Looking For Good RPGs

Ze_Sapper

Apr 12, 2010
Hey guys I am sitting here bored out of my mind and I have an itching to play a good RPG. I've already played: ME 1&2, DAO, Oblivion, Bioshock, KOTOR 1&2, Two Worlds, Fallout 3, and others I can't think of right now. So any suggestions for RPGs on the 360? Oh almost forgot, I'm not a fan of JRPGs.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Is Jade Empire backwards compatible?
Can Onyx confirm this for me?
Google says yes.

So, that. JE is phenomenal, and holds up really well.

Ze_Sapper

Apr 12, 2010
Hazy said:
Google says yes.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I've played that masterpiece =)

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Ze_Sapper said:
Hazy said:
Google says yes.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I've played that masterpiece =)
-.-
Curse your good taste, kind sir. :)

Fable II, then? I didn't like it, but you just might.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
It sounds as though you've played pretty much every western RPG the 360 has to offer. I was going to suggest Lost Odyssey, but if you hate JRPGs all that much, maybe it's not a good idea. It doesn't have any whiny teenager protagonists or any other annoyances typical of the genre, but the fighting IS turn-based - I dunno what exactly ticks you off about JRPGs, but it's pretty enoyable, IMO.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Ze_Sapper said:
Hey guys I am sitting here bored out of my mind and I have an itching to play a good RPG. I've already played: ME 1&2, DAO, Oblivion, Bioshock, KOTOR 1&2, Two Worlds, Fallout 3, and others I can't think of right now. So any suggestions for RPGs on the 360? Oh almost forgot, I'm not a fan of JRPGs.
I hate to say it, but you've pretty much exhausted every worthwhile WRPG on the 360 that I can think of. If you do find yourself wanting some JRPGs, though, Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia are both fantastic.

In particular, Tales of Vesperia is a very non-traditional JRPG; the battle system is more like a cross between an action-RPG and a fighting game than a traditional JRPG one.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
Ze_Sapper said:
for the 360?

i dunno...

also, CRACKED! your avvie is from CRACKED!!!

Ze_Sapper

Apr 12, 2010
Timbydude said:
In particular, Tales of Vesperia is a very non-traditional JRPG; the battle system is more like a cross between an action-RPG and a fighting game than a traditional JRPG one.
Hmm... I might try it, thanks!

z(ombie)fan said:
also, CRACKED! your avvie is from CRACKED!!!
I'm glad you noticed =)

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
I don't know if the darkness counts...but it's an FPS that centers around a surprisingly good story. there's some minor leveling up elements and the game is good length...give it a try if your hard up for somthing better.

Browbeat

Jul 21, 2009
Risen is a fairly ugly game in terms of animation and lack of polish, but it has some surprisingly good dialogue and the sense that your role on the game island has both merit and direction. Didn't get to finish it (rental), but was pleased with what I saw... but you have to account for the fact that this game (like the Gothic series) is not about looks, but rather substance.

Also, Divinity: Ego Dragonis is a re-adaptation of a Diablo-like series on the PC, but instead of solely hack-n-slash dungeon mongering, it likes to throw in some pleasant design elements to make you feel more powerful (in terms of style, mostly. Less so if you've been modding your way through Oblivion.... Or Morrowind... God, the broken stuff in that game...)

If you're willing to take a chance on a 'JRPG,' consider trying Nier. This game was mis-marketed as a hack-n-slasher, as it is more of an adventure game more than anything. Sure, there's lots of footwork for fetch quests, but the characters and bossfights are fantastic standouts amid a sea of generic dross... On a much more obscure, nerdier note, the studio that developed the game, Cavia, is responsible for the Drakengard games on the PS2, and while Nier feels much more smooth and modern than those, there are enough hints and fan-pleasing moments in the game to make one recall the other games...

Sorry, I'm obtuse like that.

Anyway, the 360 doesn't have too much in terms of 'traditional' RPG play that isn't either dipped into lead paint by its hair or is so broken mechanically that the game doesn't satisfy to its full potential.

Ze_Sapper

Apr 12, 2010
Browbeat said:
Risen is a fairly ugly game in terms of animation and lack of polish, but it has some surprisingly good dialogue and the sense that your role on the game island has both merit and direction. Didn't get to finish it (rental), but was pleased with what I saw... but you have to account for the fact that this game (like the Gothic series) is not about looks, but rather substance.

Also, Divinity: Ego Dragonis is a re-adaptation of a Diablo-like series on the PC, but instead of solely hack-n-slash dungeon mongering, it likes to throw in some pleasant design elements to make you feel more powerful (in terms of style, mostly. Less so if you've been modding your way through Oblivion.... Or Morrowind... God, the broken stuff in that game...)

If you're willing to take a chance on a 'JRPG,' consider trying Nier. This game was mis-marketed as a hack-n-slasher, as it is more of an adventure game more than anything. Sure, there's lots of footwork for fetch quests, but the characters and bossfights are fantastic standouts amid a sea of generic dross... On a much more obscure, nerdier note, the studio that developed the game, Cavia, is responsible for the Drakengard games on the PS2, and while Nier feels much more smooth and modern than those, there are enough hints and fan-pleasing moments in the game to make one recall the other games...

Sorry, I'm obtuse like that.

Anyway, the 360 doesn't have too much in terms of 'traditional' RPG play that isn't either dipped into lead paint by its hair or is so broken mechanically that the game doesn't satisfy to its full potential.
I was looking at Risen but I can't find it in any rental stores around and I'm hesitant to buy it. I've played Divinity and I didn't mind it but it didn't really wow me. I've also tried Nier but just didn't like it.

Thanks though!

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
I'd recommend Sacred 2, it's like Diablo, but I find it fun. Even has online multiplayer. It also features music by, and an appearance by heavy metal band Blind Guardian. You can even view an in-game-world concert by them. I DARE You to say that there's something better than a bunch of people and monsters both headbanging to a man in robes singing into his staff!

If you get it, send me a PM and we can play online together!

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Demon's Souls is an excellent RPG. I suggest you try it out if you have a PS3.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Sacred 2, its story isnt very good (I competely ignore it), but its world is huge! and is very like Ultima/diablo. over 600 quests!

Demon's Souls if you have a ps3, really hard, but great.

Browbeat

Jul 21, 2009
True, Sacred 2 DOES have the power of righteous Blind Guardian rocking going for it... However, games of this type do better as click-fests than A-button mashers, I find.

On that note, you COULD shoehorn Borderlands into an RPG... Or an RPFPS. I get the feeling you've already tried it, though.

There aren't really any other stand-out titles that don't venture into JRPG land, unless you consider titles like Darksiders more Role-playing than adventure...

dbmountain

Feb 24, 2010
beautiful avatar, i wish i thought of that! Cracked and the Escapist are right beside each other in my bookmarks list

honestly, it looks like you've exhausted the list of good WRPGs on the 360