Love Songs, Please Just Give Us A Break

mjcabooseblu

Apr 29, 2011
I hold your hand in mine, dear. I press it to my lips. I take a healthy bite from your dainty fingertips. My joy would be complete, dear, if only you were here...but still I keep your hand as a precious souvenir.

Etc, etc.

hatseflats

Aug 22, 2011
Try Steely Dan. They haven't made a single (serious, non-cynical) love song.
That is also the reason why it's one of the few bands whose music I can listen more than a few times. The love song stuff is usually clichéd and lacks creative and intellectual depth.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Sandjube said:
Hy...hyperbowl? Come on Vault, that's new even for you. Now I can't stop thinking about some sort of blood bowl football game or something =P)

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
Vault101 said:
Sandjube said:
Hy...hyperbowl? Come on Vault, that's new even for you. Now I can't stop thinking about some sort of blood bowl football game or something =P
Holy crap that's amazing I want one. Where do I acquire these 'Hyperbowls'?

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
It's something that's relevant to a lot of people, and it's one of the most emotional experiences a person can have. Most people can relate to a love song, and bands know that. Also, band members are people too. A lot of them are probably writing from personal experience, as bands do with most songs.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
The only ones I like are by Jonathon Coulton or lordi.

I can't stand everything else. They all seem to assume it's the only important emotion, they're all fucking shallow, and the ones that don't assume such things always go perfectly are mostly done by people who look perfect who'll never have to really try to attract anyone. It's like when millionaires make songs about being broke as if they're still broke.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Unless you only discovered music last week, how are you only just noticing that love is a common theme with half of all songs??

Anyway, it's ok not to like things! The artists will hopefully make songs about whatever inspires them (ha, I wish) and you can pick and choose what you find too sappy or repetitive.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
iplaygamesyo said:
Buckethead for instance. Musician. I went to a buckethead concert and watched him wail a guitar for five hours one time. Not enough people in the world respect that.
Funny, that sounds like the least enjoyable thing I could imagine experiencing.

You can't just throw aside subject matter with no context.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
mjcabooseblu said:
I hold your hand in mine, dear. I press it to my lips. I take a healthy bite from your dainty fingertips. My joy would be complete, dear, if only you were here...but still I keep your hand as a precious souvenir.

Etc, etc.
Well yeah, but Tom Lehrer can even turn the periodic table into a song so trying to compete with him is impossible :p

I dislike love songs myself as well.. generally avoid them. Music nowadays seems to be either Omg I got a bf/gf, Oh noes we broke up, or PARTY PARTY PARTY .So I avoid most of it.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Doclector said:

I can't stand everything else. They all seem to assume it's the only important emotion, they're all fucking shallow, and the ones that don't assume such things always go perfectly are mostly done by people who look perfect who'll never have to really try to attract anyone. It's like when millionaires make songs about being broke as if they're still broke.
Whilst I definitely agree on your general point, the Lordi song is somewhat undermined by the simple fact that the female in it is very attractive.

Then again, that's a very common thing with stories about how beauty isn't important. It generally only applies to the author's gender and not to the opposite one.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
My most favorite band, HIM [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIM_(Finnish_band)], uses the dark side of love for the majority of their subject matter. Same topic, different point of view. To me, it feels more real and honest than most.

Anyway, the majority of my music library focuses on subjects other than love (not that I've checked, and some of these bands sing in foreign languages, so maybe that's bull). Maybe you just aren't digging deep enough? It's hard to find good music.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Most bands in my library have only made 1 or 2 love songs, but some of those are real love songs, as in they wrote about love because it was an important experience in their life. Like Bob Dylans Sara, I reckon it's a great example.

I'd say you're a little nit picky, but you're also right about many bands being repetitive. Don't regret listening to them, just move on and hope you find something great.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
You think this is a recent occurrence?!

Like 500 years ago bitches in 1580 was this shit written, the lyrics are of course about serenading a woman and are expected to be sung by the suitor playing the song. If you think moaning about love is a new phenomenon i wouldnt even begin to bother looking back in time. Its soppy love songs since music even began. Sure you get things outside that but the idea things have recently "descended" into love songs is ludicrous. If anything we have more to write songs about since our government isnt a monarchy and we can freely write political songs about how much we hate the government (Serj Tankien anyone?) and our lives without keeping inside taverns and our own houses.

Also some are about random fun times, my song to listen to right now is this:

Which is about... something? A space station? Who knows...

And my favorite song of all time:

Which i can only surmise is about the destroying of earth by a supremely powerful rage filled being.

Fun fact: The oldest written love song was found in an Egyptian tomb that was 4300 years old.

Also fun fact: Muse are awesome

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Hagi said:
Doclector said:

Whilst I definitely agree on your general point, the Lordi song is somewhat undermined by the simple fact that the female in it is very attractive.

Then again, that's a very common thing with stories about how beauty isn't important. It generally only applies to the author's gender and not to the opposite one.
I was thinking more about the song than the video, but you make a decent point.

mjcabooseblu

Apr 29, 2011
Thedutchjelle said:
mjcabooseblu said:

Etc, etc.
Well yeah, but Tom Lehrer can even turn the periodic table into a song so trying to compete with him is impossible :p

I dislike love songs myself as well.. generally avoid them. Usually avoid "current" music anyway as I just can't stand it most of it :\
Meh. If you can actually use the internet, there's "current" music for all tastes and styles.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Well, pop is shallow genre to begin with
It is as if average (and bellow) person can't listen to music that deals with less simple topics
Because everyone knows what love is right? Telling romantic BS that is as far away from truth as possible, loss of any remains of common sense, pink hearts covered in corn syrup and shit like that. It is simple concept and 99% of people don't need introduction to it.
So it isn't a big surprise that most of the songs are about love
I would advice you to ditch pop genre for some time and try different songs
(maybe eventually you'll return to pop music, who knows)

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Love songs are fine, it's the constant break-up songs - no wait, break-up ALBUMS that teen female singers seem to drone on and on about.