M1911A1 or a new gaming PC?

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
Which one has the more prohibitive use, both need time. But the 1911 needs ammo, and range time if you are not lucky enough to have access to private land, your own or friend's or family's.

Worst case scenarios: buy games at full price, lets average it out to $40 combining new and old/cheaper titles, vs a box of ammo from Cabela's which seems to hover around $20 for a box of 50. Raw price the gun seems like the better deal, though if 50 for a day of shooting is not enough for you, then that keeps creeping up. Also a game is reusable, and bullets are not. Well not unless you cheapen the price by hand-loading but that is a deep enthusiasts pursuit with a crap ton of upfront. The gun equivalent of building a mega pc, price and effort in one.

I was in the same boat considering buying a gun over upgrading my pc. My personal situation is that time and ammo and range costs will add up to be unsustainable, and my other laptop being old I wanted to keep up with new games and playing with my friends. Though if you have already narrowed down the 1911 and maybe see a deal, go for it. It will also last more that 5 years, which is what my last high mid pc was able to keep up with in terms of gaming.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Buy the gun, rob a bank, buy a better PC than you had intended originally.

Or

Buy the PC, hack a bank, buy a tank

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
To answer some people's questions, yes, I technically already have a gun. A Glock to be specific. But I'm selling that and was gonna get a 1911 instead. But then I thought how outdated my laptop is and how tired I was of not being able to run most modern games.

Don't get me wrong. The laptop I have is probably the BEST PC for any sort of legacy gaming. But regardless, it's just simply too damn old for the new stuff.

Buying the PC though and not a weapon will leave me without any firepower whatsoever until I finally buy a weapon again. (And who knows how long that's gonna be.) But buying the 1911 will mean I'll have to sit in the Dark Ages for longer. I mean, it's great down here, but one wants a change.

As to what the hell I'm gonna use an M1911 for, I plan it to be a workhorse gun. For both target practice and self-defense. I also wanna conceal carry it in the future so just in case some sick fucking asshole decides he's gonna go on a shooting near me, I can actually save lives. And also, I highly appreciate the M1911 from an aesthetic perspective. Hands down one of the more beautiful pieces of engineering I've seen.

And finally, why I asked you guys. Games aren't someone's whole personality. Just because they post on a gaming website doesn't automatically mean they're a nerdy shut-in who's never fired a weapon before.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I'd say that the 1911A1 would be better from a practical standpoint. With technological advancements your gaming PC might lose power/become borderline obsolete in only a handful of years. Whereas with the gun, provided we don't suddenly get laser/blaster/phaser/plasma weapons anytime this century, you won't have to worry about upgrades suddenly making it obsolete. Plus with proper maintenance and care the gun can probably has a much, much longer lifespan.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Wintermute said:
I don't understand guns and their appeal either.
All I know is that they are (or can be) shiny, and make loud noises.

OT; Get a PC. Then you can play games with the guns you like in them.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I'd get the PC but I don't see any use for the gun, don't get me wrong I'm sure it'll be fun to use but your likely to use it less than the computer, though then again I'm from a third world country so the sheer idea of wasting money on a gun for it to be used for target practice every now and then sounds absolutely ridiculous and when you've been caught in shoot-outs they seem a lot less fun and a lot more dangerous, so, to be honest, I'm biased against the gun.

EDIT: Woah my first warning since like 2010 or something, impressive in any case perhaps my language was strong, but that line of thinking is irresponsible and dangerous, I can understand wanting to own a gun for personal protection, but for a shoot-out? Well you've clearly never been to one so like I said you are just likely to cause more trouble, and worse yet if you turn out to be one of those people that go into a catatonic state when they panic you could simply be providing more firearms to the shooters, but like I said more bullets just increase the risk of collateral damage and let me tell you, I've never in my life killed anyone but once when I was 13 I almost did and just thinking about it still makes me feel like shit, so you could wind up really bad if you did that to an innocent person by accident, because I almost killed some drug dealing scum and I assure that feels positively awful and he was neither killed or innocent.

Anyway, I've said my piece I don't care about the gun I care about your irresponsible way of thinking and the fact that people like that probably shouldn't be allowed to have guns.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ehh, the gun would be a fun 'toy' but really how often would you get to use it? Plus if you are a regular shooter, the cost of ammo can really add up, granted the cost of games can add up too but there are enough free games on steam to have years of fun without spending any cash on games.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
To answer some people's questions, yes, I technically already have a gun. A Glock to be specific. But I'm selling that and was gonna get a 1911 instead.
Out of interest, why sell the Glock to get a 1911?

Oh, and have you had qualified instruction on handgun use?

Arnoxthe1 said:
I also wanna conceal carry it in the future so just in case some sick fucking asshole decides he's gonna go on a shooting near me, I can actually save lives.
Yeah...that's not a great mindset, you aren't an action hero.

