LucasArts Classics Coming to GOG.com - Update

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
LucasArts Classics Coming to GOG.com - Update

Six games will be in GOG's first wave of old-school LucasArts titles, with a total of 30 heading to the distribution service.

Update: GOG has officially confirmed [http://www.gog.com/news/new_publisher_disney_interactivelucasfilm] the addition of Disney Interactive/LucasFilm as a new publisher. It also lists six games that are out right now from the catalog, including the X-wing and Tie Fighter Special Editions, The Secret of Monkey Island and Knights of the Old Republic. More than 20 titles will eventually be released.

Original Story: GOG.com [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123055-Disney-Closes-LucasArts] is about to change that. The distribution service has reportedly made a deal with Disney, new owner of all things Lucas, and as a result, Star Wars: X-Wing and Star Wars: Tie Fighter will be getting special edition re-releases.

GOG was forced to show its hand when Polygon [http://www.gog.com/forum/general/tomorrows_lucasart_releases_confimed_so_far/page1] reports that the partnership with Disney will result in 30 DRM-free games being added to GOG's library.

In addition to the complete versions of X-Wing and Tie Fighter, other games revealed in the leak are Sam & Max Hit the Road, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. As for the other titles rounding out the list of 30, your guess is as good as mine... and you should give me those guesses in the comments. If anyone's wondering what I'd like to see, a remastered version of Maniac Mansion or Day of the Tentacle will do nicely.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/27/7080179/star-wars-x-wing-tie-fighter-games-digital-release]

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
"In addition to the complete versions of X-Wing and Tie Fighter"
Just gonna say it so nobody else has to
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
Just hope they don't need a joystick or I'm boned.

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
Please let one of those 30 games be Escape from Monkey Island? I know it's not great but I'd still like to play it, and it barely works on XP and beyond.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Awwwww Yisss, Sam & Max: Hit the Road! Not only one of the best point & click adventure games ever made but one of the funniest to boot.

As for upcoming releases I imagine the Jedi Knight games will also be popping alongside maybe the old Rebel Assault games as well. Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 are almost a sure thing sooner or later, Grim Fandango as well seeing how highly requested they are.

And then maybe if we're lucky we'll get the best Lucasarts game of all time: Star Wars Yoda Stories!

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
This...this is a dream come true! Insta-buys for X-Wing and Tie Fighter!

Let the celebration commence!

The Special Edition release of Star Wars: TIE Fighter will include the Defender of the Empire expansion, both in the 1994 and 1998 versions, GOG.com says.
OH HELL YES!!!

This is an instance where the original is better than the remake, as the iMUSE dynamic soundtrack was far more immersive than the Redbook audio ripped from the films.

I only hope the 1994 version comes with the digitized speech of the Collector's Edition CD-ROM release.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Xan Krieger said:
Yep. They'll get my money too. :)

I wonder if it happens to be a big seller developers might finally have another look at genre again. according to Wiki EA has the license to "develop Star Wars games for the core gaming market" So I wonder if it might give them pause to develop something new.

SteinarB

Jun 16, 2014
X-Wing and TIE Fighter? Yes please! I've been trying to get my old versions of those to install for ages, and it's a bloody hassle! So much so that I've just given up. Getting them from GOG ready to go with DOSbox included in the install is perfect!

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
Ohhhhh my goodness. All the X-Wing. ALLTHE X-WING.

I realized a little while ago some of my strongest gaming memories growing up were from space combat sims - Wing Commander, X-Wing/Tie Fighter and Descent: Freespace. Getting another piece of nostalgia back on my hard drive will be a glorious day indeed.

SteinarB

Jun 16, 2014
Xan Krieger said:
I seem to remember they can be played with mouse and keyboard as I did that on the computer lab PCs back in college, however it's fair to say the experience is significantly better with a good stick.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
SteinarB said:
Xan Krieger said:
I seem to remember they can be played with mouse and keyboard as I did that on the computer lab PCs back in college, however it's fair to say the experience is significantly better with a good stick.
I used to have a joystick but when it broke I never got another so I'm hoping it's mouse and keyboard. It was a fairly basic stick and I kinda miss it, the throttle derped and would never go above 66% which in combat meant I was just a slow moving target.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Xan Krieger said:
You can get a cheap reliable stick for 30 bucks so even if it does need one you wont be to put out.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Wait wait... X-Wing and Tie Fighter? That I won't have to do 101 hotfixes and user made fixes to make work only to find out they still don't run right on my modern PC? Meaning they'll work as soon as they're d/l'ed and installed?
I swear if an X-Wing/Tie Fighter simulator HD remake is announced, I may die of extreme happy shock.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Wait wait... X-Wing and Tie Fighter? That I won't have to do 101 hotfixes and user made fixes to make work only to find out they still don't run right on my modern PC? Meaning they'll work as soon as they're d/l'ed and installed?
I swear if an X-Wing/Tie Fighter simulator HD remake is announced, I may die of extreme happy shock.
Oh, yes. This news almost brings a tear of joy to my eye :´) Getting these games to run nowadays is a nightmare, and since floppy drives disappeared, I have no way of installing X-Wing anyway. And unfortunately as the years passed, my Imperial Pursuit and B-Wing disks have also long disappeared.

I'd definitively fire up X-Wing for the nostalgia, but I'm not sure I'll have the patience for a complete replay. Some of those missions were HARD! So hard in fact that today's coddled audience would probably denounce the game for being completely "unfair" or even "broken".

TIE Fighter on the other hand is more polished, detailed and interesting. That rare sequel that manages to improve upon the original across the board without compromising anything that made the original great. Including better balancing. I'd love to step into one of those death traps again.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Tiamat666 said:
TIE Fighter on the other hand is more polished, detailed and interesting. That rare sequel that manages to improve upon the original across the board without compromising anything that made the original great. Including better balancing. I'd love to step into one of those death traps again.
I have probably lost a lot of skill over the years due to being unable to play but back in the day I could use an A-wing to take out a Nebulon-B frigate without taking damage, which was hell because of all the friggin' lasers on that beast. Strangely over-powered ship considering they're not supposed to be that much of a threat really.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Now if GoG releases x-wing Alliance as well I wouldn't see the light of day for probably a month. :D

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
This...this is a dream come true! Insta-buys for X-Wing and Tie Fighter!

Let the celebration commence!

The Special Edition release of Star Wars: TIE Fighter will include the Defender of the Empire expansion, both in the 1994 and 1998 versions, GOG.com says.
OH HELL YES!!!

This is an instance where the original is better than the remake, as the iMUSE dynamic soundtrack was far more immersive than the Redbook audio ripped from the films.

I only hope the 1994 version comes with the digitized speech of the Collector's Edition CD-ROM release.
Acknowledged. Gamma. 2. Using your target for attack!