Madden 25 Scrubs Aaron Hernandez From Existence

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
revjor said:
To all the people complaining about innocent until proven guilty, ignore the murder charges. He was found with illegal firearms in his home. His five gun charges have maximum sentences of 10 years, 10 years, 5 years, 2 years and 2 years and IIRC Massachusetts will give you one year mandatory on a gun charge. If the judge is feeling frisky he can have the sentences be served consecutively which would be 1-5 years. MINIMUM. Unless Hernandez ressurects Johnnie Cochran he is going to prison. The notions of guilt on the murder charges are irrelevant to his career and endorsements at this point.
Didn't Plaxico Burress have an illegal gun on him that he shot himself in the leg with? I don't remember the NFL going to this length for his case. In case you're wondering, he's currently playing on the Steelers.

Speaking of Steelers, Roethlisberger was looking at a rape charge and none of this happened. Ray Lewis was staring a fucking murder charge and none of this happened. He also settled out of court with the families for likely big money and was convicted of a lesser crime, obstruction of justice.

Before I come off the wrong way, I'd like to state that by no means am I on his side. Everything Hernandez did after the murder has looked like a pretty huge effort to destroy evidence.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
They didn't want the backlash that the New York Giants and the Baltimore Ravens received in similar circumstances. New England has a stricter player policy than most, and the advertise themselves as family friendly. If it were a drug suspension or a similar offense, they might have just suspended him. But when he was dragged out by the cops for murder, there was no turning back.
I understand that. I also understand that sports teams have to take their image extremely seriously. I mean, where does a lot their money come from? Advertisers, sponsors, merchandisers and the like. No image, no revenue. That's fine. I still don't think this is justice. But I have no experience with your legal system. Sports stars are treated like gods in this country too, but they generally haven't had a history of abusing the courts.

Out of curiosity, there have been a number of rape allegations in american football. What generally happens surrounding those?

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Depends on what happens and where it happens. If it's one person in a small town, it likely gets buried and the women suffers for the rest of her life. If it's a big athlete... nothing happens, but she gets a nice pay day. If it's a big athlete and evidence is forced into the light (Stuebenville rape case with evidence forced into the light by Anon), actual judicial system takes over. It's a sad state of affairs, honestly.
Hmmm, it sounds like nasty business. I only really know of the Stuebenville case, and this feller http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Roethlisberger#Sexual_assault_allegations.

Although I see that he was in fact suspended.

To be honest, with a huge amount of money on the line, I would have been tempted to kick the guy off the team as well. Hernandez, that is.

I suppose the only real trouble is if the guy turns out to be innocent. It's not a perfect system by any means. The immediate ejection, or the manipulation of justice by money. But anyway, thanks for the chat. It's been good.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
WouldYouKindly said:
revjor said:
To all the people complaining about innocent until proven guilty, ignore the murder charges. He was found with illegal firearms in his home. His five gun charges have maximum sentences of 10 years, 10 years, 5 years, 2 years and 2 years and IIRC Massachusetts will give you one year mandatory on a gun charge. If the judge is feeling frisky he can have the sentences be served consecutively which would be 1-5 years. MINIMUM. Unless Hernandez ressurects Johnnie Cochran he is going to prison. The notions of guilt on the murder charges are irrelevant to his career and endorsements at this point.
Didn't Plaxico Burress have an illegal gun on him that he shot himself in the leg with? I don't remember the NFL going to this length for his case. In case you're wondering, he's currently playing on the Steelers.

Speaking of Steelers, Roethlisberger was looking at a rape charge and none of this happened. Ray Lewis was staring a fucking murder charge and none of this happened. He also settled out of court with the families for likely big money and was convicted of a lesser crime, obstruction of justice.

Before I come off the wrong way, I'd like to state that by no means am I on his side. Everything Hernandez did after the murder has looked like a pretty huge effort to destroy evidence.
The NFL isn't going to any lengths. It's the Patriots organization.

Plaxico was suspended without pay for the rest of the season, had to file a grievance with the NFLPA for his signing bonus and was cut by the Giants before trial. He also wasn't in the editions of Madden that came out when he was in prison. He served his time and got re-hired. Also his crime was paired with turning himself into swiss cheese so there was a comedic element to it that the public laughed at. At his worst he was viewed as a moron but not a murderer.

