LucasArts Classics Coming to GOG.com - Update

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Kotor is getting a GOG release?

OH THANK YOU SWEET JESUS!! ;D

No longer will we have to deal with the crappy CD version or Steam's barely-existent 'support'!

Please, Disney, I beg you: release Jedi Knight II and Jedi Academy, please!!

Those games were kick-ass!

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
TIE Fighter was the very first game I owned that I sunk more than 12 hours into. I was obsessed with that in the early '90s. Hope to see Grim Fandango too.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
EDIT: I just realized that there's a countdown on the front page of GoG, and it goes off in less than ten minutes!

There are all kinds of dark sorcery I would be willing to engage in to finally be able to play Galactic Battlegrounds again. My discs are worn to uselessness, and I'd rather have a stable copy than pirate it and do the all the legwork in getting it to run on a modern system.

Ima Lemming said:
Please let one of those 30 games be Escape from Monkey Island? I know it's not great but I'd still like to play it, and it barely works on XP and beyond.
Seconded. It would be nice to finally have a legitimate copy of that one to complete the collection. It would also give me an excuse to dust off my Monkey Combat chart.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Neverhoodian said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Acknowledged. Gamma. 2. Using your target for attack!
"Good-work-Gamma-2-secondary-mission-objectives-complete. The Emperor will be pleased."

Good times, good times...
Best campaign in that game had to be the guerrilla war against Admiral Harkov. You get drawn into a trap in a minefield against two ace pilots, and then out of nowhere the Osprey arrives and pulls a ballsy extraction. Then you spend the rest of the campaign raiding Harkov's shipping and tearing down his Rebel allies.
"Enough of this charade, Gamma 1 is the Emperor's stool pigeon!"

Aye, what a battle that was. It really made an impact because you had a personal stake after Harkov goes out of his way to kill you. I was itching to bag the bastard by the time the battle's final mission took place.

Apparently GOG is getting hammered with traffic right now, because it won't process my transaction. Good thing I'm a patient man.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
IndieForever said:
The only Lucasarts game I could never get my hands on was 'The Dig.' *waves hand* This is the game you're looking for.
Tie Fighter and X-Wing are new, but are you not aware that The Dig and numerous other Lucasarts games have been on Steam for quite some time now?
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2102/

(FYI, the Steam versions will not work with ScummVM ? the data has been purposefully shuffled around to break compatibility, and the ScummVM team has chosen to respect this choice. There is a tool that will re-shuffle the data and restore compatibility; it's just buried somewhat.)

Anyway, maybe they'll bring back RTX RED ROCK! EVERYONE is looking forward to that, right?

Gestapo Hunter

Oct 20, 2008
THEY DID IT! X-wing and tie fight just got released on GOG just bought mine!

Now get back in your cheap,no shield,minimal armor,no life support,no hyperdrive, and minimal weapon load out TieFighter and take out those rebel scum X-wing with has all and more of those thing which which i said YOUR Tie does not. Dog Commander from Starfox! do you wish to say anything to these brave Imperial Pilots??

Starfox dog commander: ?GOODLUCK!?

small

Aug 5, 2014
well thats made my week and i know what i will be pickingup next pay day.

wow x-wing and tie fighter.. i still remember how difficult x-wing was and it scares me.

*looks over at my joystick* welcome back old friend its time to go old school!

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Xan Krieger said:
"In addition to the complete versions of X-Wing and Tie Fighter"
Just gonna say it so nobody else has to
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
Just hope they don't need a joystick or I'm boned.
This

I remember those games and I loved them so much...

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Gestapo Hunter said:
THEY DID IT! X-wing and tie fight just got released on GOG just bought mine!

Now get back in your cheap,no shield,minimal armor,no life support,no hyperdrive, and minimal weapon load out TieFighter and take out those rebel scum X-wing with has all and more of those thing which which i said YOUR Tie does not. Dog Commander from Starfox! do you wish to say anything to these brave Imperial Pilots??

Starfox dog commander: ?GOODLUCK!?
Please, those Rebel scum don't have a chance against my Tie Defender. It was so OP that they dummied out the files for it in X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter ("Advanced space superiority fighter. This craft is too powerful to be put in this simulation. Dream on, fanboy!")[footnote]Actual description for the files.[/footnote] When it was finally put back in for X-Wing Alliance, they implemented some serious nerfs so Imperial pilots wouldn't completely steamroll the enemy in multiplayer.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Between this and the Disney games coming to Steam, it looks like somebody at Disney still gives a shit about video games even if they've given up on making any new ones ever again. Wonder if any of those will be coming to GOG as well. Sadly, the only Disney games that are considered classics were only made for consoles, so we definitely won't be seeing any of them.

