:
TaintedSaint said:
The way you quoted it reminds me of the game onechanbara(also made into a live action movie). If the gaming scene can survive onechanbara it will survive lollipop chainsaw.
I just can't believe they tried to put in a serious story into such a silly concept.
Well, it can be done, it just takes better writers than they had for Onechanbara. If you look at say "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" that show went on for a good number of years and had a spin off ("Angel") and everything. The whole idea of "Schoolgirl uses super strength and kung-fu skills to fight zombies and demons in metaplot filled storylines where the specifics of most encounters form an analogy to something in teen life" is pretty silly as well, and to be honest the show was high camp horror/action/comedy.

Given the success of things like say "Charlie's Angles" both in TV and in the movies (the remake got a sequel) and other shows like "Alias" it's not surprising that someone thought that they could do a good show/movie out of an all-girl team of monster fighters each with their own specialtiy. To be honest someone probably still can, it's just that in this case neither the game writers or the movie writers could anything else going except "there are girls, and they fight monsters!".

Honestly I've kind of thought that Onechanbara or something similar could be good if you say got the guys who did the "Danger Girl" comics to write it. Criticism aside, they did manage to carry that on through a number of limited runs, and most of them were looked on pretty favorably. They managed to balance the camp, the eye candy, and the writing very well. Of course whether that team could move to movies or TV the way Joss Whedon was able to move to comics remains to be seen, not many people can transition between media that easily.

vashthblackseed

Mar 31, 2011
Gaming as a whole in recent years has tried to prove to the world that it is a valid artistic medium on par with film and should be protected under the first amendment I believe games like Lollipop Chainsaw do nothing but hurt the progress that the medium has made of the years.
Does that mean movies like the Saw series or Law Abiding Citizen have done the same? No? Well there you go.
A game, just like a movie, book, etc can be a work of art. At the same time it can be an utter waste of time and money. What one piece of a medium does cannot be taken as a whole for that medium.

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
Considering there was an entry that won an art competition that was a man pissing blood into a urinal to make it look like iron man.... We don't need to worry about games setting back the medium, the medium is fine and will be fine. The thing is, this is our medium, older people that have not grown up with it, won't understand, and are fighting against it. Video Games are ruining our childrens lives, making us all violent homophobic stupid monsters that hate women and want to shoot up a bank full of innocent people if what they say is to be believed. It's kinda like what TV went through. Video Games are just getting themselves settled in like every other media has before it and there will be tons of people bitching about it. In 40 years, no one will give a shit and games will be commonplace, we just have to get through the growing pains and listen to politicians and TV show hosts screaming about games being the cause of every atrocity happening in today's world. Hell, according to Fox News, after playing a video game for an hour I should have turned into a mindless slobbering rapist, yet I think I'm doing just fine.
You don't want the game, then don't buy it, but it's not going to destroy the medium or set it back. It might be crude, but that's how some art is.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
You know... sometimes I wanna sit back and think about the meaning of life (Legion, why must you be so awesome?), and sometimes I just wanna sit back and shoot baddies in the dick, and then laugh like an 8-year-old while they writhe in pain.

Like someone else said, gaming has survived DoAX (and its abominable sequel... but hey, you get to see Ayane happily massage Kasumi, that a plus in my book), The Guy Game, Leisure Suit Larry, even games way before like Miss World '96 or whatever it's called (don't look this up if you value your nightly dreams) and the infamous Custer's Revenge.

So chill. You're making a big deal out of nothing (I should really expect that at this point...).

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
also if your an anime fan suda 51's otaku power-level leaked with kore no zombie "is this a zombie" dlc coustume of haruna for the main character. I am getting it to mainly because games are meant to be fun, also peeps have clip of said anime.

That's awesome.
I was looking forward to this game and I am a fan of that anime. I was glad to find out it got a second season.

I just found the japanese trailer for costumes.
There's Highschool of the dead and Deadman Wonderland costumes as well!
Do want!

ChadSexington

Apr 14, 2011
I see this as art, it kind of reminds me of Natural Born Killers in it's own way. That kind of over the top, kinda goofy violence. That movie is a cult classic, why shouldn't this game be one?

Furthermore, just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's not art. Art by nature isn't necessarily good or bad, it's subject to opinion.

targren

May 13, 2009
Gordon_4 said:
TaintedSaint said:
Still got a month and a half to wait, though. :p If you haven't already, you might grab a used copy of Onechanbara for like $15. Same wacky crap, great for mindless zombie slaughter.

WTF is Amazon smoking that new copies are $79.99 though? GStop has it NEW for $14.99...

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
I could not give any less fucks about games being considered art as I do right now.

A game's first and only job is to be entertaining and keep me amused.

And games being overly pretentious sometimes gets in the way of that.

I'd rather gaming be considered a passtime for all eternity and get random gems of nonsensical violence with my artsy games than for every game to suddenly try to have some deep underlying meaning.