LulzSec Leader Outed As FBI Rat

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
You guys need to pick better titles for your articles. I mean come the hell on. Call him an FBI "Informant" not a fugging RAT. That's sounds very disrespectful to a man who had good intentions in doing what he did.

Oh and good riddance to Lulzsec. Didn't they do something to The Escapist a little while back?

Rorigon

Apr 14, 2011
You're telling me the leader of LulzSec wasn't a badass hacker righteously standing up to the Man, but a slightly nerdy dad who crumbled at the first whiff of jail time?

What a shock.

There's a reason Anonymous is, well, anonymous. They'd all rat each other out in a heartbeat if they got arrested. Lulzsec kinda forgot that.

Dec 14, 2009
Fappy said:
Good fucking riddance I say. I really love this, I'll be honest here. Say what you will about his reasons for doing it but the simple fact of the matter is that LulzSec's entire existence was based on a matter of principle, "people should secure their shit." And now at the end of the day we see their leader sacrifice his principles and betray his comrads. Hypocrisy and irony all in one delicious serving.
Whose had the last laugh now :D

I love it when shit like this happens.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
maddog015 said:
This. Grabbing a handful of people who might be "leadership" isn't going to stop it. That's like saying "We killed Bin Laden! Terrorism is over!"
Or even before that...
I always found this picture rather curious. I don't know how it's possible to so horribly screw up the spelling of the word "Nothing."

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
Lono Shrugged said:
This makes no sense to me.

Do you get how crime and punishment works?
Guess some people missed my point. I understand the whole, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" thing. I just think that it's distasteful to come out in public with the details of how you turned an informant. Public humiliation is not synonymous with justice.

I'm not saying that they can't turn people into informants by threatening to lock them up for their crimes. I'm saying it's not such a great thing to talk about how they broke someone using their family publicly.

Bottom line: if someone is willing to help you catch the bad guys in penance for their crimes, what exactly is the point of publicizing how you persuaded them, besides humiliating them?

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
This is short-sighted US policy. If groups like Anonymous and LulzSec don't expose security flaws in high-value targets, another silent protagonist, e.g. the Chinese, will exploit them.

Also, the fact that the US is trying so hard to crack down on these hacktivists and organizations like Wikileaks reveals how scared shitless they are about these groups leaking sensitive information. I wonder however, since when has it become the goverments job to hide secrets, cover up its tracks and protect corporate interests? I thought a governments job was to rule in the name of the public.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
What bugs me is what lulzsec was doing last year was "mostly" harmless and didn't end up actually hurting anyone seriously (at least as far as what was reported, correct me if I'm wrong). They really did seem to be doing it "for the lulz" and most of the time it just involved pointing out the flaws in security systems by stabbing it a few times and then pouring salt into the proverbial wound by gloating about how much their victim sucked at defending themselves. Back alley assault analogies aside, while I never considered them to be a high priority target, I'm not exactly sympathizing with their fate either.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Well this is an interesting turn of events! So does this mean the whole LulzSec thing was just a rouse to draw hackers out in to the open?

At first I thought that it seemed a bit unethical to blackmail someone in to working for the FBI by threatening to take them away from their kids, but I realised if the guy didn't want that to happen then he shouldn't have committed a crime in the first place. As unethical as it seems on the surface for a government agency to blackmail someone (not that it's rare mind you), when you think about it they were actually giving the guy a second chance in return for him bringing other criminals to justice.

Also, fuck LulzSec. I hated them.

Dec 14, 2009
Silvianoshei said:
Lono Shrugged said:

Guess some people missed my point. I understand the whole, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" thing. I just think that it's distasteful to come out in public with the details of how you turned an informant. Public humiliation is not synonymous with justice.

I'm not saying that they can't turn people into informants by threatening to lock them up for their crimes. I'm saying it's not such a great thing to talk about how they broke someone using their family publicly.

Bottom line: if someone is willing to help you catch the bad guys in penance for their crimes, what exactly is the point of publicizing how you persuaded them, besides humiliating them?
Because it's a deterrent?

People are less likely to pull this shit if they have kids to look after. Naming and shaming is as much about crime prevention as it is a punishment.

shadowform

Jan 5, 2009
Serves 'em right. Anonymous, for the most part, at least had a message behind what it was doing. They go after things that, in some fashion, express a desire for freedom of information and freedom of people. LulzSec was just a group of idiots out for attention.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
FamoFunk said:
What a little *****, ratting out your own people to keep yourself safe.

And playing the, "My poor Children" excuse; should of thought of that before doing it for teh lulz.
This (part 1) and this (part 2).

2. Should've thought of the children first.......

1. Being a snitch. Ugh. Just rubs me the wrong way. Yes it is 'sad' and all, but nothing changes the fact that you just committed one of biggest 'douche' moves possible. Sorry man, betraying your own like that is just something I'm not going to have sympathy for. Should've known what you were getting into before this all happened..

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Fappy said:
Good fucking riddance I say. I really love this, I'll be honest here. Say what you will about his reasons for doing it but the simple fact of the matter is that LulzSec's entire existence was based on a matter of principle, "people should secure their shit." And now at the end of the day we see their leader sacrifice his principles and betray his comrads. Hypocrisy and irony all in one delicious serving.
I really don't think it was about any principles at all but more of a "look what we can do because we are bored and have no jobs and nothing else to do" but the principles were a mask to lie to themselves and the World of why they were doing these things.

Its funny that in the logs TeamPoison dug out it was Sabu that kept on telling the others "don't tell anyone".

If he's got 2 children then what the hell was he thinking doing this shit?, instead of wasting time fucking about and stopping me from playing PSN couldn't he go out and apply for a job to care for his children?

What he "masterminded" wasn't something that took 2 minutes, looks like he spent a lot of time on this hobby, put your time to good use instead!.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
I expect Anon is going to make that guy and his families life a living hell. He brought it on himself being a government rat. And i will..as we say...Lulz.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Pluvia said:
Good. Hope the punishment hurts.

It's like the people that think Anonymous is a big organisation, I highly doubt they're anywhere near as big as people think. It's even worse that Anon demand transparency despite being a faceless group of people who refuse to take responsability for their actions.

Anyway this is good to hear, this guy was an idiot for doing the hacking in the first place, especially as he had 2 kids, but at least he helped catch the others and will most likely be excused for that.
I think you're mistaking LuLzSec for Anonymous.

Second, Anon is pretty damn transparent. Yes, the people within it are Anonymous, but that structure actually ensures that they maintain some amount of transparency, which is more than I can say for the US Govt or any Govt for that matter.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Silvianoshei said:
Lono Shrugged said:

Because we don't use stockades any more. ANY person who commits a crime is on public record committing that crime. They sometimes list minor crimes in the newspaper.

I'm not saying I totally agree but this is no surprise, especially if you are any way familiar with the F.B.I and how they operate. It's not about fair it's about nailing criminals and I can respect that. Especially if your hands are not clean anyway.

To me the whole kids thing is him just justifying burning his buddies to himself. It rings a little more noble than "I don't want to be shanked in the showers" I have no sympathy for this guy. I feel sorry for his kids but mostly because their Dad is a fucking asshole