Looking for a depressing game.

VideoGameMasochist

Dec 31, 2014
I recently picked up Insurgency, and realized how fun it was for an indie game.

I also realized how realistic and terrible killing people in it makes you feel. Most of the gameplay consists of coldly mowing down enemies, most of which never even see you.

At 300 meters away, you sit in a decrepit bell tower with your Mosin. A small black figure darts out of cover. You look into your scope, take aim with the chevron, take a second to steady it, and click. Your rifle lets out a solid crack and you hear your bolt sliding back and forth. The muzzle flash stops, the barrel smoke dissipates, your hearing slowly returns and, still looking down your sights, you see a spurt of blood fly out of their body as it lifelessly tumbles forward onto its stomach. A person hundreds of miles away shouts at their computer.
You're slowly walking through a hallway as muffled gunfire cracks and hisses outside, none of it fake background noise. You know your squad is out there taking and sending fire, and here you are shuffling through a hallway, alone, towards an objective. As you turn a corner, the marker is only 50 feet away. Suddenly you stop. The tip of a barrel rests near the doorway in front of you. You instinctively drop to the floor as a flash erupts from it. It takes a few panicked seconds to realize its not shooting at you. A bullet flies into the next room and the owner of the barrel scurries past the door for cover. You take out your pistol, move to a crouch and slowly sneak in to the room. Their back is turned to you, they are aiming out the window. A quick glance tells you they are alone. You take a second to line up your sights on his head and click. A loud pop from your M9, and they fall over limp. A person hundreds of miles away looks at their screen confused.

At least for me, these experiences feel disheartening. The graphics are stark and realistic, the sounds and atmosphere not the least bit comical. I get a mix of feelings whenever I get kills like these. I guess I'm a bit of a masochist, but other games just feel so machine-like in comparison. That rush of a satisfying, clean kill coupled with the realistic spectacle of death in war that unfolds in front of you is something that is so out of place in today's games.

So I'm desperately asking you this; are there any other games that do this well? And don't say SPURC OPS DA LINE. That game was so forced and tried so hard to make you "feel bad."

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
This War of Mine is something you need to play... Now. It shows war from the perspectives of citizens trying to survive a siege on their city. You have to make tough, moral choices. The stories you heaR people tell are insane. Like one player thought he was taking out a bandit group and stealing their stolen supplies. Turned out they were people just like him trying to survive an he ended up brutally murdering every single one of them. Realization kicked in and he realized he was the bandit. So yeah, but it.

VideoGameMasochist

Dec 31, 2014
Elfgore said:
This War of Mine is something you need to play... Now. It shows war from the perspectives of citizens trying to survive a siege on their city. You have to make tough, moral choices. The stories you heaR people tell are insane. Like one player thought he was taking out a bandit group and stealing their stolen supplies. Turned out they were people just like him trying to survive an he ended up brutally murdering every single one of them. Realization kicked in and he realized he was the bandit. So yeah, but it.
Once again, another game that takes itself too seriously. The gameplay is also really tedious for me. I want games where the things that make you feel bad aren't set up.

Fallout has a good mix of set up events and unscripted things, like realizing you shot a crazy guy who didn't know what he was doing or killing an innocent merchant caravan because you're desperate for caps.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
If you're looking for more of that visceral 'war is hell' style vibe from a shooter, you're going to love Red Orchestra 2. Quite possibly the only online fps I've ever played that left me feeling like I had shellshock and which remains difficult to play for longer than an hour or two at a time because it's just so terribly intense.

Seriously, it's pretty horrifying to be ducking into a ruined house for cover from an artillery bombardment only to come face to face with an opposing player, shoot them in the neck, then have to spend the next minute listening to them gurgling up blood and clutching their neck before dying as you wait for a pause in the artillery. Sometimes if you shoot them in the gut it can take ages before they die, and you're stuck listening to them crying and screaming...

No, I'm not kidding, really, the game does that:

Add to that more visceral semi-realistic one-hit kill gameplay and a well implemented and suppression cover system plus some pretty bleak levels and music that alternates between patriotic themes and sad orchestral pieces and, um... yeah. Did I mention I can't really play the game for long stretches?

