Looking for sort of a "normal-paced Devil May Cry" game for PC

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Before I begin, I'd like to apologize for making another game request thread so close apart from the previous one. It's just that I can't find this type of game by myself and people on other sites don't seem to understand what I want. So I thought that since you're the most intelligent community I've ever stumbled across, I might have a bigger chance of finding something here. I hope you'll still take me seriously and help me out on this one.

---------------------------------------------------------

As cryptic and weird as the title may sound, the request is actually pretty simple (or at least I think it is) despite being a tad bit unusual. I want a PC action game with dark atmosphere and level design similar to ones present in Devil May Cry series (especially the first two games) - complex, gothic-stylized castles, cathedrals, and streets of monumental cities like Fortuna from DMC 4 [http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071024001613/devilmaycry/images/0/06/Fortuna_04.jpg] for levels, twisted, demonic creatures and even more twisted and demonic bosses for enemies, and a sword (or any other melee weapon, as long as you can effectively kill your enemies with it) for your weapon. What I don't want, though is over-the-top stuff like this

or this

Basically, the slower, "heavier", and unexaggerated the combat is, the better. A great example of what I mean by that is Berserk on the PS2 (gameplay [https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AZO89Zo0DW4#t=62]) - it's slow , but the fights still manage to be pretty intense.

Any idea if a game like this exists at all? I'd be happy if it does.

Oh, and please don't say Dark Souls or Legacy of Kain - I probably know these games by heart by now, and would like to try something other than that.

Mr Jack

Sep 10, 2008
My first thought is Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. It seems to tick all your boxes.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Good call on Berserk! Good manga, decent game.

As to what you are looking for, a few recommendations:

- Dark Souls/Dark Souls 2. They are hard and confusing at times (the second one felt especially obtuse to me) but in terms of slow, deliberate, amazingly real feeling and hard as balls combat they are amazing.

- Darksiders 2. Takes a bit of time to get moving but well worth it once you get there. Buckets of style and some really good graphics for the time help.

- Resident Evil 4. Focussed on gunplay more than flashy combat but in terms of slow, deliberate pacing and beautiful design this is one of the best.

- There are a few others but quite a bit older. How far do you want to go back?

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Mr Jack said:
My first thought is Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. It seems to tick all your boxes.
Hmm. Not a bad game but it's first person and absolutely has not aged well at all.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Mr Jack said:
Didn't expect it here, to be honest. I've already beaten it, but nonetheless it's a decent pick when it comes to combat - it's brilliant.

Starbird said:
Dark Souls/Dark Souls 2. They are hard and confusing at times (the second one felt especially obtuse to me) but in terms of slow, deliberate, amazingly real feeling and hard as balls combat they are amazing.
I can't disagree on this one, but I mentioned not to recommend this serie, as I've had enough of it for one lifetime.

Starbird said:
Darksiders 2.
Darksiders is still too exagerrated for my taste. It'd be good if not for the superfast combo attacks with oversized light beams the character does.

Starbird said:
Resident Evil 4. Focussed on gunplay more than flashy combat but in terms of slow, deliberate pacing and beautiful design this is one of the best.
Not a bad idea. Did they fix the mouse support (or should I say "did they add the mouse support") in this game? It's terrible on a gamepad or keyboard alone - Leon moves like a freakin' tank!

Starbird said:
There are a few others but quite a bit older. How far do you want to go back?
1996-1997 even, if the game's worth it and can be launched on modern PCs without any hassle.

Dreiko said:
Uhh, try Dragon's Dogma.
The "PC" in the title is there for a reason, you know?

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
ninja666 said:
Basically, the slower, "heavier", and unexaggerated the combat is, the better.
Mount & Blade?

It's a top-down RPG some of the time, a third-person action game the rest. If you want slow, heavy combat then it is the game for you. A lot of fighting is about timing your blocks and attacks, knowing when to order a charge and when to pull back, and most importantly not charging off like a hero. Getting yourself caught, alone, amongst enemy forces is either a death sentence or a slow-yet-frantic crawl back to your own lines desperately hoping your shield doesn't break before you reach safety.

It's a little buggy and sparse, but mods help with that, and the combat is intensely satisfying.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Not a bad idea. Did they fix the mouse support (or should I say "did they add the mouse support") in this game? It's terrible on a gamepad or keyboard alone - Leon moves like a freakin' tank!
The HD re-re-rerelease on PC is absolutely brilliant (it even feels like some stuff was changed up regarding boss ai/mechanics but don't quote me on this). Mouse works fine. Movement is still somewhat 'tanky' but that's the game and it's all balanced with it in mind.

Hmm, going back a bit further, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines and Redemption. Both have their flaws, but I enjoyed both immensely.

The Witcher 1 and 2. A bit RPGish for you maybe, but the combat is fluid and solid.

Heavy Metal FAKK2. A criminally underrated game from the Quake 3 engine era. Imaginative and mechanically very clever, and some cool weapons to use.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Warrior Within was also decent but combat may be a bit fast.

