Lucasarts Games that Deserve Another Shot

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
TOR is not KOTOR3, it can never be KOTOR3, Bioware says a lot of things that turns out to be far from the truth as they try to promote stuff that is unpopular with the fan base. TOR is so far and removed from the KOTOR series, Revan and the Exile are clearly desperate afterthoughts when they realized fans wanted KOTOR3 not TOR. It's hardly even closure for most of the cast of KOTOR1 and 2. They just mysteriously disappear from history despite apparently rebuilding the Jedi order and at least one of them was on the Council for the time.

KOTOR3 is still very much possible, they don't have to have Revan and the Exile, everyone else from the series is still very much alive in that time period, doing something that Bioware doesn't want to explore. It can be a very easy, simple plot line, help either the Jedi rebuild or the Sith rebuild. Just everyone ignore Drew Karpshyn's crappy Revan novel that has the Exile shitting all over her own students who are rebuilding the Jedi Order. Drew clearly only skimmed wookiepedia about the events of KOTOR2 and like most folks from Bioware, he doesn't give a crap about keeping the lore straight and accurate.

So my votes on Disney getting someone to make KOTOR3 finally. I want to play a young, impressionable Jedi being taught the force and pazaak from Atton Rand.

The only thing stopping it from happening is Bioware/LucasArts copy right crap that delayed Obsidian from continuing KOTOR2. Only it's now compounded with Obsidian's copy right crap. That might actually be the reason Bioware won't touch most of the characters of KOTOR2 in TOR.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Ah, Rogue Squadron. I'm getting all nostalgic just thinking about that game. The game that got me into gaming.

Also, how many sacrifices do we have to make to see another Battlefront game? My inventory of young virgins is running low.

_alter_ego

Jun 26, 2010
I know Battlefront was mentioned, but here is my rational for it being remade:
1) I loved it (a given i guess).
2) Both had terrible/hilarious AI and Multiplayer.
3) Both games were very unbalanced.
4) had so much untapped potencial.

X-wing or Tie Fighter games are complex (in a good way) and expand on the univers, Rogue Leader was probably the best game at reliving Star wars moments. Although that probably something that has been played out.

I think all the argument Shamus used for Republic Commando also could be used as an argument for Shadows of the Empire, with the exception of it not having mass popularity. It focused on a non-jedi mercenary and could lead to a less morally black and white story.

I'm curious, I remembered a lot of hype for Republic commando but I never touched it. Was it good game or a good for a star wars game?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Falseprophet said:
Shamus Young thinks that hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Exactly. I think it was Penny Arcade's Tycho who lamented how there used to be stories about all the smugglers and diplomats and soldiers and pilots and criminals in the Star Wars universe, before every story had to be about the millennia-long holy war between two factions of demigod warrior monks.

Jedi were kind of cool when they had an air of mystery and detachment to them. But in the original trilogy there were still fleet battles to fight, Kessel Runs to make, bounties to be collected, music to be played, and ships to be gambled away in games of chance, and those never involved Jedi. Will we ever get a chance to play those people again?
Yes, the more details about the jedi we learned, the more absurd or just plain stupid they became. Honestly, taking kids at birth and raising them in some cult that turns them into an emotionless, sexless robot without any choice in the matter is just horrible. Uncle George wasn't really thinking there.

The rest of the universe is much more interesting

deathbeforedecaf

Oct 26, 2008
Xwing and or Tie Fighter games were so good.Half the reason i still play games today is because of them, got me hooked.

JemJar

Feb 17, 2009
Akalabeth said:
Why in the hell does everyone say X-wing vs Tie Fighter when

A - That was not the best game in the series by a mile (Tie Fighter)

B - It was not the LAST game in the series either (X-Wing Alliance)

Drives me nuts as Total Biscuit says that game all the time too when I used to watch him.
Howabout "X-Wing / Tie Fighter series".
Storyline. X-Wing you're flying for the rebellion and kicking ass and being all cool 'n' shit. TIE Fighter is awesome, flying for the Empire and it was great being novel and sort of being "the baddies" for once.