Oh, and when you're under heavy suppression and there are explosions around you, sometimes the guy you're playing as can start freaking out. Y'know, just to make it even better.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, I did have some suggestions, but after reading your OP I don't think any of them are what you're after.

Insurgency is basically the same as any other shooter with a low time-to-kill. So you shouldn't have any trouble finding similar games.

Have you played Day Z? That sounds like what you're describing, so long as you're willing to spend 99% of your time scavenging and hiking and the other 1% in intense high-stakes gunfights.

communist gamer

Jul 9, 2014
VideoGameMasochist said:
Elfgore said:
Once again, another game that takes itself too seriously. The gameplay is also really tedious for me. I want games where the things that make you feel bad aren't set up.

Fallout has a good mix of set up events and unscripted things, like realizing you shot a crazy guy who didn't know what he was doing or killing an innocent merchant caravan because you're desperate for caps.

So you want to have a sad game that is ment to be sad and depresing or a game that makes -you- sad and depressed without the game taking itself very seriously? We can help with the first part but we are not you so we dont know what makes you sad and depresed. Anyways I have no mouth but i must scream might fit the bill for you

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
VideoGameMasochist said:
Elfgore said:

This is where you lose me. I don't get why you would be starving for caps. they where incredibly easy to get in that game.
I guess you can try the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games? Though you might find it forced I geuss.

Apr 25, 2009
I feel like what you're after is potency in action. Not just meaningless mowing down of manikins. You want something more organic and impacting.

Some survival games might be right up your alley. I hear excellent things about 'The Long Dark'. Apparently it's extremely potent and consequential. The smallest thing like your rifle freezing up and misfiring as you go to shoot a deer could cause you to die. Give it a look anyway.

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
Bioshock 2, homeworld, and neverwinter nights one can be sad and they aren't super high fantasy, but you may be counter immersed by their sci-fi if you really like realism.

The voice acting for the soldiers in fear 1 is pretty famous for being striking.

Six months in fallujah was cancelled.

If you are easy to strike tears you could play the older call of duty games and the older medal of honor games, although they are very romanticized.

small

Aug 5, 2014
I tended to find mass effect 3 like that. you get to see shepard slowly coming apart at the seems mentally and seeing npcs actually worried about you really brings it home

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Something rather unorthodox and very much unlike what you are looking for, but still a hell of a depressing game altogether is Nier. The first playthrough is pretty dark but you go through things generally feeling okay but come the second and third playthrough (more story gets revealed with every playthrough, and there's five darker and darker endings) and oh man... just... oh man... Spec Ops is a fun filled carnival ride of happiness and butterflies compared to Nier.

Just thinking about that second playthrough saddens me slightly.

EDIT: There's also State of Decay, Breakthrough especially. Every member of your group has his\her own quirks and can grow into useful characters you can use, so its pretty darn sad having one of your group get infected and then having to take that person somewhere to be put down (or left to turn if you can't stomach it). Super intense zombie survival game overall.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silent Hill 2 is the most depressing game I've ever played. It begins with the story. Everything else feels like a reflection on the story.

I was just thinking and Demon's Souls is a pretty depressing game, right? Every time I find one of those "I want to go home" messages players leave they feel very close at heart. Especially at the Tower of Latria and the Valley of Defilement. And everytime you encounter these fuckers:

VideoGameMasochist

Dec 31, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silent Hill 2 is the most depressing game I've ever played. It begins with the story. Everything else feels like a reflection on the story.

I was just thinking and Demon's Souls is a pretty depressing game, right? Every time I find one of those "I want to go home" messages players leave they feel very close at heart. Especially at the Tower of Latria and the Valley of Defilement. And everytime you encounter these fuckers:

I'm gonna have to check this game out. Should I play SH1 first?

VideoGameMasochist

Dec 31, 2014
The Madman said:
Add to that more visceral semi-realistic one-hit kill gameplay and a well implemented and suppression cover system plus some pretty bleak levels and music that alternates between patriotic themes and sad orchestral pieces and, um... yeah. Did I mention I can't really play the game for long stretches?

Oh, and when you're under heavy suppression and there are explosions around you, sometimes the guy you're playing as can start freaking out. Y'know, just to make it even better.

This is just what I'm looking for! I've heard about Rising Storm whenever Red Orchestra gets brought upand it looked similar. Are they alike in this way?