Looking for a depressing game.

VideoGameMasochist

Dec 31, 2014
Zhukov said:
Well, I did have some suggestions, but after reading your OP I don't think any of them are what you're after.

Insurgency is basically the same as any other shooter with a low time-to-kill. So you shouldn't have any trouble finding similar games.

Have you played Day Z? That sounds like what you're describing, so long as you're willing to spend 99% of your time scavenging and hiking and the other 1% in intense high-stakes gunfights.
When I say forced or set up I don't mean any scripted sequence at all can't be depressing for me.

With Spec Ops there is no way to avoid the "dreaded" white phosphorous scene. I saw it coming from a mile away and it had no impact on me.
This War of Mine would be good if not for the incredibly repetitive gameplay and the fact that everything in the game that makes you feel even remotely sad was preordained.

Games that actually stuck with me this way would be...
Call of Duty 1's Russian missions.
Though scripted, it was incredibly immersive and terrifying and bleak at the time.
I got anxious after playing Rust just because of the constant stress that you might be followed and shot. Gun fights weren't fun in that game, they were terrifying and high stakes due to Rust's loot system.

Those two are the ones that stand out for me the most. It isn't just the low hits-to-kill, its a combination of factors in the games.
Insurgency started this search for me because it wasn't even trying to be impactful. It was just a semi-realistic shooter.

I hope this gives you a better idea of what games I'm after.

BTW, PC only please. :p

SeanSeanston

Dec 22, 2010
Baffle said:
Lost Patrol is the most depressing game ever made. 'Blom slips a grenade into your backpack and you are killed'. For fuck sake Blom, I was trying to get us home! I'd like to see you do better! It was on the Amiga though.
Never played it back in the day but I have played it on WinUAE a little. Seems like one of those games that would be hard to get into now. The kind of thing you need the patience and boredom of a kid in the early 1990s to actually bother putting up with, as far as some of the more tedious or seemingly random elements are concerned. Definitely an interesting kind of game though that makes you think about the good and bad parts of its design...

Mostly I just love the atmospheric music though :D

Just seems to capture that "barely surviving while painfully trudging through Vietnamese jungle" feel so well. Great for setting the mood while you work through something...

VideoGameMasochist

Dec 31, 2014
SeanSeanston said:
Baffle said:
Lost Patrol is the most depressing game ever made. 'Blom slips a grenade into your backpack and you are killed'. For fuck sake Blom, I was trying to get us home! I'd like to see you do better! It was on the Amiga though.
Never played it back in the day but I have played it on WinUAE a little. Seems like one of those games that would be hard to get into now. The kind of thing you need the patience and boredom of a kid in the early 1990s to actually bother putting up with, as far as some of the more tedious or seemingly random elements are concerned. Definitely an interesting kind of game though that makes you think about the good and bad parts of its design...

Mostly I just love the atmospheric music though :D

Just seems to capture that "barely surviving while painfully trudging through Vietnamese jungle" feel so well. Great for setting the mood while you work through something...
I just don't have the patience for old games anymore :p

Tried getting back into a few but couldn't. If only I had made this post in 92!

SeanSeanston

Dec 22, 2010
VideoGameMasochist said:
I just don't have the patience for old games anymore :p

Tried getting back into a few but couldn't. If only I had made this post in 92!
I think it's interesting when you look back though, at games from around 20-25 years ago;

There are some games that seemed good at the time, and probably genuinely were, but nowadays do things that are just inexcusable (Populous would be an example for me, it's too slow and tedious) so they feel like little more than historical footnotes with little actual gaming value.

Others were good, and still are, but show their age in various ways. They definitely hold up, but often have bizarre design choices for the interface or show their age in various ways. They're still good, you can forgive them... but they significantly suffer in playability and you still have to wonder why they were made like they were and why anyone thought some things were a good idea. I'd put Dune II in that category. I still can't understand how dragging a box to select multiple units wasn't an obvious thing to put in, or how there could be some kind of technical reason preventing it. Still a good game, but severely harmed by things like that.

A 3rd category then are the few that simply don't seem to have aged at all. They were great then, and they're still great. The controls make sense, the graphics still hold up as a coherent and enjoyable style, and you could more or less believe that someone might have made it very recently because nothing screams out that they were following an antiquated arcade model or hadn't figured out obvious gameplay staples yet. IMHO, Cannon Fodder sticks out to me as one of those games. Just a stone cold classic, no control problems, nothing that screams out needing to be fixed, just as playable now as it ever was and with one of the most effective overall aesthetics that actually has a lot of satirical depth that was probably ahead of its time. In that regard it's almost like the kind of game a lot of indie games wish they were, if they weren't up their own arses.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Deadlight.

This game is so bad, pretentious, frustrating and mediocre, you'll get depressed after realising you paid actual money for such a POS.

But seriously though, if you liked the hardcore-ness of Insurgency, Red Orchestra 2 might be up your alley, a WWII multiplayer FPS where a single bullet can kill you. You're not this super badass super soldier killing nazis left and right, you're just a regular guy who happens to be a soldier, trying to survive and fulfill your orders, even the axis side is very humanizing. Brutal and hardcore are the first words that comes to mind to describe this game in general.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Probably not what you're looking for but Wolfenstein: The New Order made me feel feels.

Also let me stab space nazis in the face on the moon. Best of both worlds really.

moggett88

May 2, 2013
I saw a lets play of a game called Cart Life that looked like the kind of thing you're looking for. Fairly low-res, but the feels are there.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons isn't what I'd call straight-up depressing, however it has a very sombre tone that doesn't feel overbearing (at least not to me). It mixes this with a quite whimsical aesthetic, a combination I find very inspiring myself. It actually reminds me a lot of Scandinavian folk music which is appropriate seeing as the game is influenced by Scandinavian folklore. It even reminded me of a few black metal bands' music, but that's a bit of an obscure comparison.

