LucasFilms Confirms adding "NOOOOOO!" to Return of the Jedi

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
My reaction to this new Noo scene:

In all seriousness Lucas has lost the plot and now i shall stomp my foot down on the ground while uttering the following line:

Synyster

Madman with a laptop
Jul 20, 2011
Ah, All that was great about Star Wars once again being destroyed for further profit. I don't understand how anyone at LucasFilms would think this was a good idea, some of the smaller changes like re-dubbing Boba Fett's voice with the guy who plays Jango Fett are understandable because it is in effort to make it fit into the canon better, but this simply ruins not only this scene but also Darth Vader's characterization up 'till this point, as he rarely vocalized his thoughts and not knowing what a villain is thinking adds the the psychological aspect of the character, an example of the complete polar opposite to this effect is Anakin Skywalker is episodes 2 & 3 (and to a lesser extent Episode 1 but he was supposed to be portrayed as an annoying little kid) where instead of being a likeable character, he just came off as a whining little *****

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I'm so glad I picked up my DVD of Star Wars a few years ago when they released the original theatrical version. Okay, they called it an extra, but it's the only version I'll ever watch.

I don't get Lucas. This is starting to look like some kind of weird mental illness he's got.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I truly believe the original three Star Wars movies were masterpieces. That being said I will quietly watch my old VHS copies and enjoy them, untainted, as I remember them.

Reman Khaar

May 26, 2011
I have no issue with this. I always thought that Darth Vader being silent during such a scene was very odd. The only improvement that I think could be done to this scene is that the second "No!" should sound angrier.

plainlake

Jan 20, 2010
GODAMMIT! I havent seen my VHS of the empire strikes back in 10 years. Thepiratebay to the rescue! Can I get sued if I make a fan-made cut out of the digitally enhanced ones?. Screw it! I will.. think about it.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
It's amazing to see what happens when some like Lucas has no one around him to say no or to tell him "This might not be the best idea, George." The man can't recognize that the films were fine on their own and the most hardcore fans were perfectly ok with trying to remember the new trilogy as little as possible. He is so disconnected with reality, it's tragic. The changes might appear small, but what they represent is incredible.

Ham_authority95 said:
Why does anyone care about Star Wars anymore? The time to care about it was in the 80s, not now.

Maybe we should focus our fanboy/girl energies into Sci-Fi movies that aren't past their expiration date yet.
Star Wars was (is?) a cultural phenomenon that's been the inspiration for many sci-fi films after that. It stands as a testament of smart mix of good storytelling and compelling tension and action. It is a movie that kids nowadays still enjoy. It's an important film. Asking to disregard it is like asking to disregard any important film. Though, maybe considering how badly Lucas is butchering them, it might not be such a bad idea. And this is coming from someone who is far, far from being a die-hard fan.

Guys, don't buy this shit. Gotta prove to Lucas he can't just release something and expect his fans to gobble it all up without question.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I wasn't intending on buying the Blu-Ray release anyway, because I just knew he was going to pull this shit.

I'm going to go watch the final cut of Blade Runner again... I need to get this bad taste out of my mouth.

ASan83 said:
I gave up on Star Wars a long time ago, when I first saw the 'enhanced' Return of the Jedi and wanted to wash my eyes out with chlorine after seeing that horrible, horrible song & dance scene.
Oh you should see what they did to the finale in the DVD release.

WHY!?

I don't understand why Lucas has to change the original trilogy to fit into the continuity of the prequels. It should be the other freaking way around.

EDIT

Also I'd like to note that I'm not that old. I'm only 25, but I've had the originals on VHS since before the special edition and prequels came out. I watched these movies religiously as a kid--to the point where I can hear a part of the musical score and tell you exactly what scene it was from--and it sucks seeing Lucas destroy them like this.

