Lyrics or quotes that make you cringe.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Any quote where a group, normally a fairly right-on one, has made up an argument for their opponent that they can refute. It's intellectually dishonest.

That oft-repeated truism about pro lifers being hypocrites for supporting the death penalty. Firstly there's no guarantee they do, secondly the death penalty for a crime isn't the equivalent of an abortion.

That one about Thor having a hammer and Jesus being nailed to a tree, basically anything that mocks Christians but wouldn't mock any other religion. Don't take advantage of their good natured tolerance.

Lyrics: System of a Down - Lonely Day

Such a lonely day
And it's mine
The most loneliest day of my life

Such a lonely day
Should be banned
It's a day that I can't stand

Such a lonely day
Shouldn't exist
It's a day that I'll never miss

Such a lonely day
And it's mine

And if you go, I wanna go with you
And if you die, I wanna die with you
Take your hand and walk away

Such a lonely day
And it's mine
It's a day that I'm glad I survived

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
EeveeElectro said:
A lot of Bruno Mars songs make me cringe.
Obligatory Rob Pavarovian reference:

Yeah, his songs are horrible, though. I honestly think most people don't listen to his lyrics.

He manages to insult and attempt to compliment women at the same time...
You mean, like most pop music?

If I ever heard that in the bedroom, I'd smother them.
Them? There's more than one Bruno Mars? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Anyway, most Ke$ha songs. You know how it's common to write by committee? I think her committee is a series of monkeys throwing darts into dictionaries.

This song lyric makes me cringe AND laugh:

Don't you fight it girl it's only natural
Can't disguise what's in your eyes they say too much
Don't deny that when we touch it's physical
Let it be, you and me, don't fight it, baby
Five, "Don't Fight It Baby."

Specifically, if it's not obvious, the "when we touch it's physical" part. What else would it be. It's also physical if you push me in front of a car!

Also, creepy stalker songs. The kind that are considered "romantic" but are usually a 40 year old guy trying to tap some jailbait ass or watching his (or her) ex from the bushes.

That reminds me. My girlfriend wanted to film me reacting to pop songs she hears on the radio. I should totally do that. Some of them are horrible.

Alexi089

Jun 26, 2011
Well, I know who Ed Byrne hates:

Anything by Jared Leto leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. For my money he's just a 40 odd year old guy who needs to wake up and realise he can't keep acting like a 17 year old with false impressions of how profound his ideas are. But he's over 40 already, so he probably won't. That and he's narcissistic with pretty derivative output. That scene in Fight Club makes it all better for me though :D.

The most recent one is maybe me being nit picky, or the artist just being a bit careless. I saw an interview with Total Guitar where Myles Kennedy describes writing a lyric describing a suicide contemplation scene as 'fun':

about 6:40 if anyone's interested. (Song is 'Lover')

I'm a big fan of Kennedy's work and chances are he just wasn't being careful with his word, but if he really did choose to write a lyric about something like that for some novelty, it seems very tacky to me.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
Lemme show you something.

"That's what makes you beautiful [to me]."

It's the one guy (well, not literally but in the lyrics) telling this one girl that she's beautiful. It's his opinion. It's not some dogmatic lecture. The singer finds this girl beautiful because she isn't aware of it. Whatever the cause of it, he finds her modesty incredibly appealing.

Having heard this song far too many times, nowhere in the lyrics does it state that her beauty, that any woman's beauty, is reliant upon her continued disbelief in her own beauty. Not only does that make little sense when you think about it, but it also implies there are strict standards of beauty which can be measured and defined. And that's just not the case.

LittleThestral

May 29, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Also, creepy stalker songs. The kind that are considered "romantic" but are usually a 40 year old guy trying to tap some jailbait ass or watching his (or her) ex from the bushes.
This. This this this. My short list:

The entirety of Neon Trees' "Your Surrender":
I got close to your skin while you were sleeping
I taste the salt on your hands
I reached out to touch you, the morning light disarms you
Won't you let me in?

Oh, how long till your surrender?
It's a long way for heartbreak
Let your heart wait and bleed
Oh, how long till your surrender to me?

I become your shadow, I'd love but don't know how to
I'm always lost for words
You look like a thousand suns, I wanna be
The only one left when your day is done

I can't have you close so I become a ghost
And I watch you, I watch you
Maybe if you stay we could die this way
I won't stop you, I won't stop you

Yeah, to me

Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me", specifically:

"If you could see that I'm the one who understands you
Been here all along, so why can't you see?
You belong with me

Standing by and waiting at your back door
All this time how could you not know?
Baby, you belong with me, you belong with me

Oh, I remember you driving to my house in the middle of the night
I'm the one who makes you laugh when you know you're 'bout to cry
And I know your favorite songs and you tell me 'bout your dreams
Think I know where you belong, think I know it's with me"

Every time I hear that song, I worry that this time, THIS TIME, it'll end with her wearing his skin.

