Mad Science Meals

cdfgku

Jan 2, 2015
Calling all Escapist Chefs!

Recently I have been experimenting with food with the aim of making more fun or weird meals. This all started because I was curious how people would react to blue paella and it has ended up with me wanting to create a whole meal in the style of a mad scientist.

The aim is to produce a 3 course meal that looks like a science experiment but tastes delicious. The more vivid the colour the better.

The ideas I've got so far are probably the fairly obvious ones:

Multi-coloured shooters in test tubes.
Brightly coloured cocktails served in beakers.
Multi-coloured jelly with things like jelly snakes in them served in Petri Dishes.
A cake in the shape of a brain that bleeds when cut.

However, that is just drinks and desserts and I need something a bit more wholesome.

So does anyone have any suggestions? The only criteria is make it as weird looking as you can, but try not to make it too complex as I have a very small kitchen.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'm afraid that actual mad science-y food may be a hard sell for me volunteer. The best thing I can think of is a brain jello mold which a friend of mine did for Narbonicon (The gathering of mad science comic-reading folks, especially those who read Narbonic). I suppose the next logical step is to continue with body part substances. Beyond that, not sure.

Tatsuki

Nov 9, 2014
Now in my head I want to see you create a double helix out of chips and meatballs.

Practical? No
Awesome? Yes.

Any ideas I can think of now are pretty much all a case of Heston did it first, so I would at least suggest watching his fantastical feast shows.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/hestons-fantastical-food

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Get several packets of sausages. Make sure they're strung together like so [http://stockarch.com/files/13/09/sausage_string.jpg].

Unroll the sausages so that each packet becomes one giant sausage.

Combine the sausages together to look somewhat like a brain.[footnote]Or alternatively, upper intestines.[/footnote] Possibly put something like a leg of beef/lamb in the middle to help it keep shape easier.

Cook in the oven. Make sure it is cooked long enough for the middle to be cooked through.

Please note that I made this idea up in the past five minutes, have never attempted it before and expect it to go wrong in several ways.

sanamia

Jul 6, 2013
Brain in a glass:

2 peach schnapps
2 tsp Baileys Irish cream
4 drops grenadine syrup

Pour the peach schnapps into a shot glass.
Slowly add the Baileys, add it super slow, you have to let it 'curdle' to get the brain look. (I use a syringe)
Top with the grenadine.
Optional extra disgusting: few drops of blue Curacao

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
...Oh, I thought you meant literally making food with mad science, and I was all set up to talk about the formula I derived from the diffusion equation to determine exactly how long to cook a given type of food on a stovetop.

Maybe you could try making popcorn with a laser or a refractive lens?

cdfgku

Jan 2, 2015
Thanks very much for all the suggestions, folks. Loving the ideas.

I'll also be spending my time watching Heston and see what inspiration I can get.

P.s Had never heard of Balut before. As much as I like duck, that is a whole other level!

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Ah! I've given this some thought as well. Get ground beef and really grind the hell out of it until you can shape it like clay. Sculpt the meat to look like things: fish, fruit, electrical appliances.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
How about offal of some kind? You can give people an in-depth biology lesson whilst you serve them. I'm aware that people can be pretty squeamish, but they're just little bitches- there's nothing wrong with some nice entrails!

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Brain Jello, anyone?

Unfortunately, the most obvious 'mad science'-like foods tend to be...well, drinks and sweets. Which means that a lot of what's going to sell the event is the surrounding décor. With that in place, more mundane foods take on a somewhat different meaning. Ribs or a rack of lamb might play off the decorations fairly well, for instance, despite not looking weird. Or perhaps spaghetti with meat sauce. Calamari could work if it's available and in your price range.

Sadly, most of the weird looking foods I know of...well...let's just say that fried spiders are on the list.