Long Live 2D

dragonburner

Feb 21, 2009
Also I think Mortal Kombat could go back to those cool 2d sprites from MK2 and stuff. I liked those.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
I'd give my left arm for a Lost vikings reboot.

Wait, then I couldn't play it.

I'd give someone else's left arm for a Lost Vikings reboot.
This. I'd also love to see a return to the world of Abe's Oddysee without the 3D-itude of Stranger's Wrath. As well as that game fit into the universe, what I truly loved about the originals was the nasty puzzles coupled with the disturbing, metal-strewn violent environments, or the lush, natural violent environments. And, of course, one button always set aside for farting.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Gerazzi said:
I would say Diablo 2, but now that Diablo 3's coming out, I'm at a loss...

If you want 2D, the indie market is always what I turn to.

I suggest:
Spelunky,
Cave Story,
Knytt Stories,
Knytt,
La Mulana,
and The Underside

That should keep anyone occupied for a while.
Sorry about the double post, but I thought someone who listed these titles either missed one of the best or somehow hasn't heard of it. (It's possible you tried it and didn't put it in your top list but I thought I'd throw it out there) An Untitled Story. Another indie classic that holds up a lot of great 2-D standards. Also, with Knytt stories, make sure you get all of Nifflas's downloadable levels, they are truly the limit.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
It's not really that 2D games are made anymore, it's just that they don't receive any publicity whatsoever. Odin Sphere, Castle Shikigami 3, Ikaruga, GrimGrimoire, and so on. Sure, maybe in the last 2-3 years we haven't seen as many, but there are still plenty of 2D games with decent amounts of cash being put into them.

That said, I'd like to see even more 2D games. It's a genre I have a great fondness for, ever since the days of Chrono Trigger and Super Mario World.

The Metal Slug series and King of Fighters are still going strong after all this time, though, so that's a couple more to add to the list.

Helicockter

Aug 6, 2009
I defy any company to make as much content and gamespace as they had in those old side-scrollers. Super Mario could afford to give players more content than they could handle. The core game was long and diverse, and then there was a massive side-helping of hidden stuff and bonus levels. 3D games don't do that. They can't afford to make half the content "optional," because then the games would be about two hours long.
huh? this is at odds with everything I've experienced of game evolution. Surely games are getting longer and more complex with the jump to 3D.

super mario had 32 levels, each taking a couple of minutes to run perfectly if you were a skilled player. mario 64 onwards.... well, http://www.mariomarathon.com/ you can see that 100%-ing the old games took about 1-2 hours. Mario 64 took 11 hours and sunshine and galaxy even longer (and I think that's based on starting from the partial play-throughs they already had in hand). Even just doing the bare minimum on 64 (without glitching it out to jump through walls), about 1/2 the availible content, took longer than 100%-ing any of the 2D games. 3D games like Mario, Zelda, GTA etc are CHOCK full of optional content and side quests, in the 3D marios you don't even have to visit every WORLD, let alone attempt every "level" (star, shine etc). Other genres, like jRPGs, have barely changed gameplay wise with the 2D/3D switch, with changes being largely cosmetic. And for every 3D game that forces you to explore every part of its small limited world, you can find an old 2D game that was equally linear.

as for the death of 2D, it hasn't died, just migrated. you don't NEED the full power of a PS3 or 360 to power a good 2D game, and you don't need the development team of a full AAA title and a price tag to match. Instead, 2D games are moving to handhelds, downloads and browser games. There are tons of great and *popular* 2D flash games, casual download games, handheld games and PSN/live games, they are just as mainstream as the big 3D AAA titles but because they are cheaper or found on more milited systems they are less part of the perceived market.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
man-man said:
Worms 3D was a mistake that I'm surprised hasn't already been mentioned. The whole worminess of Worms just does not translate to a 3D world.

Love me some 2D Worms though.
I think it's not been mentioned because of Armageddon 2 on Xbox Live. They realized they went the wrong direction with the series and they've done it right this time around.

I'd love to see games like Oddworld again, not the 3D ones but the games featuring Abe. That or Flashback or Lost Vikings.

Jackpot

Mar 21, 2008
Your argument is off track.

For a very long time, independent games have been in 2d, and with it, the charm and cost reduction have been major contributors to their success. Be it gish, Democracy or castle crashers, they've been made in 2d, and been hugely successful, either critically, or financially.

Pretty much 90% of all casual games are in 2d, especially the more successful ones (peggle, bookworm adventures, bejeweled).

cptpillowcase

Sep 8, 2009
Last 2D console game I played was "Power Rangers: Super Legends" :( Maybe a worms style game with LBP physics and mechanisms would be good.

Da Ork

Nov 19, 2008
I'd love to see the old style Duke Nukem games with some new crazy storyline :)

Also the game with the helicopter and the tank. It had cooperative play before I realised how cool that was and I have no idea what its name was.

Gwynnbleidd

Aug 13, 2010
I miss games of the turn-based 2D strategy genre like (now I am feeling old) Death or Glory, the REAL X-Com series or Battle Isle. They have all the strategic fun without the stress of reacting extremely fast.
Well, that's why I never was into Starcraft and Warcraft 3 as much as into the other games I mentioned.