Last of the short list, Evans Blue's "Cold", which, to be fair, seems partially aware of how insanely creepy it is, but:
Hello, I'm your martyr, will you be my gangster
can you feel my trigger hand, moving further down your back
when you hide, hide inside that body
but just remember that when I touch you
the more you shake, the more you give away

cold, but I'm still here, blind, 'cause I'm so blind, say never
we're far from comfortable this time
cold, now we're so cold, mine, and you're not mine, say never
we're far from obvious this time

wait, another minute here, time will kill us after all
now can you feel its second hand wrapped around your neck
so fall into my eyes and fall into my lies
but don't you forget
the more you turn away, the more I want you to stay

you're so endearing, you're so beautiful,
well I don't look like they do, and I don't love like they do
but I don't hate like they do
am I ever on your mind?

COLD, you broke me from the very first night
I'd love you 'til the day that I die
I'm far too comfortable this time
COLD, I loved you from the very first night
you broke me 'til the day that I die
I'm far too obvious this time

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ForumSafari said:
That oft-repeated truism about pro lifers being hypocrites for supporting the death penalty. Firstly there's no guarantee they do, secondly the death penalty for a crime isn't the equivalent of an abortion.
Nor is abortion an equivalent of murder. I guess calling it out both ways would betoo much toask. Sort of ironic, though, considering the next line:

That one about Thor having a hammer and Jesus being nailed to a tree, basically anything that mocks Christians but wouldn't mock any other religion. Don't take advantage of their good natured tolerance.
Well, you're assuming they wouldn't. Personally, I think all religions are pretty ridiculous. Though I tend not to mock unless mocked first.

Also, both topical considering the "good natured" argument, I live in a nation where Christians tend to (as in, overall) support things like codifying their religion, and where anti-bullying laws are argued as specifically anti-Christian (because apparently, Christianity mandates bullying people...who knew?).

Those make me cringe to no end.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Sort of ironic
Only if you assume that I'm Christian or pro-life. I'm neither, I'm an atheist and I live in a grown up country with a sensible attitude to abortion, none of this 'let's split every belief on the planet into one of two piles, then pick which pile we believe unreservedly' crap. That doesn't mean I can't call retards retards when they happen to be 'on my side', a bad argument is a bad argument wherever it lies.

''He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion. The rational position for him would be suspension of judgment, and unless he contents himself with that, he is either led by authority, or adopts, like the generality of the world, the side to which he feels most inclination.

Nor is it enough that he should hear the arguments of adversaries from his own teachers, presented as they state them, and accompanied by what they offer as refutations. That is not the way to do justice to the arguments, or bring them into real contact with his own mind. He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them; who defend them in earnest, and do their very utmost for them. He must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form; he must feel the whole force of the difficulty which the true view of the subject has to encounter and dispose of; else he will never really possess himself of the portion of truth which meets and removes that difficulty.

Ninety-nine in a hundred of what are called educated men are in this condition; even of those who can argue fluently for their opinions. Their conclusion may be true, but it might be false for anything they know: they have never thrown themselves into the mental position of those who think differently from them, and considered what such persons may have to say; and consequently they do not, in any proper sense of the word, know the doctrine which they themselves profess.'

John Stuart Mill

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Any song or tv show writing that I can predict what they're going to say before they say it even if I've never seen the show or heard the song. Cliche is the crutch of the bad writer and I just utterly despise it.

FrostyChick

Little Miss Vampire.
Jul 13, 2010
Jedamethis said:
Damn, how has nobody mentioned the entirety of Blurred Lines yet? Or is that just a given. Oh god I hope it's a given.

But seriously, fuck that asshat. It's bad enough the song is a load of misogynistic crap, but for him to try claim it's some kind of feminist movement... There are not enough palms and faces to convey my feelings at this moment.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
"Put your hands in the air like you just don't care."

It would be terrible enough if it had only been used once, but it is ridiculously common.

I suspect the reason it irritates me is that the first thing I think when I hear it is "Like you just don't care about what?"

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
"beautiful like diamonds in the sky"

Not sure what song it is this sentence is from, but it annoys me to no end. The person who wrote these lyrics most likely was trying to reference the stars in the night's sky, as I have often heard that starts sparkle just like diamonds in the night's sky. However, the way this sentence is phrased, they are talking about actual diamonds in the sky and well, we all know that airborne diamonds aren't a naturally occurring phenomenon, so I have absolutely no idea what kind of image the people of this song are trying to paint here...

Maybe a bit petty, but *aaaaah* [img="http://images.wikia.com/aceattorney/images/1/12/Von_Karma_Breakdown_3.gif"]
( http://images.wikia.com/aceattorney/images/1/12/Von_Karma_Breakdown_3.gif )
Image courtesy of http://wikia.com/aceattorney

captainballsack

Feb 13, 2013
Essentially anything Cannibal Corpse. Actually, most death metal for that matter.

Oh, you're writing about death, torture and rape? Wow, talk about cool, guys.

How old are they? The lead singer is 44? Does that count as a disability?

