Low Sales Kill Alpha Protocol Sequel

psychic psycho

Dec 17, 2009
Ah well, the ending of the AP was satisfying enough. The ending left it possible for a sequel but doesn't require one. Everything was wrapped up pretty nicely.

I thought the game was awesome. I don't think the game needs a sequel. I do hope Obsidian gets to make something similar to it someday.

For those asking about a patch. http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98401-gb-feature-obsidians-plans-for-alpha-protocol-patches-and-dlc.html
They're working on one but no news on when it'll be released.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
RelexCryo said:
Godmoding isn't cheating when you do it within the rules of the game. For me, the point of a game is not to overcome difficulty, but to remove it. The point of a game for me, is to figure out how to reduce the difficulty of a problem to zero within the rules of the game, not to overcome a very difficult problem directly...
Ok I kinda sorta get you, while it's not the style I play myself, I understand your train of thought. Two things though:
1) Trainers kinda still let you do this.
2) Very few games that I know of "allow" you to play this way. The only ones I can think of are large-scale open landscape games like Morrowind and Oblivion that allow you to "level to infinity". Alpha Protocol is essentially a linear game - it puts you in "levels" or "missions", whatever you prefer to call it and has a limited amount of levels. While I understand that it's not what you want (based on what you said above), I do have to say that you shouldn't be jumping into this game expecting that in the first place, as it just doesn't seem like the kind of game you're looking for (and I must say, the type of game you're looking for is relatively rare to find). It's sort of like jumping into a NASCAR race and complaining how it's not an open landscape :p

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Vrach said:
RelexCryo said:
Godmoding isn't cheating when you do it within the rules of the game. For me, the point of a game is not to overcome difficulty, but to remove it. The point of a game for me, is to figure out how to reduce the difficulty of a problem to zero within the rules of the game, not to overcome a very difficult problem directly...
Ok I kinda sorta get you, while it's not the style I play myself, I understand your train of thought. Two things though:
1) Trainers kinda still let you do this.
2) Very few games that I know of "allow" you to play this way. The only ones I can think of are large-scale open landscape games like Morrowind and Oblivion that allow you to "level to infinity". Alpha Protocol is essentially a linear game - it puts you in "levels" or "missions", whatever you prefer to call it and has a limited amount of levels. While I understand that it's not what you want (based on what you said above), I do have to say that you shouldn't be jumping into this game expecting that in the first place, as it just doesn't seem like the kind of game you're looking for (and I must say, the type of game you're looking for is relatively rare to find). It's sort of like jumping into a NASCAR race and complaining how it's not an open landscape :p
Okay, I see your point. And you make a very good one.

Bayushi_Kouya

Mar 31, 2009
There's going to be a Fable 3.

BUT

NO

BETA PROTOCOL.

There are times when I just want to quit playing video games period, because I obviously live in a different reality than everyone else who plays them.

Here we have a giant leap forward in the concept of the RPG, one where what your character says ACTUALLY matters and has an effect on life, the universe, and everything, one where the answers aren't just trotted out for you and you get to choose what happens in the future, rather than just picking your character's comment as the scripted events happen anyway and everyone has sixteen kittens and a biplane because occasionally an enemy would get stuck in a wall.

This is why all the games coming out are sequels. No one is willing to give a new IP even an ounce of slack. Of course a new game's going to have some rough patches, it's a NEW GAME.

I feel the need to go piss on a copy of Bioshock.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Pretty much as expected.

But ah well. At least it tried something truly interesting, if somewhat unbalanced. And there are far more frivolous ways to dissapoint than just through a lack of commercial success.

To quote Yahtzee: "I for one am glad to have taken part of this great experiment."

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
I has a sad. Finally a game arrives that leave me wanting more of it and then this? Really?

While I certainly don't think the game was perfect it was surely fun to play and it had some really well done elements. I'd have loved to see more of it and given Obsidian a chance to perfect it. In some ways I prefer AP to ME, as the game world gives me a greater sense of connection, be it my choices and the results of them and the e-mailing stuff. I felt that I was a part of this world.

The same can't be said for Mass Effect where it sometimes feels like Shephard is moving in a isolated box, his actions being only visible to himself. That problem was even bigger in ME2 where Bioware went out of their way to remove the player from anything related to the events of the first game. I sure hope they are doing something better for ME3.

AP is a solid game, and anyone who bashes it based on graphics seriously need to rethink their priorities. And while I'm sure there are bugs, I personally experienced none. Unlike ME2 where I experience flying bugs (and the need to reload) on every play-through.

In short, SEGA, screw you guys! :D

Apr 29, 2010
I'm trying to figure something out. When they say a sequel won't be made, do they mean it like it will never be made no matter what anyone says or does, or in a "the possibility of a sequel being made might be considered in the future, but for now there will not be one" way?

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
This is what happens when you decide to cheap out on the voice acting of the main character, also the shooting mechanincs really sucked.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
It's a shame because this game could've been great...but instead it was pretty abysmal. Between clipping issues, achievements not popping, and fullscale crashes, Alpha Protocol had a lot of bugs. And this is a game that was delayed several times. I like Obsidian, but this has been their MO since KOTOR2 and NWN2. High concepts and poor results. Sad really.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Yeah, sorry Obsidian or Sega or whoever is mostly responsible for this, the gaming market does not forgive sloppiness. Next time, get your shit together and don't rush games out.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Meh.. I just bought it too, I think the games kind of fun actually, not perfect but it's like a modern day Mass Effect. That sucks, but I understand the developers viewpoint too, they have to put food on the plate like everyone else.

pyrus7

Mar 16, 2010
This can be a good thing. If they decide to release a similar game under a new title, it won't carry the same prejudices that the first one has.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Dr. wonderful said:
...Oh damn it.

Why not just remake the game like they did alone in the dark!?

It WAS a brillant idea.
Cuz Alpha is already on both consoles and PC so they can't remake it for the other system and give the first beta testers the bird again. I know I sure appreciated getting the opportunity as a 360 owner to beta test AITD for PS3 owners. Would have been nice if I didn't have to pay 60 fuckin bucks for it. And a simple heads up would have been nice. A little tag on the box that said hey you are not going to enjoy this game. You are just testing it for Sony.

And hopefully they can take what they learned from AP and put it in a setting I would appreciate more. I dislike realistic games like that.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
colonel_alzheimers said:
Jaredin said:
Well, im glad for that. I enjoyed AP, but, I dont think it needs a sequel.

Im happy with what I got...unless they could seriously opolish it, its not worth the second option
Just out of curiosity, if you finished the game, did the ending leave open the possibility of a sequel?
oh yea, would have been interesting to.

OT: I love how if it doesn't sell well in the first few weeks it's considered a failure, they should at lest wait a few months to see what happens.