LucasArts Run by "Psychopaths"

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
"But won't someone think of the publishers?"
"Big corporations have to make money too!"

yay, another reason to immediately deride people when they try rolling out those angles again! :D

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
This doesn't make any sense?

Destroy the chances for creating a garenteed sell with large critical reception to make The Force Unleashed instead?

Oh wait, somehow that piece of trash sold extremely well...

Why did that piece of @#%^ sell well? :(

Matt Dellar

Jun 26, 2011
Last Star Wars game I played was Jedi Knight 3. I was waiting for a fourth, but it doesn't look likely anymore.

Well, who's up for a full-scale indie revolution?

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Wait, publishers are evil, underhanded, and abusive toward developers? When did this start? And where are the thousands of white-knights defending said publisher? Oh wait, this is The Escapist, it crawls with them.

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
The actual eurogamer article, was probably one of the best articles I have ever read, gaming related or not. It was heart rending and tragic to see what happened to Free Radical and honestly, it makes me loose a lot of respect that I once had for the gaming industry. To be brutally honest, I don't believe that an industry exists in this world that is more corrupt and soul destroying than the gaming industry. People like Valve, Mojang, Bethesda are falling by the wayside and I don't think it will be long until indie development is the only route for anyone who wants to do what they want. Farewell Free Radical, you will be weeped for.

217not237

Nov 9, 2011
Damn, I misread this as "Psychonauts" and got my hopes up that LucasArts brought Tim Schafer back in... If only, if only.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
matrix3509 said:
Please people, don't act surprised at this. We've already been told that this is how publishers act on a regular basis by Brian Fargo. There is only one way to fight this bullshit. You know which way I'm talking about.
Does it involve ships and the high seas?

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
Mmmmmmm, something fishy in that story. A developer and publisher need to work together as a team toward a common goal, or it will never be successful. The dev here (Free Radical) seems to be telling only their side of the story. If the publisher truly believed that the game was costing too much to develop, then I'm sure they told the dev about their concerns - if the dev decided to throw the contract back in their faces instead of actually trying to work with them to address the problem......then I'm not surprised the publisher lawyered up and screwed them right back.

When the client says "this costs too much and we're going to lose money/never finish", the response isn't to say "we have a contract and we're meeting our milestones, so piss off", the appropriate response is to work out with the client a path forward that both can agree on.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I've heard about LucasArts legal paranoia for years now.

Knew some beta-testers and journalists who went to Lucas Ranch, and they said it was run like an elaborate corporate prison complex. They either security or a lawyer with them at all times watching them like a hawk. Everything was methodical and scheduled to the minute, including the questions they were allowed to ask, or the terms in the contract they were allowed to negotiate.

It's a legal minefield run with ruthless efficiency.

Honestly, as depressing and horrifying as this article sounds, it fits in exactly with what I'd heard about LucasArts before.

TOR came about because they were dealing with other giants who were as money-obsessed as they were (EA), but based on how that transaction worked out, I think even EA fears LucasArts to some degree.

Mysticgamer

Apr 14, 2009
Imbechile said:
Why are people surprised? Since the 2000s LucasArts is hands down the worst AAA company.
We're surprised because we remember when they had games like Full Throttle, Day of the Tenacle, Sam & Max Hit the Road and a dozen different games that weren't Starwars extended universe shit then suddenly we blinked and now there's nothing but Star Wars extended Universe shit on their site.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Mysticgamer said:
Imbechile said:
Why are people surprised? Since the 2000s LucasArts is hands down the worst AAA company.
We're surprised because we remember when they had games like Full Throttle, Day of the Tenacle, Sam & Max Hit the Road and a dozen different games that weren't Starwars extended universe shit then suddenly we blinked and now there's nothing but Star Wars extended Universe shit on their site.
Those days are unfortunately long gone.
LucasArts started to decline around the start of the new millenium. They've already released so much shit in these 10+ years that I'm asking why the surprise and shock all of the sudden?

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
Imbechile said:
Those days are unfortunately long gone.
LucasArts started to decline around the start of the new millenium. They've already released so much shit in these 10+ years that I'm asking why the surprise and shock all of the sudden?
Perhaps its because people would rather assume it would have been something more like LucasArts unable to retain good developers, and was loosing them to stronger publishers with promises of bigger budgets to such likes of EA and Activision. Or loosing your star developers who wished to leave to make their own developer studios, rather then being micro managed by the overlords, you know, the typical stuff that happens every week now...

I don't think anybody actually honestly expected that LucasArts went into self destruct mode jumping on landmines wanting to just not shoot themselves in the foot, but blow them off completely.