Ludicrously Ambitious Failed Dune Adaptation Lands Documentary

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
So a film adaption that never made it is now going to be released as a documentary?

I guess you could say...
*puts on sunglasses*
...the sleeper has awakened.

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAH!

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Well... Jodorowskys interpretation of Dune would have been rather interesting. He is a great director, El Topo is amongst my favourite movies of all time. But on the other hand, i'm also a huge fan of David Lynch, his "Straight Story" is also one of my favourites and his interpretation of Dune wasn't really satisfying. ^^

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Pink Floyd, Jodorowsky, Dali, Giger, and Dan O' Bannon?!

That's a surrealist dream team if ever I saw one.

I might have to actually read DUNE now.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
That picture right there is classic Geiger. I would love to see anything involving his work; one of my favorite artists right beside Chris Foss.

Cowabungaa said:
An identical robot double? Man, there's creative freedom and there's ignoring one of the cornerstones of the universe you want to adapt to screen.
I haven't read the books myself, but aren't computers and intelligent machines as a whole forbidden in the Dune universe? I can see why fans might have an issue...

Not to mention Dali's whole toilet throne shenanigan...

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
A film with Salvador Dali, Mick Jagger, Orson Wells, and David Carradine!? Just bring in Vincent Price and we've got ourselves a movie.

I couldn't sit through the Dune movie. They lost me after the overlong infodump at the beginning. Maybe one day I'll actually watch the rest of the film.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
[img/]http://reviews.mibba.com/data/images/content/people/men/salvador-dali.jpg[/img]

Oh Dali, you crazy throne loving robot.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
If I ever get myself a time machine, I'm going to have make sure this film got made...

The thing people seem to forget about Dune whenever they talk about movies, is that the book is pretty long. The first book alone is about the same length as the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, and think about how much from those books didn't make it into Peter Jacksons films?

So, yeah, 14 hours sounds about right to me =p

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
I haven't read the books myself, but aren't computers and intelligent machines as a whole forbidden in the Dune universe? I can see why fans might have an issue...

Not to mention Dali's whole toilet throne shenanigan...
Forbidden? They're considered herecy! An afront to God and all that. It's the whole reason the Dune universe is like it is.
Daverson said:
The thing people seem to forget about Dune whenever they talk about movies, is that the book is pretty long. The first book alone is about the same length as the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, and think about how much from those books didn't make it into Peter Jacksons films?

So, yeah, 14 hours sounds about right to me =p
Wait...what? I've got the first book on my shelf here, and it's 556 pages not counting the appendix. The entire LotR trilogy has around 1000 pages, if google isn't lying.

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
Quaxar said:
So a film adaption that never made it is now going to be released as a documentary?

I guess you could say...
*puts on sunglasses*
...the sleeper has awakened.

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAH!
One sees what you did there.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
I knew about this project, and I've always been glad it tanked. I love the (first) books, and the Lynch movie always managed to piss me off. I can begin to imagine the reaction this surrealistic travesty would've garnered from the fans.

If you want a good media adaptation of the books, watch the Dune mini-series and its follow-up, Children of Dune. They're not perfect, but they're as good as it's going to get.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Since Dune is one of my favorite book series' of all time I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand I don't think it's possible to make a good Dune movie, on the other hand this just sounds so ludicrous I want to check it out

NoDamnNames

Feb 25, 2009
David Lynch's movies was an ABOMINATION (pun intended for fans of the series), case in point being "would you like me to adjust your weirding module Muad dib?" Everyone who ever read the books asked the same question; WTF is a weirding module and what is it doing in my dune universe?!

The miniseries was a step in the right direction but just seemed to be absent of luster. Albeit it was a made for tv miniseries so most can be forgiven.

If you want to see Dune on the silver screen that bad it was already made, and handsomely popular, they just re-titled it AVATAR

Many movies are directly inspired by the Dune novels. to name a few The Matrix, Event Horizen, STAR WARS ANYONE!?

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
It's too bad they've never shown proper weirding combat. If you think to yourself: "I want to punch this guy the the ribcage above his heart, but he has his right side to me", your wanting to do this and in fact believing you already have, allows it to happen. You either appear to move incredibly fast around the opponent to their left side or in some cases seem to teleport through them. The only ones who can possibly defend against this are other weirding users.

Plus, Bene Gesserit have complete control over their musculature, even their hearts: a Bene Gesserit can literaly hit you like a ton of bricks. They can decapitate someone with a kick or punch a hole through them.

Viruzzo

Jun 10, 2009
The Dune miniseries was pretty good, quite faithful and despite the low budget (they used a lot of matte backgrounds, in 2002!) I think it's about as good as it could have been.
As for Jodorowsky, the same concept applies as for Lynch: if you are a crazy visionary director you may make good movies, but you are hardly fit to make an adaptation of existing material. Even less so with material that's hard to render in a movie, as is the case with Dune.

coldalarm said:
Cowabungaa said:
The entire LotR trilogy has around 1000 pages, if google isn't lying.
It's not a trilogy, it's a single novel.
Except that it's not. The Fellowship of the Ring, the Two Towers and the Return of the King are actually three separate books, they just get shipped as a whole nowadays. And without appendix they sum up to a 900-1000 pages total, about as much as Dune + Messiah + Children.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Viruzzo said:
Except that it's not. The Fellowship of the Ring, the Two Towers and the Return of the King are actually three separate books, they just get shipped as a whole nowadays.
Except that it is. Open up your copy and look for yourself if you don't believe me.

The Lord of the Rings is 1 Novel divided into 3 Volumes, further divided into 6 Books + Appendix. It doesn't matter if you have the "complete" edition or the three separate volumes, it's the same. Publishers sell it as a whole and as three volumes (Not exclusively one or the other). Actually, I think there's quite a few variations floating around the market.

Viruzzo

Jun 10, 2009
coldalarm said:
Except that it is. Open up your copy and look for yourself if you don't believe me.

The Lord of the Rings is 1 Novel divided into 3 Volumes, further divided into 6 Books + Appendix. It doesn't matter if you have the "complete" edition or the three separate volumes, it's the same. Publishers sell it as a whole and as three volumes (Not exclusively one or the other). Actually, I think there's quite a few variations floating around the market.
Well it was intended by Tolkien to be a single volume, but the three parts were originally published as separate books, so I guess it depends on how you look at it.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Viruzzo said:
Well it was intended by Tolkien to be a single volume, but the three parts were originally published as separate books, so I guess it depends on how you look at it.
Again, not really. If you split a TV season into two parts, as they often do for DVD releases, it doesn't suddenly become two seasons. It's still one season, but in two parts. That's pretty much what Lord of the Rings is when you buy the three-volume set, it's one novel in three parts.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
I've seen Jodorowsky's "El Topo" and I thought it was pretentious tosh, overloaded with a crazy amount of impenetrable symbolism. After that, I can't imagine he could make anything else that would be remotely interesting.