Lost in Spaaace! (RP Thread)

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Ace looked down at his leg as if he was examining it himself, "doesn't feel any different actually," he replied. To be honest, Ace couldn't really remember how his leg felt but he wasn't going to take any chances. It felt like he had weights tugging on it and that was good enough for him.

"That reminds me. When you have a chance Ace, I would like you to met me down in the medical bay to give that leg a proper examination."

"Can we go now? The sooner I get this leg fixed, the better," Ace said. Her tone seemed a little hostile but he could understand why. Not everyone would feel comfortable going.

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
Iskierka finished her coffee quickly, then answered Ace. "Sure, sounds like a good plan. Do you need some help down to the medical bay?" she asked, somewhat concerned - she didn't want to see his injury get any worse.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Do you need some help down to the medical bay?"

"No I'm fine. Got here by myself after all," Ace replied. He picked up his crutch and made his way towards the medical bay with the doctor. In the few first steps Ace tried to walk without limping but no matter how hard he tried, his leg wouldn't co-operate. For the rest of the walk he didn't bother; she needed to know just how bad it was.

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011
Iskierka saw Ace stumble, and would have no more of it - his acting tough would only injure his leg further. Not waiting for a cry for aid, or responding to any argument against it, she lifted the arm on his injured side onto her shoulder, forcing him to use her as a brace. "Lets get this wound checked out shall we?" she said, smiling to try and keep him calm - if he was having this much trouble it couldn't be good.

@Nouw: How bad of an injury do you want to make this?

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
David decided to follow Capek and Ace to Medical in case they needed any help.
That and his plan to enter the bridge was the cause of Ace's injury so he felt he should do something.
Taking his coffee with him, he stood by in case the Doc needed anything.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Surprised by the doctor, Ace almost tripped again. He was used to suppourting people but not being suppourted by them. Throughout his life he had been the one to help the injured, ease their pain and give them comfort for the few precious minutes of life they had. Was this Ace's fate? It was strange being in the other person's shoes, having his role flipped. Strange, yet comfortable. He had someone he could rely on, someone he knew would live for longer than him. Content, Ace smiled back. So this is what it feels like.

@hiei: A serious leg fracture and deteriorating.

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011
Iskeirka continued down into the bowls of the ship - to the medical bay; Ace on her shoulder. She noticed that David had elected to follow them and she was happy for the help. After some time, she the small group reached the medical labs - her home away from home now - and carefully set Ace down on a bed "I need you t stay here and keep off that leg; we don't want it getting any worse."

Once she said it, she moved toward a medical station and started turning on the systems. "David, would you be so kind as to help me turn on the diagnostic equipment?" she asked, glad for any help he could offer.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
"David, would you be so kind as to help me turn on the diagnostic equipment?"

"Yeah, sure." David answered before he began to work the Diagnostic Interface.
Or was it just Minesweeper? Technologically Inept
After doing...Something, He turned to Capek and asked "Your Surgical Tools are still clean and sterile, Right? I mean we DID just pull a graveyard out of this place yesterday..."

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011
Iskierka was sitting in an office chair, starting her computer equipment when David spoke up. "Your Surgical Tools are still clean and sterile, Right? I mean we DID just pull a graveyard out of this place yesterday..." David said after turning on... a coffee maker? Guess he wanted more coffee? Iskierka suppressed a a sigh, and pushed over to the Diagnostic array, and pressing the on-button. Then she answered David's question.

"I did, but it wouldn't hurt to do it again - we can't risk infection out here. Thanks for pointing that out." she said, before turning to look around. "Now where did I put the medical scrubber?", hoping to find what she needed to re-clean the tools.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
David looked at the Coffee Machine with an embarrassed expression on his face.
"Goddamn Interface. I swear we pump TRILLIONS into Military Spending but lord forbid if we make using the computers easier. They only control Everything..." he ranted, leaving the Coffee on.
The Diagnostic array started scanning Ace's Leg as David watched the image come up on screen.
"...Ouch...That look like it hurt..."

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011
Iskierka looked at the diagnostic display and paled. She was thankful she was staring away from Ace, as it would be a dead giveaway that his leg was in bad shape. Several large fractures crisscrossed his leg, appearing much like a spider web. When the metal clamped down on his leg, it had all but shattered the bones within. Worse, his auto-immune system was striking out at parts of his leg, unable to identify it as part of him anymore. They could set his leg, but the cartilage that held it together would likely never recover. All-in-all, it was bad; really bad. Were they on earth, the doctors would have cut their losses and had an advanced prosthetic produced, but here they had no such good luck. Even if the leg could be saved, it would take a real medical expert, not her minimal knowledge in the field

Iskierka scoured her mind looking for a solution, but none came. Iskierka turned off the display and silently indicated for David to meet her outside; they would need to find a solution somehow.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
David nodded and quickly came up with a fake reason to leave to keep Ace calm.
"Eh?..." He said before checking for a non-existent Message on his PDA.
"Ah....Yo Ace, Jake needs a hand finding Mozart. Just stay still, Scan might take a while. Me and the Doc will be right back." He lied before setting the number of scans to 20 to buy some time.