Mr Jack

Sep 10, 2008
Starbird said:
Mr Jack said:
Hmm. Not a bad game but it's first person and absolutely has not aged well at all.
I'm not sure aging badly is the games problem. I would say that the things that were good about it are still very good, and the things that were bad were always bad.

First person does not bother me, the game has great combat, with a real sense of momentum and timing. The story is schlock, and the voice acting risible, but I don't really mind.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
ninja666 said:
SonicWaffle said:
Mount & Blade?
Well, it's a good recommendation as far as the combat goes, but what about the rest? You know, the atmosphere part?
Most of your fights take place in open spaces. Sometimes you'll seige a castle or town and have running battles through the streets and castles, but more often on mountains or in forests.

That said, while the atmosphere is hardly gothic it does do a good job of making you forget where you are; battles are so consuming you won't spend a lot of time looking at the scenery except to find high ground to hold or charge your cavalry from.

Atmosphere-wise LoTR: War in the North may be more your thing, though the combat isn't amazing and can be repetitive.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Starbird said:
The HD re-re-rerelease on PC is absolutely brilliant (it even feels like some stuff was changed up regarding boss ai/mechanics but don't quote me on this). Mouse works fine. Movement is still somewhat 'tanky' but that's the game and it's all balanced with it in mind.
HD re-re-release? They seriously released the same game 3 times over the years? All right, I'm gonna see if it's changed that much. My local supermarket has this game for dirt cheap in the bargain bin at the moment, so it's a lucky coincidence.

Starbird said:
The Witcher 1 and 2. A bit RPGish for you maybe, but the combat is fluid and solid.
While both are great RPGs, the combat in the first one is horrible, and I don't really feel like replaying for the story itself right now, and I'd have to, since Witcher 2 is a direct sequel and needs a savefile for smooth transition of events between the two.

Starbird said:
Heavy Metal FAKK2. A criminally underrated game from the Quake 3 engine era. Imaginative and mechanically very clever, and some cool weapons to use.
Looks really cool both design and combat-wise. I also happen to have the original CD, as my brother left a lot of his old games when he went to college. I'm gonna play it for sure.

I'm still gonna wait for some other ideas, though. Maybe something even better will come up?

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
Any Elder Scrolls game, with Melee. Oblivion is chock full of gothic ruins and big castles and big ruined gothic castles in hell. Combat is a bit more fun in Skyrim, but it won't meet your oddly specific architectural requirements XD.

Painkiller, if you don't mind guns instead of swords.

Arkham Asylum is SUPER gothic and has lots of hand-to-hand, although mostly unarmed. If you like it the sequels are equally fun, although far less surreal and indoor-centric.

Nothing is more gothic than Quake 1. NOTHING!

Metal Gear Rising is in no way gothic but it is a lovely swordfighting game where the fights are exciting and the moves superhuman, but not so cartoonish.

Possibly the Witcher games if you don't mind a whole RPG to go with your face-stabbing.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
HD re-re-release? They seriously released the same game 3 times over the years? All right, I'm gonna see if it's changed that much. My local supermarket has this game for dirt cheap in the bargain bin at the moment, so it's a lucky coincidence.
Cool! Just make sure it's the proper recent HD version. The original PC release was abysmal.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Rayce Archer said:
Any Elder Scrolls game, with Melee. Oblivion is chock full of gothic ruins and big castles and big ruined gothic castles in hell. Combat is a bit more fun in Skyrim, but it won't meet your oddly specific architectural requirements XD.
Elder Scrolls series happen to have the clunkiest melee combat of all the action RPGs I've played. It's not fun, it's tedious, floaty, and unresponsive.

Rayce Archer said:
Painkiller, if you don't mind guns instead of swords.
Swords accompanied by guns? It's fine by me. Guns instead of swords? That kinda defeats the idea of the game I'm looking for.

Rayce Archer said:
Arkham Asylum is SUPER gothic and has lots of hand-to-hand, although mostly unarmed. If you like it the sequels are equally fun, although far less surreal and indoor-centric.
I didn't really like the Arkham series for its aesthetics. It's like they couldn't decide if they wanted a comic book-based game or a gritty, "realistic" one.

Rayce Archer said:
Metal Gear Rising is in no way gothic but it is a lovely swordfighting game where the fights are exciting and the moves superhuman, but not so cartoonish.
Actually, the combat in this game is equally ridiculous and cartoonish as in Devil May Cry.

Starbird said:
Cool! Just make sure it's the proper recent HD version. The original PC release was abysmal.
They have the "Ultimate HD Edition". It's this one, right?

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Gundam GP01 said:
ninja666 said:
So you want a game that's like Devil May Cry, except without the things that literally define it as Devil May Cry.

Yeah, good luck with that...
Thank you for your time. Your opinion and insights are very valuable to us and will surely change the world for the better.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Depending on which weapon you decide to specialize in, it can be a fast paced or a slow paced game. It's definitely slower than DMC even with the fastest weapons. It's also a free roaming game and it's absolutely enormous.