Low Sales Kill Alpha Protocol Sequel

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
That saddens me to hear Alpha Protocol will not be getting a sequel. I thought Alpha Protocol was a pretty good game. Yes, it had some flaws and bugs in it but I was able to overlook them and realize how good the game was and also how unique it was as well.

I hope Obsidian uses the speech and dialogue system they did in this game for other game they make.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
I actually liked Alpha but im not upset about there being sequel i loved the choice system

I_B_Ready

Dec 18, 2009
its' a shame that there won't be a second go round for this one. I'm at the endgame, and while this game is by no means refined, that hasn't stopped it from being a fun time. There's a lot wrong with it, the lockpicking/hacking/overriding minigames are painfully annoying, the aiming system should have been simplified, because the extras added really impaired it. and there are indeed bugs. With all that said though, the choice system (where you decisions ACTUALLY mean something) is among the best I've come across, and the storyline and characters are intriguing enough to tolerate the sub-par gameplay.

It really would have been nice to see a fully realized version, because there's too much good here to just leave on the scrap heap.

Kroker

May 29, 2008
Baby Tea said:
"My only regret...is that I have...bugitis...URK!"
Cookie for the Futurama reference.

'Tis a shame really, I was going to buy this but then I decided to just wait until I could find it cheap. Guess it's people like me that are to blame eh?

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I was planning on getting it, but I'm on a strict budget currently. Shame Metacritic is such a huge factor in their decision making, as some of the best games I've played were unpopular overall, and vice versa.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
DaxStrife said:
Would have bought it if there was a hint the PC version would be patched to fix the bugs and broken combat.
Since the PC version has neither bugs nor broken combat, your wish is already granted.

(Ok, it has some minor quirks, like not showing you which Intel entries you haven't read yet. But nothing game-breaking. And most of the supposed "lame graphics" can be fixed by modifying one of the settings files slightly.)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Once the game becomes a $20 value game at your local big-box game/electronics retailer, it will likely see in upswing in sales. It didn't look like a terrible game but, as has been pointed out, it had a lot of issues and bugs (apparently: never played the thing) Once it goes down in price, I'll pick up a copy (assuming it doesn't get pulled before it hits the $20 mark)

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Sebenko said:
What is it with these big budget games? It it really worth it?

More games by little groups, Like M&B: Warband, please.
I agree, big budget games seem to be about wringing pennies then making fun games. Alpha Protocol was not a great game but damn it, it was fun.

Asophetes

Jan 19, 2009
Trezu said:
I actually liked Alpha but im not upset about there being sequel i loved the choice system
I heard it's living on in Dragon Age 2 in a form. Just a rumor, but good.
Echolocating said:
I want to know why Obsidian is having so much trouble with creating finished/stable games.
I think it had something to do with the lead development staff. One of the employees at Obsidian said that one guy in the head chair was putting new ideas in the game that the others had to adjust. Unfortunately, most people skimmed it and took from the letter "DURR HURR THIS GAME SUCKS CAUSE I WORKED ON IT FARB".