Looking for Gamecube games

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
T0ad 0f Truth said:
wintercoat said:
Susan Arendt said:
Also...well, my choice for GameCube game should be pretty obvious. It's right over there to the left. :)
*Looks to the left* There's a game about a corgi riding a cantaloupe? o_O
I was afraid to quote her and ask XD

What are we missing?
Just me being a complete moron, that's all. It's really quite hysterical. :D

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
wintercoat said:
So I've been thinking of getting some Gamecube games, get some extra work out of my Wii.

The obvious choices are on my list: Zelda, Mario(Super, Paper and Kart varieties), Luigi's Mansion, Metroid(probably gonna look for the Wii bundle pack and get all three), Smash Bros. Also getting some of the not-so-obvious: Killer 7, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, the Baten Kaitos games. Also, I already have RE4, FF: Christal Chronicles, and, somewhere, probably in a closet, Lego Star Wars 2. Now I'm looking for a bit more flavor to round things out. So, did I leave out an obvious choice(probably)? Got any games to recommend?

Also, since SSBM gets a bit repetitive playing by myself(noone will play with me :/), what's a good fighting game on the system? Was thinking Soul Caliber 2. Any other good ones?

Skies of arcadia legends. Really great turn based rpg with shipto ship and standard combat. The story is very endearing and the combat is pretty fun. Check out some stuff at the skies of arcadia world website to see if you like it.

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
I have to recommend F-Zero GX. I hate racing games, but for some reason I love this one. Maybe not my favorite Gamecube game, but it's the only one I still revisit often. It's incredibly hard though, I still haven't beaten the last story mission.

EDIT: I'd also recommend Metal Arms: Glitch in the System.

Raine_sage

Sep 13, 2011
wintercoat said:
So I've been thinking of getting some Gamecube games, get some extra work out of my Wii.

The obvious choices are on my list: Zelda, Mario(Super, Paper and Kart varieties), Luigi's Mansion, Metroid(probably gonna look for the Wii bundle pack and get all three), Smash Bros. Also getting some of the not-so-obvious: Killer 7, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, the Baten Kaitos games. Also, I already have RE4, FF: Christal Chronicles, and, somewhere, probably in a closet, Lego Star Wars 2. Now I'm looking for a bit more flavor to round things out. So, did I leave out an obvious choice(probably)? Got any games to recommend?

Also, since SSBM gets a bit repetitive playing by myself(noone will play with me :/), what's a good fighting game on the system? Was thinking Soul Caliber 2. Any other good ones?
SC2 was indeed a good fighting game. Ah memories. I'd also highly recommend Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door

One game I recommend, though I have /no/ idea if you're going to be able to find a copy of this because it was obscure even back when it was released, is Custom Robo. It's not the best game, it's nothing ground breaking or even especially pretty to look at. The graphics are simple, vaguely repetitive, and the core gameplay is about fighting miniature robots in holographic fields. But damned if something about it doesn't hit that sweet spot for me.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
I remember the resident evil remake to be good. I'd also make a recomendation of Pikmin 2, it has a fun little RTS style vs mode that's quick and easy to play. Bloody Roar and Soul Calibur 2 are both excelent fighting games I have fond memories of. While I've never played it, I've always considered picking up Rogue Squadron. The first Metroid Prime is the better of the two if you haven't played them before.

Oh yeah, and Timesplitters: Future Perfect is a lot of fun, but quite pricy.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Bloody Roar (I forget the exact version but it's one of the better ones)

Eternal Darkness

Metroid Prime

Baiten Kaitos <- Seriously good although has some weird and interesting mechanics.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
Someone already mentioned it, but I think it bears mentioning again. See if you can track down a copy of Chibi-Robo. It is a charming little game that really deserved better than it got here in the US.

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, Prince of Persia: Two Thrones. I can't believe no one suggested those yet. Another great game if you like LotR and JRPGs is LotR: The Third Age. It's a nice balance of JRPG mechanics with western style animation which foregoes the acrobatic cinematic feel for animations that really feel like they have weight behind the strikes. Keeping with LotR are both movie games The Two Towers and Return of the King. I recommend the latter more than the former but both are excellent little action games. Another good game is Def Jam: Fight for New York. This game proved a fighting game can have a gripping story. You invest a lot with choices and the drama is just great. And you get to beat the shit out of Sean Paul - I really don't know how I can sell that any better. Staying with New York are both True Crimes games. GTA in reverse could not be more compelling. LA is definitely thee better of the two. If you're looking for another fighting game apart from SCII, Naruto: Clash of Ninja 2 was a solid game with a good roster of characters. And finally, if you're into sports games, NHL Hitz 2002 or 2003 were both fun little gems. 3 on 3 hockey where there are no rules. All my friends who weren't into sports games got absolutely addicted to Hitz 2003 because of its blazay regard to things like "rules".

Suggestions that have been made that I also support:

Gladius- Must have. Awesome strategy game.

