Long-Haul Gaming

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Once again, the book "Game Addiction" by Clark and Scott covers that aspect in detail, so if you're interested...

Overall, taking a look at your life is probably the best way to figure it out.

btw is that second picture from south park?

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Oh my.
30 to 50 hours? That's a lot. I have trouble just staying awake for 24 hours or so.
But if isn't totally wrecking that guy's health, then it's damn amazing.

Apr 28, 2008
Wow, and I thought my 14 hours of straight Civ5 play was long. I really don't know how this guy does it.

If he can do that and still fulfill all his real-life obligations, I don't see much of an issue. Though it'd probably be best to take a one hour break every now and then.

Also, I was worried that Dr. Mark wouldn't be posting anything anymore, since its been quite a while since his last article. Glad to see I was wrong.

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
Good to see this column is still up, I haven't seen it pop up for a while, guess I've missed them.
I have never played a game for more than 10 hours in one sit, but the times I've done so were due to games like STALKER and Far Cry 2. Games that immerse a lot, and keep giving you stuff to achieve.

So you're also over sensitive to pollen, I've been so for as long as I can remember. And the list of pollen I'm sensitive to has only increased over the years, so I spend most of my time in the summer indoors hiding from plants.
Recently though I've tried getting a hypnosis treatment against it, and it's actually working really well. The theory behind why we get those reactions to pollen and why hypnosis works is also worth checking out.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
30-50 hours.....

yay! by comparison, I don't have a problem!

I've spent a whole day gaming, but I take breaks... then sleep for 18 hours...

... I'm healthy.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
You know, I consdier myself a gamer, but the longest I've ever played is six maybe seven hours in one sitting.

What can I say, I just puss out. I like things like food, sleep, private places to do private business.

Aug 25, 2009
I can and have spent long long hours playing games. And I did it a lot more when I was younger as well. Back then it was definitely the escapism aspect, not helped by my not-yet-diagnosed Bipolar Disorder and Autism.

Nowadays I'm a lot better, but I still occasionally settle in for the long haul. When I got Mass Effect 2 I finished the whole thing in about three days, and my final hour count was over fifty hours play-time so...

The worst offender was definitely Final Fantasy IX though. When I was 11/12 I couldn't put that game down, and it was long enoguh to engage me for that long. Nowadays it's easier to not play for hours because you can finish a whole game in about 5-8 hours.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Wonder how much of playing so much comes from playing in a world you can control versus horrible real life with its other people wanting me to do things... how dare they!

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
The SettingSun said:
30-50 hours. Lawdy, i thought i was badass spending 9 hours on Red Dead Redemption.
Cataclysm release I did 64 hours straight, didn't feel tired at all. I'm not mental, keep in mind but I do have issues with sleep from time to time. I rarely choose to do it.

Sir Boss

Mar 24, 2011
wow. just wow. i've done a nine hour marathon, but that was at a LAN, by myself my longest was about 4 hours. Thirty to foutry hours? yee gods.

Uriel_51

Dec 6, 2010
I'm not going to lie, some of you guys' numbers are kind of scary. I love to game, and some long bouts can last 4-6 hours. But After school and work, I just don't have enough time in the day for more than that.

I think it must be safe to assume the question asker doesn't have any significant responsibilities. I guess he could work for few days on, few off, but he didn't mention that. He also probably doesn't have children or a significant other, or have anyone they have to look after. It sounds almost as though they're living somewhere rent is taken care of, food is bought and cooked for them, and they don't hold any adult responsibilities. Sounds like the perfect environment to escape into a fantasy world more interesting than reality.

Personally, I'd say yes it's unhealthy because 30 hours of a single activity is overkill. Sure, if you enjoy it that's great but seeing as how that something is a fantasy MMO and the person isn't stopping to do anything else I would call that an addiction. Addictions don't necessitate that the addicted hates his vice. There are plenty of folks who love smoking a pack of cigs a day, and tell themselves they can quit any time but just don't want to. The test would be for him to cut down his time to 3-5 hours, and do other stuff for the rest of the day. If he can't bear it or feels like nothing else is worth doing than I'd say he's lost in the abyss of addiction.

I played FFXI for about 3 years at the end of high school and into my first years of community college. At it's height, I woke up and began play immediately. I stopped only shortly to heat up microwave food from my parent's freezer. I played strait through the day, probably anywhere from 12-16 hours a day. After being long out of that scenario I would say I was definitely lost in the fantasy and was quite addicted. I'll never do that again, there just simply isn't enough time to lead two social lives. I like to spend real money, learn knowledge about the real world, and have sex with my real girlfriend.

Simply put, this kid is completely and unhealthily addicted. Hobbies that enrich our lives are always good, as are games. Having that hobbie hijack your life is not.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Can someone explain to me how the fuck these people play so long without their hands and joints screaming in pain?

I have no medical problems but if all I do all day is sit and play games, my hands, wrists, and joints hurt like hell. Im in better shape I've no doubt than most of these people so I don't know what the deal is.

DethKid

Feb 16, 2011
finally just got around to playing Fallout new vegas..

I work a full-tim job, live my girlfriend, have family and friends and other projects i am working on...

however i actually got to play it for like 6 hours straight and i was so happy

i havent had a session like that in a year or more

at the end of it i was pretty wrecked so i dont know how this dude does 50..

but at the same time i do enjoy the "enchanted feeling" after you stop feeling and your mind is racing and even when you are sleeping you dream about picking up loot

haha

game with moderation...life is good...and gaming is meant to be a game

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
There is no way in hell I will ever reach 30-50 hours...
I barely reached 12 hours without totally passing out. That is an achivement there.