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
Considering this isn't the movies, there's no point in buying a gun for self-defense because there's only a 0,01% chance you will use it, and a higher chance that you will just end up hurting yourself or someone else, either trying to be the hero or just by being drunk or something. Buy the PC instead because it will actually serve a purpose.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Arnoxthe1 said:
And finally, why I asked you guys. Games aren't someone's whole personality. Just because they post on a gaming website doesn't automatically mean they're a nerdy shut-in who's never fired a weapon before.
Thing is though, a lot of the userbase aren't really fans of firearms. For the rest of the post, I'd definitely say the 1911 then. Plenty of games out there that you haven't played that you'd love and would hold you until you get a solid PC.
Thaluikhain said:
Out of interest, why sell the Glock to get a 1911?
Probably wants to keep his hands The 1911 is a sexy firearm.
Better than nothing certainly.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
Ya know, I keep seeing the argument "I don't see any use in owning a gun" come up, and I just want to say I don't understand this point of view. Are you people telling me that everything you own is 100% practical? You've never bought a leisure item that you enjoy? Listen, guns can be a great hobby. Target shooting is a lot of fun. Honing your skills and getting better at it is a fun pass time. There is also hunting which can be a great time. While not relevant to handguns, shooting skeet and trap with a shotgun is some of the most fun I've had. I go out and do that every so often.

Now I will admit that I don't buy into the whole hero mind set of using your gun to stop a shoot out or something. For 99% of us that is pure fantasy. Now owning a gun as a home defense item, not a completely bad idea. In that regard I view the gun in a similar way to a fire extinguisher. It is something you hope you never have to use, but you'll likely be thankful you had it should the need arise.

To use a little comparison, owning a gun is honestly not much different from owning a a game console. A PS4 or Xbox or whatever serves little practical purpose beyond being an entertainment box. In many cases we own things because we get enjoyment out of them. Now I'm not saying anyone needs to change their mind and suddenly start loving guns. If you don't like em, that is perfectly fine. You are entitled to your opinion, but to claim there is literally no reason to own one is dumb. I'm quite certain everyone here owns something they don't need, but happen to find a degree of enjoyment from owning and using.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Randomosity said:
Ya know, I keep seeing the argument "I don't see any use in owning a gun" come up, and I just want to say I don't understand this point of view. Are you people telling me that everything you own is 100% practical? You've never bought a leisure item that you enjoy? Listen, guns can be a great hobby. Target shooting is a lot of fun. Honing your skills and getting better at it is a fun pass time. There is also hunting which can be a great time. While not relevant to handguns, shooting skeet and trap with a shotgun is some of the most fun I've had. I go out and do that every so often.
I can't speak for others (there are clearly people who feel more strongly in the thread about gun ownership than I do) but I gave that line to let the OP know my line of thinking.

It's like my golf clubs; if I said "What should I buy, a gaming PC or a new set of clubs?", someone who doesn't golf is going to wonder why in the world I would consider dropping 4 figures on a set of funny shaped sticks. If a bunch of people said "Buy the PC" but none of them were interested in golf period, I'd want to know that when taking their advice.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Buy the gun, though I'd personally go with a different gun than the M1911 or having a separate gun for CC or self defense. Don't get me wrong, I love my own, but it's expensive to shoot and a bit inconvenient to carry around.

But god damn, even if the .45 is expensive it's a lot of fun to shoot.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Leg End said:
Better than nothing certainly.[/quote]

More likely it is the other way around. If someone who isn't used to handling a weapon under extreme pressure tries to do it in a live firefight they are more likely to hurt a bystander then the actual criminal that they want to stop. If someone tries to be a hero in a shoot out, they are more likely to get innocent people and themselves hurt or killed. This morbid fascination of having a gun to save the day that's prevalent in some gun owner circles in the USA is actively dangerous to the people around them because no matter how much you practice "tactical shooting" or how efficient you are at shooting deer or duck, it can never prepare you for an actual firefight.

Think about how many shootings have been in public areas in the USA the last decade, despite prevalent concealed carry laws. Now think about how many of them were stopped by a heroic bystander pulling their concealed (or open carried) firearm and taking the criminal shooters out. That'd be about zero, no? People who carried guns in the vicinity of these shootings have come forward afterwards. It turns out that when the shooting started they either got scared, fumbled too much or simply didn't know what to do. Which is still better then being rash and getting someone else killed.

My take? If you badly want a 1911 and think you'd get more out of it then a computer, go for it. Personally, I'd settle for a gun with a smaller, less expensive caliber of bullets, so that I could get more shooting done with it. But I also understand the attraction that some guns have.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
Do you already own a gun? Do you just want the gun to own the gun? If you answer these questions with yes, I would definitely say don't buy the gun.
Do you want it to protect yourself in case someone breaks into your home? Then get better locks/doors/windows, most will give up if it takes to long to get inside (at least in my country, not sure how it is in other countries).

