Lucas Re-Releasing Star Wars Movies in 3D

Tanfastic

Aug 5, 2009
Bring it on! I say.

In fact I'd like them to finish the other 3 movies that they canceled due to them "Not being skywalkers" but I say "Anakin was whiny, Luke was even more whiny, this could be awesome+NO WHINING!"

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Jaded Scribe said:
Jbird said:
Jaded Scribe said:
Jbird said:
Logan Westbrook said:
But on the other hand, it's a chance to see the movies in theaters again, which is always exciting.
While I'm not speaking on behalf of every person in the United States, but I'm pretty positive most people will have the equivalent of a home theater system. And why would anyone want to go into an overcrowded theater with annoying people and equally annoying children?
Because there is a certain magic about seeing it on a screen several stories high.
The magic dies the moment a baby is crying and some douche is kicking the back of my seat.
Well, that's your issue. Obviously if everyone thought movie theaters were a waste, no one would go to them.

If you have no interest seeing it in theaters, great. But there's no reason, regardless of what we have at home, the rest of us aren't going to enjoy it.
I may have no interest in seeing it in theaters, but that doesn't mean I can't give my opinion on it. And just scanning through most of the other comments here, I am not alone in my Lucas/3D-bashing opinion.

Also, not everyone will have this so-called "magical" movie-going experience. There will always be something shitty that will ruin the moment. And don't argue that I'm saying it will ruin the overall experience. That's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is it will happen, you'll get mad or irritated and then you'll get over it because there's the rest of the movie to watch.

In my experience, it's always within the first 30-45 minutes of a film that something happens where no one can sit quietly. Granted, this doesn't happen every time I watch a movie in the theater, but I can count on both hands how many times it happened.

MonstersInMyCloset

Jul 26, 2009
i must say i enjoyed the phantom menace and it will be cool to see the galactic senate scenes in 3d

but how will they do this effectively without it looking crappy

model every character in 3d. model every environment. redo all the blaster shots and lightsabers. not worth it, i say.

this my official opinion the matter:

george should do a new weird movie like THX 1138. with everything he has at his disposal and all the power he has, he could do anything.

something funny bizarre and strange.

thats my opinion

i think everyone will welcome it with open arms and wallets

BlackAura

Nov 29, 2009
After the deaths of Star Wars AND Indiana Jones, there's no way in hell I'm going to give Lucas any more money to roll around in. I am done.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Two problems with this.

1. I can't see the advantage 3D will bring to the films, with the exception of the opening shot of A New Hope. Seeing the Star Destroyer fly over your head in 3D should be fantastic.

2. They're coming out a year after the Blu-ray release. Which means, shortly after buying the whole saga for the fifth time to have the high-definition version, people are going to have to buy them again to watch the 3D versions at home. I know Lucas has always been a fan of the double-dip, but this is ridiculous. I assumed that, if he was going to convert them to 3D, he would only release the 3D version on Blu-ray, instead of releasing the 2D versions on it first. Turns out he doesn't have enough money yet.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
Jbird said:
Jaded Scribe said:
Jbird said:
Jaded Scribe said:
Jbird said:
Logan Westbrook said:
But on the other hand, it's a chance to see the movies in theaters again, which is always exciting.
While I'm not speaking on behalf of every person in the United States, but I'm pretty positive most people will have the equivalent of a home theater system. And why would anyone want to go into an overcrowded theater with annoying people and equally annoying children?
Because there is a certain magic about seeing it on a screen several stories high.
The magic dies the moment a baby is crying and some douche is kicking the back of my seat.
Well, that's your issue. Obviously if everyone thought movie theaters were a waste, no one would go to them.

If you have no interest seeing it in theaters, great. But there's no reason, regardless of what we have at home, the rest of us aren't going to enjoy it.
I may have no interest in seeing it in theaters, but that doesn't mean I can't give my opinion on it. And just scanning through most of the other comments here, I am not alone in my Lucas/3D-bashing opinion.