XvT was all about starting on one side of the fence and then jumping to the other side, that kind of switch is rarely available in games and even more rarely actually works. Anyone remember HAZE?

XWA was awesome though.

On the subject of an X-Wing game reboot, yes there aren't enough buttons on modern controllers to do all the things you could do on a full keyboard and yes that sucks, because power management and reassigning shield energy was a major part of XWA mechanics.

But the simplified controller isn't a problem, it's an opportunity. How do you adds all these detailed controls and commands to modern consoles? VOICE CONTROL. It works for the Kinect. It worked for Tom Clancy's End War.

"R2, full power to the engines!" "R2, jump to hyperspace." "R2, target nearest fighter!"

survivor686

Jan 15, 2012
I agree with the writer. There are some genuine Star Wars videogame gems that deserve a modern HD treatment. Republic Commando stands out because it takes a unique, gritty, harsh perspective on the universe of Star Wars.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Definitely a Shadows of the Empire. I love how the environments were mixed in that game, and even different gameplays, switching from a rather basic version of Rogue Squadron to a third (of first) person shooter, its my favorite Star Wars game. The boss battles were pretty difficult too from what I remember. It's been awhile since I've played it, so maybe I'd be better at them, but I do remember them usually either being AT-STs or some other kind of menacing droid or robot. I'm terrified of robots or droids that are specifically built for killing, and even most that aren't. The prospect of something having a body hundreds of times more durable than mine and strength to snap my bones like they were made of chalk makes me feel powerless, and this game brought those fears to realization.

MikeN

Nov 5, 2009
Republic Commando is crying out for a sequel with co-op. Players could take the role of the different troopers in Delta Squad each with specific abilities/gear. It could have been something like a "Rainbow 6" game set in the SW universe.

I was surprised that XW vs TF never got a remake/sequel during the console era as multiplayer & internet access became so much more widespread. Heck, I'd have been happy with just a HD remake on xbla/psn.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I played Dark Forces for the first time recently (I played Jedi Knight back in the day, but never DF), and I had a pleasant swash of nostalgia sweep over me. There is something classy about these old Doom-type shooters that has been lost over the years. The difficulty and the level design from the old days are something else.

I practically grew up on X-Wing and TIE Fighter. I love these games. They had this fantastic atmosphere that made you feel like you were actually part of that universe, and the flight model was excellent. There are some decent space sims out there today, but unfortunately they all concentrate on putting your anonymous person into a cold cockpit from which thou shalt never leave -they have all the space sim but zero character. The X-Wing games, up to X-Wing Alliance were not only space sims, these games had a soul and made you care, and they had a story to tell. I'd really love to experience that again. (having high hopes for Star Citizen).

I also played Republic Commando, twice. I think it's a very decent game. The squad mechanics are well implemented, second only to SWAT 4, and the game does make you feel like you're leading a squad of commandos. Despite being clones, they show a good amount of character. I'd be very interested in a sequel.

GodofTheForge

Sep 7, 2011
There are 4 I can think of off the top of my head that I would absolutely LOVE to see in my lifetime:

1. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3 (One of my favorite game series because of the rich stories, mature handling of the material, and absolutely brilliant mechanics.)

2. Star Wars: Battlefront 3

3. Star Wars: Republic Commando 2

and last, but most certainly not least....

4. Armed and Dangerous 2 (One of my favorite games ever. It's absolutely hilarious, all the characters are memorable and well-acted, and it's a world with a lot of potential lore)

RanceJustice

Feb 25, 2011
The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series, and the Xwing/Tie Fighter series are some of my favorites of all time. The flight sims with my father was a great memory for me as a kid - we'd share the best way to get through that Xwing: Mission 3 where you had to get through the mine field, debate the different ways to bring down different missions/kits/upgrades, the awesomeness of the Death Star attack, and eventually how to get into Tie Fighter's "Super Secret Sith Society" where the Emperor himself would give you a bright purple tattoo for undertaking secret objectives in the mission. I'd love to see both of these return.

However, I'd be remiss to not mention their greatest spiritual successor, which not only promises to replicate the best parts of Wing Commander and Xwing/TieFighter, but take it to an entirely different runaway level: Star Citizen!