In my opinion a gun is unnecessary and I don't understand how someone can ask the question.

Final advice, if you have a credit card debt, try to pay it off with your money. That would be comparable to investing the money somewhere with, I think, 10 or more % interest

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Arnoxthe1 said:
I have around $700 to spend. Now, I could get a sexy Springfield Mil-Spec M1911, which I've wanted for a very long time, or I could go the more practical route and get a mid-range gaming PC and join the modern world. What do you guys think?
Get the .45 now, since that's a pretty good price.

Get the PC through financing on either Amazon or Newegg. Paypal also has a credit system.

All of the above options offer at least 6 months to pay without interest, then ya get hit with whatever has accrued over that time...so, yeah. Effectively 0 if you have the sense to manage it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Arnoxthe1 said:
I also wanna conceal carry it in the future so just in case some sick fucking asshole decides he's gonna go on a shooting near me, I can actually save lives.
I want you to envision two scenarios.

1: A shooting happens near you; you draw your weapon and approach the scene. Police arrive, see you, think "concerned citizen" and politely ask you to holster your weapon and leave the scene.

2: A shooting happens near you; you draw your weapon and approach the scene. Police arrive, see you, think "armed perp" and shoot you to death on the spot.

Which seems more likely in this day and age? Anyone who carries a concealed firearm needs to understand all possible ramifications.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Kaleion said:
I'd get the PC but I don't see any use for the gun, don't get me wrong I'm sure it'll be fun to use but your likely to use it less than the computer, though then again I'm from a third world country so the sheer idea of wasting money on a gun for it to be used for target practice every now and then sounds absolutely ridiculous and when you've been caught in shoot-outs they seem a lot less fun and a lot more dangerous, so, to be honest, I'm biased against the gun.

EDIT: Woah my first warning since like 2010 or something, impressive in any case perhaps my language was strong, but that line of thinking is irresponsible and dangerous, I can understand wanting to own a gun for personal protection, but for a shoot-out? Well you've clearly never been to one so like I said you are just likely to cause more trouble, and worse yet if you turn out to be one of those people that go into a catatonic state when they panic you could simply be providing more firearms to the shooters, but like I said more bullets just increase the risk of collateral damage and let me tell you, I've never in my life killed anyone but once when I was 13 I almost did and just thinking about it still makes me feel like shit, so you could wind up really bad if you did that to an innocent person by accident, because I almost killed some drug dealing scum and I assure that feels positively awful and he was neither killed or innocent.

Anyway, I've said my piece I don't care about the gun I care about your irresponsible way of thinking and the fact that people like that probably shouldn't be allowed to have guns.
Thaluikhain said:
Oh, and have you had qualified instruction on handgun use?

OK, so I think I need to explain myself better. It's very understandable that some might think I just wanna be Captain America here. And there are indeed some people like that. They'll carry a gun because they think it'll make them invincible. They think it's not a HUGE responsibility and even a liability in some cases. I understand that. I also understand collateral damage and the tendency for some bullets to overpenetrate and hit innocent bystanders. I understand that I probably (and hopefully) will never have to use my weapon. And I understand that police might take me as suspicious or even think that I might be the shooter in a dangerous situation.

I understand that concealed carrying means that the weapon needs to be hidden at ALL times for obvious reasons and it should only be used on an EMERGENCY basis. NEVER for my own personal gratification. I understand that one needs to practice with their chosen weapon so they can be proficient enough with it to actually be of use in an emergency situation and to not accidentally shoot themselves or someone else. I understand that people who conceal carry must be on the level at all times. They do not anymore have the freedom to provoke confrontations or be sloppy in their dealings with people. That despite whatever a person may say or do to provoke, the responsibility is now PURELY on you to walk away, now matter how mad you feel or how unjustified it all is.

I'm sorry if I came off as some idiot who's trying to be tacticool. And I totally get that the avatar and badges don't exactly help my case right now. But I do understand all this and I accept these responsibilities and the things that I must keep in mind. I'm taking this decision to conceal carry VERY seriously.

As to why... I'm not one of those people who can just sit around and watch horrible things be done before my eyes. Especially to other people. And if having the ability to protect not just myself but other people means that I must carry a lot more responsibility and liability than most others then so be it. I accept it. Better I go through this than another person get away with murdering and/or torturing who knows how many people just because they have a firearm and others do not.

And BTW, there have actually been COUNTLESS situations where people who conceal carry have stopped crimes dead in their tracks. (no pun intended) See for yourself: http://crimeresearch.org/2016/09/uber-driver-in-chicago-stops-mass-public-shooting/ (There's a lot more than one story in there despite the URL. I believe they're now using that page to post any such related stories they find.)

And no, not everyone who conceal carries is fit for it. But some are. And they DO save lives.