Also, not everyone will have this so-called "magical" movie-going experience. There will always be something shitty that will ruin the moment. And don't argue that I'm saying it will ruin the overall experience. That's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is it will happen, you'll get mad or irritated and then you'll get over it because there's the rest of the movie to watch.

In my experience, it's always within the first 30-45 minutes of a film that something happens where no one can sit quietly. Granted, this doesn't happen every time I watch a movie in the theater, but I can count on both hands how many times it happened.
I have no issue with you chiming in on the Lucas bashing. I think it's pointless, but to each his own.

the part I quoted gave the impression you were making a blanket statement of "If you have a decent home theater system, why would you go to a movie theater?" which I find more than a little ridiculous.

RickD3487

Apr 5, 2010
Why even bother with the 6 core movies, why not start branching out into the expanded universe. It's already written, all you need is a screen play and you're good to go

Bantis

Jan 27, 2009
I'm surprised no one mentioned it was also announced that there will be a Copper Edition of the prequels released to commemorate the 1 1/2 year anniversary of the Jar-Jar Bink's nose redesign. It said this edition will include a Sarlacc tentacle figure and one of Jake Loyd's socks. Supposedly it will come in an aluminum plated package in the shape of Yoda's bawl-sack. Rumor has it there have been 6 million pre-orders.

Revan NL

Apr 22, 2010
Well, you could say that Episodes 1-3 are gimmicks, so in that perspective it's logical to plaster a gimmick like 3D on top of that. But to rape the original films even further????

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Oh thank goodness. I was hoping George Lucas butcher the last shred of his franchises' dignity by redoing them in fucking 3D.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I'd prefer that they weren't released in 3D, but I will still see all of them. And I will love it. Maybe it's because I'm only 18, but I don't mind the CGI added into IV-V-VI and, while I much prefer the OT, I like the prequels. I don't get why people are so angry about it, though I can easily understand skepticism. The best thing to do, angry haters, is to not go, convince people not to go, and maybe, just maybe, Lucas wills stop.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Jaded Scribe said:
I have no issue with you chiming in on the Lucas bashing. I think it's pointless, but to each his own.

the part I quoted gave the impression you were making a blanket statement of "If you have a decent home theater system, why would you go to a movie theater?" which I find more than a little ridiculous.
Let me specify then: Why would anyone want to go rewatch these Star Wars movies, in 3D no less, in a theater when you can stay home with a home theater system? It's just another weak excuse for Lucas to make more money.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Well, I'm actually excited about seeing the original trilogy in theaters for the first time, but why didn't we start with those?

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
The worst part is I'll probably give in and pay to see this. Damn you Star Wars for your intractable hold on me!!!!!!

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
Jbird said:
Jaded Scribe said:

Let me specify then: Why would anyone want to go rewatch these Star Wars movies, in 3D no less, in a theater when you can stay home with a home theater system? It's just another weak excuse for Lucas to make more money.
Because some of us find it fun to go to movie theaters. Some of us have children that we want to take so they can have the experience of seeing it on the big screen. Instead of bitching and moaning about how other people spend their time and money, why don't you get off your high horse, say that you won't be going, and just leave it at that? Why do you feel the need to sneer at those eager to see it?

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Jaded Scribe said:
Jbird said:
Jaded Scribe said:

Because some of us find it fun to go to movie theaters. Some of us have children that we want to take so they can have the experience of seeing it on the big screen. Instead of bitching and moaning about how other people spend their time and money, why don't you get off your high horse, say that you won't be going, and just leave it at that? Why do you feel the need to sneer at those eager to see it?
After the long argument we've had, you're just now asking why I am a Negative Nancy? Have you learned nothing?

/leaves thread forever

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
rockyoumonkeys said:
This is James Cameron's fault.
If it was any other movie and any other director, I'd agree with you. But it's George Lucas! One of our (once) great-GREAT movie minds! The guy had a could create whatever he wanted to, but instead he chooses to milk a dead cow. Once upon a time, Cameron probably looked up to George. No, this isn't Jame Camerons fault. Cameron is probably face palming as much as any of us.