The Walking Dead games are very depressing, much more so than the TV series in my opinion. There's an overwhelming sense of impending doom. It might come off as contrived to some but I thought it nailed the bleak atmosphere without being too melodramatic.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
Interestingly enough, Insurgency gives me pretty much the exact opposite emotional response. The intensity of the fighting gets me somehow hyped up, for lack of a better term, and killing an enemy player without them ever seeing me is very satisfying. Although it can sometimes be infuriating when the tables are turned, I get a big adrenaline rush playing that game, to the point where, I will admit, I once yelled "Got you, ************!" at my screen after killing an entrenched enemy.

If you like those kind of intense shooters though, I'll second some earlier posts and say Red Orchestra 2. Now that is one hell of an intense shooter, and it does give me the kind of emotional response you were talking about, so I'm sure you'll get something out of it. Absolutely brutal shooter.

You also may want to try DayZ, although it's more scary than depressing. Gunfights in that game, especially protracted fights, are probably the most intense, immersive, visceral, and terrifying ones I've ever played in a game just because of the high stakes. Of course, that comes at the cost of running around for like 5 hours versus a 10 minute tops firefight (although I did have a 45+ minute sniper battle once), which a lot of people understandably don't like.

Marsell

Nov 20, 2008
cat simulator
im not kidding, look it up
EDIT: scratch that, its called "a purr tale"

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
VideoGameMasochist said:
This is just what I'm looking for! I've heard about Rising Storm whenever Red Orchestra gets brought upand it looked similar. Are they alike in this way?
Rising Storm is a standalone expansion for Red Orchestra 2 but set in the Pacific theater during WW2 as opposed to the Eastern Front which is where the base game is set. So American's fighting the Japanese often in tropical environments.

It's good, as is the core game. Plenty of players around for both.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
Nods Respectfully Towards You said:
small said:
I tended to find mass effect 3 like that. you get to see shepard slowly coming apart at the seems mentally and seeing npcs actually worried about you really brings it home
Mass Effect 3 is actually a pretty depressing game for me, though not for the reason you think. I can't play the game without being reminded just how disappointed I was with the final product. Also, not sure how they showed "Shepard slowly coming apart" outside of that heavy handed random child symbolism bullcrap and the repetitive dream sequences.
Outside of the heavy handed Star Child bullshit, there are subtle moments that are rather depressing or striking.
For example, on the final Tuchunka level if you choose not to cure the Genophage by shooting Mordin before he can do anything, you shoot him with a Carnifex pistol, the same kind he gives you in his recruitment mission in ME2. You kill a friend with the gun he gave you. Even Shepard is disgusted at what he does in that scene.

OT. Red Orchestra 2 all the way, I've barely played it but in my limited playtime with the game it I can say it is one of the best "War is Hell" games out there.

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
DizzyChuggernaut said:
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons isn't what I'd call straight-up depressing, however it has a very sombre tone that doesn't feel overbearing (at least not to me).
Really? That game's ending drove me to tears. Unless there's good and bad endings, or I'm just touchy about that stuff.

Also, I'm seconding Nier. There's a lot of humorous dialogue, but things really go to shit at the end.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I have to recommend the The Cat Lady. It can get pretty depressing at times. It is one of my favorites.

shteev

Oct 22, 2007
I 'enjoyed' Actual Sunlight, if that's the right word.

I was also very taken with the short flash game 'Every Day The Same Dream', although not a lot of the people I've recommended it to seem to agree with me.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I'm sorry, when I saw the title of this thread, a certain game by a certain controversial individual sprung to mind. But it's a bad game from what I hear.

Okay, I'll say it, Depression Quest. What's the point of this post if I don't give a name?

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Like Zhukov, I had a few suggestions. They're not what you're after. That's not depressing. Moving on.

If you want bleak unforgiving FPS, Red Orchestra does that well. Added bonus that mortal wounds often result in a helpless bleedout wherein all you're left able to do if fire your weapon. Doesn't give you all the freedom and customisation of Insurgency, you're stuck with weapons based on class, and the focus on simulation means that they're not balanced. Bolt action rifles is 1 hit kill, but an automatic weapons trash them easily.

On Singleplayer, there's the Metro games, but for the best of that lot, go back to STALKER: Call of Pripyat. Same vein of unforgiving shooter mechanics, in the shadow of the abandoned Chernobyl reactor. Holds up fairly well too.

For actual depressing games, Dark Souls is a pretty good pick. It's just dreary, and dull, and the environments and characters show that the world just couldn't give a fuck if you were there or not. Despite this, there's some beauty and novelty to the setting if you care to look. When you're progressing, things are awesome, you're beating epic challenges through skill or forethought. When you come to a dead end, or a skill block, which is often, because the game is bullshit about navigation, and double bullshit about giving you any clue how to do things, it's just crushing. The first time I played it, did well for a while before getting stuck in the wrong place, set off a depressive episode. Funtimes. It's not necessarily fun when it's depressing, but it does do a very good job of capturing the experience of depression.

SupahGamuh said:
Deadlight.

This game is so bad, pretentious, frustrating and mediocre, you'll get depressed after realising you paid actual money for such a POS.
So much this. I thought from the art it would be nice, and the movement felt kind of cool. Then the game proceeds to be stupid with limited ammo, boring, slow puzzles, cheap bullshit, a story that you'll work out less than half-way through, and it ends before you'd think with no real resolution. Fuck this game.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was pretty depressing.

Zelda: Majoras Mask might not seem depressing on the surface but delve deeper into the characters and you'll find out how depressing it really is.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a very sad tale.

Dear Esther is also depressing as you are alone on an island (although you only walk in the game).