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
I gave up on Star Wars a long time ago, when I first saw the 'enhanced' Return of the Jedi and wanted to wash my eyes out with chlorine after seeing that horrible, horrible song & dance scene. Have yet to watch even a second of the prequels, and have no desire to. I can see how this would piss a lot of people off, and I can sympathize, but I'm long past the point of caring about anything with Star Wars in the title.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
The fact that you pre-order the sequels to a set of movies that you most likely already own show the fatal flaw in this whole nonsense. The fans who complain that they like the old versions usually own the old versions. No one is forcing them to buy the new versions. Yet they act as if changes in future versions affect what they have. It doesn't. Go watch the VHS and be happy. Ignore everything Star Wars related in the future, pretend as if it never happens. Whining and complaining while still ordering the thing just makes you seem like a hypocrite and an idiot.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Fronzel said:
Twilight_guy said:
Go watch the VHS and be happy.
The pan-and-scan, screwed-up colors, easily breaks and wears out VHS?

The real answer is piracy. If Georgy-porgy doesn't want to sell what you want, get it somewhere else.
Hey if you want Nostalgia you have to deal with the issues of the era. I don't even care if they bootleg a copy of the original theatrical version, what these fans want is the old version yet they keep complaining when he changes something in a new version. Don't get that version if it bugs you. This is basic logic here. Get what you want, don't sheel out money for the new one and ignore it. This is like Sonic fans complaining about every new games that comes out. Just ignore them if it bothers you, you know like a normal human being. (Gosh the internet is a text dump for whining).

AdumbroDeus

Feb 26, 2010
ewhac said:
If I were re-cutting that scene (and, let's be honest, it doesn't really need it), as Vader looks on as Luke is microwaved, I would intercut snippets from the prequels -- half-remembered pieces from Anakin's past, little pieces, nudges from Palpatine that he'd never put together before. The flashback fragments would show Vader realizing: Palpatine had set him up from the start.

He would also remember losing Padme, who (he still believes) died at his hand. Now he is confronted with losing the son he barely knew (and the daughter he never will). And so, [em]silently[/em], he turns, grabs the Emperor, and throws him down the tower shaft.
See, this would be a good choice.

IF there was an actual way to do it within the style of the story, i just don't see a way. But as an idea conveying vader putting the pieces together stoically would work.

Twilight_guy said:
The fact that you pre-order the sequels to a set of movies that you most likely already own show the fatal flaw in this whole nonsense. The fans who complain that they like the old versions usually own the old versions. No one is forcing them to buy the new versions. Yet they act as if changes in future versions affect what they have. It doesn't. Go watch the VHS and be happy. Ignore everything Star Wars related in the future, pretend as if it never happens. Whining and complaining while still ordering the thing just makes you seem like a hypocrite and an idiot.

We're more concerned about future generations having to deal with this nonsense.

Gnoekeos

Apr 20, 2009
There's an Idea, why not make it so you can pick and choose which alterations are inserted into the movie? There are a few things I wouldn't mind terribly seeing fixed like that the pupeteers arm in the hoth scene and little things like that but let me avoid major plot changes.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
actually I loved the prequels
BUT...this is not good. the other stuff Lucas, or rather the other people doing it, with the Blu-Ray weren't all that bad actually...

well Blu-Ray sucks too so it's whatever.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Littaly said:
Sometimes I get the feeling that Star Wars is somehow an Internet problem treated with the gravity of a real problem. The whole "George Lucas ruins Star Wars" outrage has all the juicy, fun, pointlessness of a regular Internet outcry, but because Star Wars is regarded as a classic movie and has value outside the geek community as well, we have this golden opportunity to generate an outcry deluxe.

Yeah, it's a pretty stupid addition, but movies belong to the people who make them, not the people who watch them. There's no reason to like whatever it is he changed this time (like, no reason at all), but as long as the original versions are still on sale, there is no real reason to get upset either.
yeahhhh...I totally agree with you. I grew up a huge fan and all, and these edits don't bother me cuz I still got the original VHS tapes. the unedited DVD trilogy sets are out there.

lol I'm only somewhat upset about the lack of a live action TV show and/or Battlefront 3 =( but no raging here