Love FAQ: Sex Doesn't Just Happen

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Satosuke said:
Guy gets laid without even trying and is COMPLAINING about it!?

I have something for him:
Yeah, really. I mean, WHAT THE FUCK DUDE?

Let me get the world's smallest cello out for you too. This is a god damn tragedy.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
FarleShadow said:
....that's advice?

Isn't that stapled into everyone's 'relationship' handbook they get at school, along with a free condom and a note about STD prevention?
There's a what now?

Got the condom and the std bit at school. Nobody ever explained jack all about relationships though. Unless you're talking about the what bit goes where stuff with the quotation marks there.

I'm a mess with relationships. Don't pick up on cues. Can't suss out if someone's serious or not. Heck, everybody but me knew about a girl that was in love with me during high-school for a year. I got a rose on Valentine's day but because the entire class laughed at me (they had an anonymous delivery service at my school) I thought it was someone pulling a prank on me. Nobody told me until two years later because everybody thought it was obvious.

There's been at least two more cases like that in my life.

Whenever anybody starts talking about socially awkward and then remarks he's married they should try my shoes for a sec.

wolfgirl90

Mar 6, 2009
Athinira said:
If the DESIRE is there, then that means the ATTRACTION is there. Then it doesn't matter if you wait a bit because you have nerves (as long as the relationship survives the weeks where you attempt to gather it).
Of course, I will chime in with another exception. One can have sexual desire and attraction without being interested in a long term relationship.

I will admit that I am similar to the girl in Gratifications letter. I do tend to flirt a lot; hell, the phrase "take it slow" is not even in my vocabulary (however, unlike her, I'm very upfront with my intentions; if sex is the only thing I want, I'm going to tell you). I'm not a romantic person; haven't had a serious relationship in years (and with all of my friends facing relationship issues, I don't really care to initiate one at the moment either). Sex, to be, is a pleasurable activity, not a means to take a relationship to the next level or to gauge where a relationship stands (just because I'm enthusiastic sexually doesn't mean I want a relationship).

I'm not saying that other can't use sex to take a relationship to the next level. Just that not everyone feels that way (taking three steps into a club proves that much) and that sexual desire for a person doesn't always mean that the relationship is going to go any further than that.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
Satosuke said:

Let me get the world's smallest cello out for you too. This is a god damn tragedy.
Spoken like a lonely, lonely teen on the internet.

Sex is awesome, but if you have sex and then get thrown aside - and you were expecting something more - it's not a fun situation to be in afterwards. Like I said in my previous post: I don't think the sex was the problem. The problem was he didn't know her intention was just sex.

I can see how that would hurt.

Satosuke

Dec 18, 2007
Paragon Fury said:
Satosuke said:

Uh, that's a violin. You've never seen M*A*S*H or Reservoir Dogs before, have you?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
kreekgod said:
For what it's worth, I'm sorry that the world's going to suck for awhile, and that some quarters of it will never truly be receptive or understanding of where you're coming from. But as so many have said before me, it does get better. High school sucks for everyone-gay, straight, bi, alien from Mars. So just hold on. Wait it out. You'll see.
hold on there now, dont give that kid the impression that life somehow gets better after high school, because it doesnt

high school sucks, collage sucks (if your doing it right anyway), work sucks, life in general sucks, and then you die, and if there is one, i bet thats going to suck too

i hear that retirement is kinda nice... so theres that, i guess

anyway the point is, theres no point in worrying about silly things as to your sexuality, you like what you like, and theres nothing wrong with that
we all suck anyway so just decide weather you want to ask this guy out or not and move on
jesus..speak for yourself, we arnt all emo you know

highschool sucked but Im enjoying that I do now 100% more

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
suffering is the path to enlightenment. AKA getting rejected, recovering and learning from it. Its also the path of having one night stands learning from it and deciding what matters from what you've done. or whatever your particular path goes into. Sometimes you have to fail....alot and then you get lucky and find what or who you are looking for. The article's advice is good. honestly from my experience all parties involved must be 100% consenting or else its doomed to fail. Obviously people have many different opinions on how to attain happiness through sex and love but thats the point. once again finding the path to enlightenment also means forging your own way without the influence of others. BTW highschool isn't all its cracked up to be and college isn't either. Its how you use your time and energy that dictates your successes. I'd say the most important thing about life is showing up. After all thats half the battle. The rest is asking out the damn girl. Go for it or regret it. Those choices are yours to make whether they are simple or impossibly difficult.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Satosuke said:
Paragon Fury said:
Satosuke said:

Uh, that's a violin. You've never seen M*A*S*H or Reservoir Dogs before, have you?
I have.

I was saying I'll get the get the world's smallest cello too, so that we can have 1/2 of the world's smallest string quartet.

ThrobbingEgo said:
Paragon Fury said:
Satosuke said:

Spoken like a lonely, lonely teen on the internet.

Sex is awesome, but if you have sex and then get thrown aside - and you were expecting something more - it's not a fun situation to be in afterwards. Like I said in my previous post: I don't think the sex was the problem. The problem was he didn't know her intention was just sex.

I can see how that would hurt.
1: I'm not a teen.

2: Listening to him is kind of like listening to a dude complain that Starbucks got their lemonade iced tea wrong while you're stuck out in the desert for your 21st year.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
when two people have sex after just a few days or weeks of knowing each other, it indicates their relationship will be more casual and short-lived.
Good grief.

My wife and I had sex on our first date. In January of 2000. Married in 2003. First kid in 2008. Second in 2011. Marriage going fine.

Let's just say this is not a hard and fast rule you seem to have invented.

kreekgod said:
high school sucks, collage sucks (if your doing it right anyway), work sucks, life in general sucks
High School sucked at first, got better Senior year when the path out was clearer. First two years of college had a lot of painful learning experiences, but were overall great. Four years in the Air Force had a couple painful learning experiences, but was overall even better. Working a job I didn't like paid for a lot of fun things. Working a job I liked less to support us while my wife finished her degree was boring as I was at work or she was at school... but at least the WoW was good. Finishing my degree while she worked was fantastic - great classes and we were both home nights. Finally working at a job that I both love and that pays reasonably well is amazing beyond words. Life in general is awesome, though there are a few annoyances I am hopeful will fade with time.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
artanis_neravar said:
EverythingIncredible said:
artanis_neravar said:
Asking a girl out? or getting rejected?
Getting rejected.

I've seen girls actually berate guys for asking them out when they were apparently "clearly not interested."
Very true, that can be humiliating, but it's a chance you have to take, unless of course someone has a mind reading device, which I would love to have access too
That or you turn their angry tirade back on them by rather than looking humilliated, you give them a dissaproving stare, and say something along the lines of "Damn was I wrong about you"
or "I'll take that as a "no" then", if there's one thing that brought me from being afraid to ask any girl/woman out, to litterally approaching people in public and starting conversations and then getting phone numbers(on the bus, in the grocery store, mall, sometimes in the park) it was getting over the irrational fear of rejection and humiliation, after all, it doesn't harm you to be rejected, and when it comes down to it if you ask a girl out and she freaks out at you, isn't that just another sign that a relationship with her would be a BAAAAAD idea anyway?
Rejection is not a sign of whether or not you're acceptable, most times if a woman reacts in a highly negative way towards you it's a problem with HER, remember that.