I'll be picking up Sam & Max and recommending my cousin get it as soon as the site decides to start working properly again; right now, hitting the Checkout button just returns me to the homepage. It even works on Macs, which is more than I can say for the first season of the Telltale series. *shakes fist*

Jorpho said:
(FYI, the Steam versions will not work with ScummVM ? the data has been purposefully shuffled around to break compatibility, and the ScummVM team has chosen to respect this choice. There is a tool that will re-shuffle the data and restore compatibility; it's just buried somewhat.)
Well, that's ironic, since I'm pretty sure the Special Editions run on ScummVM; I remember there being some kerfuffle about that.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I just got done trying out all of GOG's versions for X-Wing and Tie Fighter, and I'm somewhat disappointed. The older variants are taken from the floppy disk releases instead of the superior CD-ROM version. That means fewer missions, lower resolution (320x240 instead of 640x480) and no voices for briefings or in-flight. It's particularly mystifying since I can run my collector's CDs on a Windows 8 machine with minimal tweaking thanks to DOSBox. I only hope GOG will update the release with what is widely considered the definitive versions of both titles.

Still, I'd say the purchase is well worth it for someone who's never played the series or wants a backup in case something happens to their physical copies.

IndieForever

Jul 4, 2011
jamail77 said:
Why did you remind me of this terrible moment in my life? I never even got to finish the game!
I feel your pain. My copy got lost in a house move before I could get cellophane off the box. Over the years I have found two on Ebay - the first was an unopened, brand-new box, which I jumped on, but got a very apologetic email from the seller who said someone picked it up in his shop before he could remove the listing. The second arrived, looked in perfect condition with not even a fingerprint on it, but my CD-R wouldn't read it.

The soundtrack in The Dig is meant to be superb and I'm always looking out for things to plagiarise inspiration. I just can't bring myself to see if there is a YT video which would ruin the experience if/when I actually get to play it.

Jorpho said:
are you not aware that The Dig and numerous other Lucasarts games have been on Steam for quite some time now?
I am not! It hadn't even occurred to me to look there and, although I would rather support GoG, I think that will end 20 years of pent-up frustration for myself and Jamail77 if it's not one of the releases. Also, if I'd Googled the game, as I have just done, I would have seen the Steam shop entry is the second item in the list underneath the wiki entry...

Apart from the fact that my bulk order of 'doh!' has arrived all at once, I'd like to see Full Throttle as well. My original disk has gone the way of the dodo - it looks like someone has polished it with sandpaper.

For those of you who actually have a legit copy of Grim Fandango and want to see it running in glorious 640x480 on Win7/8, 32 or 64 bit, head on over to Github to grab the hacks (compilation needed). They work perfectly. If you trust ready-made .exes from sites, try something like this. (some good Lucasarts utilities there as well actually!)

jamail77

May 21, 2011
IndieForever said:
jamail77 said:
Why did you remind me of this terrible moment in my life? I never even got to finish the game!
I feel your pain.
No, you don't. What the hell do you know about it?! It's not like you ever got to try the game in the first place! You were without the experience right from the beginning. What makes you think you know anything about it?! Huh?! I'm suffering now because I had that experience. How on Earth could you possibly understand what it feels like to lose all that?! To never finish!

Might as well be absolutely sure that you know I'm kidding in case I went too far in my tone there. I'm sure the paraphrasing of a terrible manga/anime makes that clear to those who recognize the reference though, haha (Admittedly, used to be decent, even good at some points, but never lived up to potential then went downhill real fast).

IndieForever said:
Jorpho said:
are you not aware that The Dig and numerous other Lucasarts games have been on Steam for quite some time now?
I am not! It hadn't even occurred to me to look there and, although I would rather support GoG, I think that will end 20 years of pent-up frustration for myself and Jamail77 if it's not one of the releases.
I actually knew about the Steam copy of The Dig and actively avoid getting it. It's not just because I'd rather support old classic games like that via GOG (They used to be Good Old Games for a reason, they handle old games better), especially with lack of DRM, but also because I still have the physical case for the game. It feels wrong to get the game again digitally when I have the physical case waiting for its precious content to return home. Don't cry. I'll get you your CD back someday. Or, if not that, then maybe it'll turn out my Dad does have a copy of the original CD lying around and he just gave me the wrong one, labeled The Dig by mistake. I'll think of something. Don't collect dust and let a sense of abandonment fester within you! Just hang on a little bit longer!

I'm sure the game will end up being a GOG release sooner or later. They got a deal to release LucasArts games and this is just the first batch they're handing out. I am confident GOG will get a good chunk, if not all, of the collection soon enough.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Grim Fandango needs a re-release, so we can soar....LIKE EAGLES ON POGO STICKS!

Also, the Dig. Because the angry German said so.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
sleeky01 said:
Now if GoG releases x-wing Alliance as well I wouldn't see the light of day for probably a month. :D
I'm dreading that, because it means I'll have to get out my X45 and actually fix the damn thing for reals this time.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
Steve the Pocket said:
Well, that's ironic, since I'm pretty sure the Special Editions run on ScummVM; I remember there being some kerfuffle about that.
There was one ugly kerfuffle when it turned out someone had ripped off ScummVM wholesale for use in the Wii ports of Freddi Fish. But there are no kerfuffles associated with the Steam versions that I am familiar with.