Once outside, He shut the door and and sighed out of Ace's hearing.
"Man...He's been walking around on that thing? and I thought I was Hardcore...So what happens now Doc? Can anything be done?"

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011
"So what happens now Doc? Can anything be done?" David asked.

Iskierka shook her head slightly. "If we were on earth and I were a medical doctor, absolutely. But... David... I don't know." she said, letting the message sink in. she took a deep breath and continued "I'm no expert in medicine and I don't have access to the kind of resources it would take. If this were earth, they'd recommend amputation and advanced prosthesis, but as far as I know, we don't have a prosthesis factory on board." she said concluding her thoughts, her hand on her forehead.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
"If this were earth, they'd recommend amputation and advanced prosthesis, but as far as I know, we don't have a prosthesis factory on board."

David processed the grim Information before glancing back into the Med Bay.
"Rigggghhhtttt...Crap...Well...Guess that leaves us with Amputation....Just it's the entire Leg right? just if there is a stump, I could grab some metal to make a Peg Leg..." He asked, showing just how little he knew of Medical Science.

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011
... I could grab some metal to make a Peg Leg..." David said, not fully grasping the situation. Still, his idea wasn't all that unlikely; a fact that made her worry. As far as she could tell, she had three options: 1) Somehow bandage Ace's leg, fill him with every immune-represent drug she could find, and hope his body could do the heavy lifting; 2) Find a working prosthetic leg on a corpse somewhere, then jury-rig a method of hooking it up to Ace; or 3) Suggest taking their ship pirate because they would have a new, peg-legged drew member. There were other options obviously, but none of them ended well or even bordered on "ethical" - they were immediately dismissed. All-in-all, every option came down to just one thing:

Luck. Hopefully, Ace had a lot of it.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
"I know it sounds stupid but given our current situation, It'll have to do. I guess I can get some of that Blue Crap, the Alien stuff, to clean the Metal, then I should be able to bend it into shape..." David mused as the 10th Scan went though, Reminding Capek about that Strange Alien Goo that killed all but human DNA.

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011
"I think that's a pretty good plan - probably out best bet. I'm just going to get Ace's input on the matter before we proceed; it's his leg - he should have some say in it." Iskierka said, letting David know his idea was likely the best they would come up with. "Of course, I don't have any more of the blue stuff - you might have to talk to our house guest to get some. Do you want me to ask; I know you don't seem to like her very much."

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Ace had been through enough medical procedures and seen enough doctors to know that something wasn't right with his leg. Or rather, many things weren't right. Even though, throughout his life, Ace had been the one to watch the dying patient and do whatever he could to help the frantic doctor, he could tell. David's fib also helped give it away but on the bright side it had made him laugh, regardless of whether or not it had been his intention. After watching patient after patient, Ace had figured that the best thing he could do was stay positive and he was right. It was rather depressing to think about dying or being handicapped for the rest of your life. It was more so for Ace since he had accepted that he would never really die or be injured. A silly concept for most people but most people didn't have the extraordinary luck that Ace did. For the average man, coming to terms with death or a handicap was hard and for a man like Ace, even harder. All he could do was brace himself for the bad news that the doctor, or David, would reveal. Whatever they were going to say, it would be a foreboding of things to come. Perhaps the last if the powers-that-be were kind. So this is what it feels like.

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011
Iskierka, her conversation with David now complete, reentered the medical bay, intent on informing Ace of the results. As she took the long walk toward the bed, she thought about how best to tell him, but found herself drawing a blank - she wasn't trained for giving this kind of news - how was she supposed to figure this out?

After what felt like too short a time for the distance she crossed - a result of relativity no doubt - she arrived at Ace's bedside with no more clue how to address the problem then she had when she entered. having failed at this task, she decided to attempt it in another way.

"Ace, I've got some good news, and some bad news... How do you want to here it." she said, leaving the decision to the victim.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
"Just tell me what's wrong doctor. There's no need for half-truths or cherry-coated news," Ace replied. Ace had assumed that being slow and sensitive when giving bad news was for the best but now that he was actually the victim in the bed about to receive it, he wanted the blunt-truth. It would hurt, yes, but Ace just wanted to hear the words from the doctor herself. A part of him still wanted to believe that he was alright but it was a painful hope to have. Without knowing the diagnostics, without being 100% sure, Ace's mind had room for doubt and therefore hope, a hope that would surely be crushed. So this is what it feels like.