I-Ninja- Hard as balls but really cute and funny. Just remember: a stitch in time is worth two in the bush!

Cubivore- If you aren't afraid to shell out the cash, this game is a must have. I bought mine new but it cost me an arm and a leg so watch out.

Animal Crossing- So many hours wasted. Why won't they love me!?

Lost Kingdoms- I still need to pick these games up. They're really neat and if you like Baiten Katos you'll probably get into LK.

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy - I feel stupid for forgetting this one. The last great Gauntlet game, IMO. Get it!

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
i recommend Fire Emblem Path Of Radiance and Phantasy Star Episodes 1&2 Online.

LoTR The Third Age was good as well, and my friend highly recommended i get Geist. but the first 2 i listed were the ENTIRE reason i have a GameCube.

also you can't go wrong with the Pokemon games on GC either. but they're better if you have Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald to port in the mons you actually LIKE that arn't in the game

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
I recommend Eternal Darkness as it's my favorite Gamecube title. I'm actually going to be replaying it soon.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
KiloFox said:

LoTR The Third Age was good as well, and my friend highly recommended i get Geist. but the first 2 i listed were the ENTIRE reason i have a GameCube.

also you can't go wrong with the Pokemon games on GC either. but they're better if you have Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald to port in the mons you actually LIKE that arn't in the game
Isn't Phantasy Star a multiplayer oriented game?

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. If you are into TBS games this is a good one.

Something stupid but fun.
Simpsons Hit and Run. One of those lower budget games, but so fun "Like a candy wrapper soaring in an updraft" as Homer says in it.

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
wintercoat said:
KiloFox said:

Isn't Phantasy Star a multiplayer oriented game?
mainly yes. but you can solo it. i have solo'd most of the game myself. but it's a LOT more fun with friends

The

Jan 24, 2012
Viewtiful Joe is a cool sidescrolling fighter. And TImesplitters, don't forget Timesplitters.

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
Wario World is pretty short but very creative. Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg was made by Sonic team and has interesting platforming along with strangely addictive multiplayer. Kirby Air Ride, while somewhat slim in content, has City Mode, where Kirbys fly around a city doing Kirby stuff. I have probably spent over 15 hours playing that mode alone. Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2, and CARD Revolution are pretty interesting, but online is obviously a no go. Lastly, Bond From Russia with Love, Battalion Wars for guns, and Zelda 4 Swords Adventures are slightly less known but great nonetheless.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Smash Brothers Melee
Mario Party 7, a game so good I had to get another copy because my sister and I wore out our first one.
Mario Kart Double Dash
Pikmin 1 and 2. It's up to you weather or not you want the GameCube original or the New Play Control release, but the latter is far more common and it'll be much cheaper. Seriously, a used game store near me has a copy of the GameCube version going for $90.
Legend of Zelda Windwaker is another good one.
Paper Mario: The thousand year door is arguably the best in the series, definitely a must-find.
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was the last sonic game I played that was actually good.
Kirby Air Ride is another good one.
Pokemon XD - if you're into pokemon, this game is probably the easiest way to get Espeons and Umbreons. It's also a really, really good game.

Also, stay away from Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly. Yes, it's the closest Spyro's ever been to his roots since Insomniac lost the IP after the PS1 trillogy, but it's buggy as hell, and it can't be completed.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Palademon said:
Do...do I get to be the one to say Gotcha Force?

YAY

This, defernitely this (glad that I'm not the only one who remember that game so fondly)!!!

Ok excluding Time Splitter 2/3 and Viewtiful Joe (already mention) I suggest Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 and 2. I loved that game despite I never once played it Online.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
There are some good Sonic games on there. A lot, actually.

Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Sonic Heroes
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Riders
Sonic Mega Collection (Plus)
Sonic Gems Collection

You can look for any Rayman titles. I saw Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc lying around a few days ago. There's also Pikmin, Pikmin 2, Kirby Airide, Animal Crossing, Cubivore, Viewtiful Joe, Viewtiful Joe 2, Crash Tag Team Racing, and StarFox Assault.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
wintercoat said:
Tanis said:
Cubivores.

It's one of those 'weird but strangely fun' games.
Oh. My. God. Just looked that up, and that is...it's just...beautiful... This just made my list. I need to play this! It looks so awesomely weird and fucked up!
It's a solid 'C', maybe a 'B-' of a game.

I'd love to see a sequel to the game released on PSN/XBL/PC.

ShadowDude112

Mar 9, 2009
Okay, if you want to listen to the people saying Sonic Adventure 2, I advise you watch this video.

I used to think SA2 was one of the best Sonic games ever and then I replayed it and I hated it. Everything this guys says in his video I agree with. SA2 is not that good. Don't waste the money.

OT: Ultimate Spider-Man is great. It was released on the Gamecube. Billy Hatcher is also a good one for Gamecube. Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 are also awesome. Check those out.