I used to totally be into death metal and black metal and all that stuff - when I was 13. They write about absolute nonsense and then dilute their lyrics with unnecessarily large words to hide the fact that they're really not as smart and superior as they would like you to believe. Then they condescend on other forms of music, claiming that the music they make is 'real' and 'rewarding.'

Please, your music is almost entirely a facade. There are fantastic musicians and artists among you, like The Faceless or Devin Townsend, but the rest are just cheap imitations with lyrics that contain absolutely no literary value apart from 'sounding cool.' If mainstream pop is more art than fashion, then why do you guys shoot down absolutely anything that isn't Meshuggah? Why do you guys attack innovation? Why do you guys look down upon people who prefer different styles of music? Why do you all have long hair and beards? Why do you call any band that doesn't "look metal" core?

Metal elitism is the biggest joke I've ever had the pleasure to experience.

Legion said:
"Put your hands in the air like you just don't care."

It would be terrible enough if it had only been used once, but it is ridiculously common.

I suspect the reason it irritates me is that the first thing I think when I hear it is "Like you just don't care about what?"
What if you didn't even have hands? I would be so mad.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
captainballsack said:
Essentially anything Cannibal Corpse. Actually, most death metal for that matter.

Oh, you're writing about death, torture and rape? Wow, talk about cool, guys.
In fairness to Cannibal Corpse they're largely just having fun with the ridiculous lyrics and song titles. I honestly don't think they could have produced the music they have seriously and if they were that concerned about their image as a serious band they'd not have appeared in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.

I used to totally be into death metal and black metal and all that stuff - when I was 13. They write about absolute nonsense and then dilute their lyrics with unnecessarily large words - most of which are entirely archaic with modern, shorter equivalents that often convey more concise meanings - to sound intelligent.
A lot of black metal is from Norway, Sweden and other countries around there, that means they've learnt formal English as a foreign language. A lot of black metal acts don't even perform in English for most of their careers, the songs that are in English are either translations or something they've written using a Norwegian to English dictionary.

Also having fun imagining black metal bands that would hail Meshuggah as being troo kvlt. Meshuggah are djent as fuck.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
"It's not even my birthday, but he wanna lick the icing off

Give it to me in the worst way.

Can't wait to blow my candles out.

He want that cake, cake, cake, cake, cake, cake, cake, cake, cake, cake, cake, cake, cake, cake, cake.

(Don't you wanna put your name on it?)"

I have often chosen Birthday Cake as a song I really, really despise but every time I hear the song that part just makes me cringe. The lyrics as a whole are just terrible.

Oh and there's also Lady Gaga's "Applause":

"Pop culture was in art now art in pop culture in me"

I like "Applause", it's my favourite song in the Top 10 on Billboard right now but that line is just a little too arrogant. When Gaga is in love with herself I don't mind but to actually claim that art and pop culture are her is crossing some line. It's also a shame because earlier in the song there's the line "If only fame had an IV baby could I bear being away from you? I found a vein put it in here" which shows appreciation for being known rather than being cocky about it.

captainballsack

Feb 13, 2013
ForumSafari said:
A lot of black metal is from Norway, Sweden and other countries around there, that means they've learnt formal English as a foreign language. A lot of black metal acts don't even perform in English for most of their careers, the songs that are in English are either translations or something they've written using a Norwegian to English dictionary.
Still doesn't change the fact that it is mostly American death metal bands doing it. Black Metal is somewhat forgivable, given the whole archaic aesthetic of it all anyway.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
The wanted: walks like rihanna.

"She cant sing, she cant dance but she walks like rihanna"

What does this even mean. Does rihanna have some sort of distinctive walk or something

Comedian kevin bridges sums it up better than i can

rorychief

Mar 1, 2013
Ugh this one.

"Happy Birthday" - telling the audience how they ought to feel, shaming those who don't prescribe to the narrow range of emotions allowed by societies ignorance. (fascist)

"To You"- implying the singer is giving a command, and the receiver is obliged to be grateful for having been made the subject of the sentiment and therefore 'owes them'. (classsic friendzone mentality)

"Happy birthday"- It's almost like the singer isn't even aware that in many parts of the world childbirth is incredibly dangerous for both mother and child,that or they don't care and think infant mortality is just a big joke. (Insensitive to those for whom birthdays are never happy)

"To You" Not for you, not with you but TO YOU! that's...that's...something? (Running out of stuff to be indignant about here)

"Happy birthday dear _" leaving the name blank to be filled in with any particular name the singer wishes to address the song to at any given time. This song isn't even about you, it's about anyone. A cheap, one size fits all empty platitude churned out by a cynical sycophant who offers only the barest semblance of sentimentality when in reality you're nothing but a faceless, disposable consumer to them, mewling for attention that only they can provide (Hey this is easy again)

"Happy birthday to you" In some countries, POOR ONES, their language makes it so personal pronouns like 'you' are gender specific, (way to reinforce something something King Callous, patriarch of infinite apathy)