Long Live 2D

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I think Little Big Planet is a great example of a great modern 2D game.
Sure the graphics are a mix of 2D and 3D, but it plays like a classic 2D platformer.

The controls are easy, just 2 buttons (not including moving), jump and grab.
Easy to learn, hard to master.

What I like about it the most is that it focuses on gameplay (you know, like in fun) and not graphics.
Remember when gaming used to be about fun?
I better stop now, before this turns into a full blown rant.

Anyway, good article Shamus!

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
What old 2D game really needs to be resurrected and given another chance?
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I reeeally want to play a new Vandal Hearts or Shining Force game. They were both 2D in a 3D kind of way (kinda, sorta), so I'm not sure if they count, but if they do then those are my choices.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
I think games that use the concept of fishes eating smaller fishes would look awesome with futuremark-like graphics and also you-eat-all-smaller-than-you concept of Tasty Planet would look delicious in 3D graphics(but with exactly same gamepaly). PS:there's nothing wrong with eating. and maybe games that people 19 years old never knew should get 3D iterations.

TheGreenGoblin

Jun 4, 2009
I went through Metroid 1 on the NES, Metroid 2 on the original four-shades-of-green Game Boy, and Super Metroid on the SNES. When they made a 3D Metroid I couldn't relate. Sure it was Samus--a sexier Samus than the world had ever seen. But then Zero Mission came out on the Game Boy Advance/DS and everything was right again. By the way, most fans of the series still hail Super Metroid as the best game in the series.

I went out and bought BlazBlue because it is a great example of how beautiful today's technology can make a 2D game. Character development, story, and plot require no technology at all, and just about anything an artist visualizes in 2D can be brought to life in a game.

The burning question in the review (that made me reply) is the one regarding Which 2D titles should be brought back and given another chance?

The top of my list is Guardian Legend from the NES. You're a robot and then you transform into a jet for flying stages--it was Zelda meets R-Type and it worked. Well, growing up with Transformers, video games can't get cooler than that. Did I mention the beam saber?

Anyway: Genie, I wish for another 2D Zelda. And another 2D Metroid but make it like Super Metroid where the game seems linear but it really isn't if you know what you're doing. (Where the optional bosses like Crocomore are FUN instead of CHORES like a 50-MILLION HP Dragon in FF12.)

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Hell yes, I wasted an entire summer on The Guardian Legend.

P.S. Thanks

Aedwynn

Jan 10, 2009
I think Sonic the Hedgehog should go back to 2D, although that's probably just nostalgia speaking.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
I would say Diablo 2, but now that Diablo 3's coming out, I'm at a loss...

If you want 2D, the indie market is always what I turn to.

I suggest:
Spelunky,
Cave Story,
Knytt Stories,
Knytt,
La Mulana,
and The Underside

That should keep anyone occupied for a while.

Boxinatorizore

Mar 25, 2009
I think part of the reason for the lack of 2D games is that most developers probably find it more interesting to work in 3D environments. I personally like to work with 3D over 2D. Although i do believe there should be more 2D games or quote-unquote "2.5D games".

Boxinatorizore

Mar 25, 2009
Aedwynn said:
I think Sonic the Hedgehog should go back to 2D, although that's probably just nostalgia speaking.
No that's common sense... unless they start making the 3D ones more like the Dreamcast one... a.k.a. good.

MentalBakura

Welcome To Das Oontz
Feb 21, 2009
I'd love a new Metroid side-scroller. On a semi-related note, would I be recommended to try Shadow Complex? I like what I've seen, a lot.

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
I do think there's room in the world for 2D games, and someone mentioned the popularity of a lot of Flash games. I'd also add that a lot of handheld games are largely 2D, or "2.5D", and the Nintendo DS and its library are certainly turning a profit.

The issue is convincing designers for next-gens and PCs that they could make money doing it. Which given that it's cheaper to do, it's strange that that's so hard. But I always figured to qualify to be a video game marketer, you have to have all common sense beaten out of you with a mallet, so there we are.

Now your turn: What old 2D game really needs to be resurrected and given another chance?
I'll go with the mentioned Torment. I don't want to see a sequel--it doesn't need it--but I'd love to see a "10th Anniversary Edition" with a boost in resolution and some of the edited out/unfinished content put back in. Maybe a slightly smoother interface if it was workable (I recall combat could get a little clunky with the "remote control" interface they had).

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Hmm...

Well, you forget that most game designers/developers are often trying to create things that go beyond current technical capabilities.

Sure, it's easy to miss the fact that games are supposed to be fun, but most games get made in spite of technical limitations, rather than with a specific artistic vision.

Also... Marketing. Listen to certain groups (such as makers of games along the lines of Civilisation.) and you'll realise a lot of companies go 3d just for the sake of it, because publishers wouldn't release the game otherwise.

Civilisation is an excellent example in and of itself. - Civilisation 4 makes use of 3d graphics.

Why though? - It doesn't accomplish anything that wasn't already perfectly functional in older versions...
So really, it's in there just for the hell of it.

And that, for a while at least, was a sad truth of the mainstream publishers.

They told developers, PUT 3D IN YOUR GAME OR WE WON'T PUBLISH IT!

Is it any wonder developers did what they were told here?

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
I'd give my left arm for a Lost vikings reboot.

Wait, then I couldn't play it.

I'd give someone else's left arm for a Lost Vikings reboot.
If you're hankering for some Lost Vikings, try Trine. It's not quite the same, but it might spark the flame up again. It did for me.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Personally, I'd like every 2d game that utilize 2d art to look somewhat like Odin Sphere or Oboro Muramasa. The games themselves might be a bit lacking (can't hold judgment for Muramasa just yet, though I have beaten Odin Sphere), there's no denying that they looked pretty. Kinda like playing through a story book. You just can't capture the same effect in 3d (at least not yet, maybe you will get to make this one Shamus).

Crops

Probably more bored than you
Aug 16, 2009
Hmm...

Another reason to look into 2D again would be graphics. We are at a point where designers can really take 2D graphics to the max, where 3D has only recently outgrown the shoes of 'acceptable' into 'hey this is pretty ok'. An example would be Streetfighter 4, which is a fairly large step backwards after SF3: 3rd strike (from the 90's) in my opinion.
As soon as you've reached the peak of looks, you can start focusing more and more on gameplay mechanics.

Apart from fighters, Metal Slug, Megaman, Ghosts 'n Goblins and Castlevania are some examples of games that have 3D-era installments with 2D style gameplay, but it seems like there's not much of a market for these games.
Most people just shrug with a simple "It's not even 3D, how outdated" and move on.

With a group of friends, we used to do Megaman X speedruns when we got together, new people would walk in and ask why we were playing that stupid old game on a PS2 when there were so many good looking games out on the market. I guess 2D is too easily lined up with Ugly, Outdated and Stupid nowadays.

As for remaking old franchises, I would prefer some completely new games instead. As soon as anyone comes up with a 2D game that fully utilises HD and has proper length and gameplay, maybe 2D will start making a comeback.

Oh, and Xbox live arcade doesn't count, those aren't really new games most of the time.

man-man

Jan 21, 2008
Worms 3D was a mistake that I'm surprised hasn't already been mentioned. The whole worminess of Worms just does not translate to a 3D world.

Love me some 2D Worms though.

dragonburner

Feb 21, 2009
Shank is getting a lot of publicity at PAX. I think beat em ups need to make a comeback. Those are fun.