Star Citizen is looking to be a dream game made real; the first true "space opera" simulator. Will it have an extensive, branching single player campaign and expansion packs? Yep. Will it have a persistent online universe to rival any MMORPG? Yep. The ability to run mods and custom, private servers? Sure. Will you actually have a human avatar inside your space ship? Amazingly, yes. You can walk around inside your fighter, lay down in your bunk, put doodads on your cockpit display etc... there's also going to be boarding/ground combat. Disable a fighter and if you have a docking collar, you can actually dock with them, breach their hatch, walk onto their ship and attack/take hostage/kill the enemy pilot, while sacking its cargo hold...or even stealing the ship and towing it back to a friendly base to have its "license plate" changed! It is hugely ambitious, uncompromising, and crowdfunded by those who really want to make magic. Read more about it on http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/ - don't forget to read the blog posts on the Comm Link as there is a ton of data there. If you haven't backed yet, there's a promotion going on until May 5 which gives you the game for cheap (did I mention it is Buy-To-Play!) with lots of bonuses including the Luxury Edition (LX) version of the "Starter" craft, which has extra missile pods installed and leather seats (which are actually visible in game etc..) Find the promos here: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/the-aurora-revealed/

and just for fun, here's a link to the "brochure" they made for the Aurora ship. Keep in mind, this is the NEWBIE SHIP. You can only imagine the awesomeness of higher end items. https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/cdn-rsi/brochures/aurora_brochure.pdf

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
Chuppi said:
I want new versions of "The Eidolon" and "Koronis Rift" as well as a Sequel to "Grim Fandango".
You shouldn´t treat Lucas Arts as if the alway had been just a Star Wars Company.
Dude, you rock! I loved those games when I was a young one, and if I had kids, I'd use these as great gateway games. I would love to see a revamp of all these titles.

That being said, however... MORE X-WING!! MORE TIE FIGHTER!!!

rayen020

May 20, 2009
honestly, if they remake X-Wing and/or Tie Fighter please please please, have a package that includes a joystick, possibly themed to star wars. I absolutely refuse to play those games with either a mouse and keyboard or a gamepad. Playing either of those titles with such a control scheme would just feel wrong.

And to all the people talking about battlefield 3, he said he was talking about the older classics, not the thing they just canceled.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
rayen020 said:
honestly, if they remake X-Wing and/or Tie Fighter please please please, have a package that includes a joystick, possibly themed to star wars. I absolutely refuse to play those games with either a mouse and keyboard or a gamepad. Playing either of those titles with such a control scheme would just feel wrong.

And to all the people talking about battlefield 3, he said he was talking about the older classics, not the thing they just canceled.
That's what gets me about people who talk about playing flight sims with a mouse. Were they not alive at the time? Flight sticks were where it was at. For that matter, X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance both refused to start up if you didn't have a joystick (or at least a gamepad) hooked up. I'd imagine the Windows versions of X-Wing and Tie Fighter, the ones that used the XvT engine, probably did as well.

Seamus almost completely covered my nostalgia just by listing the X-Wing games and the Dark Forces series. The only other thing I'd like to see is a new Star Wars: Episode I Racer game. That game is one of the best pure racing (as in no powerups or weapons) games of all time, and it was probably the best thing to come out of the prequel trilogy. This is someone who actually likes the prequels talking, by the way.

If you're wondering why I don't list Battlefront or KotOR on my nostalgia list, well, I like both series, but I only got a chance to try them a few years back. Not much nostalgia there for me.

Joe Fajita

Mar 9, 2009
Every time someone on the internet refers to Dark Forces as more or less a "Doom Clone", I'm compelled to show them this article:
http://plover.net/~bonds/darkforces.html

mrpollio

Oct 18, 2012
I am surprised there is so little pull for The Dig to be remade, or at least given the Telltale touch.

Few games from that period embodied the rich layers of philosophy that The Dig was able to display and present it to a 13+ audience.

Also, it was a really fun and dark game. I think that even if it doesn't make it as a rebooted game it would make a fantastic science fiction movie. Something like Prometheus, but good.