Roethlisberger was accused but never arrested or charged with rape but was still suspended 6 games(reduced to 4 games) for conduct detrimental to the league and lost an endorsement with PLB Sports.

Ray Lewis received at the time the largest fine ever levied for a non substance abuse related incident and served probation for a year. His trial was also in April of the offseason so they had the time to wait until it was done to see if he was found innocent. But you can be damn sure that if he was found guilty things would have been different. Hell, over a decade later and people still call him a murderer in public.

Whereas with Hernandez, he is arrested during the time training camps start, will take up a precious roster spot and the day he was arrested and cut was the day he received 5 gun charges that were in HIS house. It will be a Christmas, Hanukkah AND Kwanza miracle if Hernandez doesn't receive jail time on his gun charges and he's being treated as such.

The REAAAALLY big difference though is how much more pervasive the internet media is now compared to Plax and Ray's cases. But Big Ben definitely got slammed in the media and was suspended because of it.

jetriot

Sep 9, 2011
He shouldn't have been in the NFL in the first place. His membership with the Bloods and association with high level leadership in the violent gang should have prevented him from ever playing the sport. It certainly would have prevented him from being employed in any other line of work that wasn't flipping hamburgers.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Clive Howlitzer said:
Most of the evidence points to him being guilty. However, I still find it hilarious how everyone is treating him like he is guilty when he hasn't been proven yet. It'd be pretty funny if something came out and it turned out he was completely innocent. Boy will everyone's faces be red! Of course, even not guilty, he is still a goon.
RedDeadFred said:
J Tyran said:
Disgusting how hes being treated as guilty by his employers before he has even had his trial.
From what I've seen, the evidence is pretty damning. But you're right, this isn't justice. Heck, even if he somehow is proven innocent or the case gets thrown out on a technicality (does that actually happen with murders?), a large percentage of the public will still have made up their minds about him being guilty. I doubt he'd get his job back. He'd probably have to go into one of those new life programs like Casey Anthony so that he doesn't get shot. That's of course assuming that he gets off and it's looking extremely unlikely.
NFL PLAYER CONDUCT CLAUSE.

If a player is arrested in a way that reflects badly on the NFL, they can be terminated. No conviction is needed because of the American judicial system. If they had to wait till conviction, players in the NFL would never be punished for anything because they have the money to have the lawyers delay proceedings as long as possible.
Yeah I already knew about that. I wasn't referring to the Patriots cutting him and all that. I was mostly referring to average people, and not just in this case but all cases where a suspect is in custody.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
The clause was instated by Commissioner Roger Goodell because NFL players were constantly getting arrested and using their money to avoid punishment. The league was losing fans, who were tired of watching that kind of BS. It was an imperfect solution to an imperfect problem: that people with a lot of money are not held to the same standards as the rest of the people in the United States.
If the problem is that these people were earning too much money to face actual justice, why not simply pay them less? That seems a bit sounder a solution than putting a rather vicious clause in all of their contracts.

OT: I'll wait until the trial is over before I say anything. Sadly, the media trial seems to have already been concluded. May justice be served.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
Question!: i dont really follow NFL/ American football news, largely due to being British and I don't consider it a real sport (<---this is a joke, i just find it boring) but surely given the accusation he has been removed from his team, and it is entirely reasonable for him to not be featured in Madden as he is no longer a player?

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Try telling unionized employees they are going to be making drastically less even while the company has record profits. See how well that works for you.
It wouldn't go well certainly, partly because of human greed and all that. Part of the problem is that it's such an absurdly profitable industry. Even if you cut salaries all around, there's just a ton of money floating around and everyone is going to want a cut. Could people perhaps be convinced to take cuts to salaries in exchange for the removal of the release clause and that what would be their money goes to some kind of charity/research foundation?

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
The league already donates a huge amount to Injury Research and Prevention and Concussion studies. In a perfect world, that would be a solution.

Problem is that no one wants to take that pay cut. Not while owners pocket 40% of everything. Plus the players worked to this point to finance everyone who is with them, not just themselves. Several players make millions of dollars, and still go paycheck to paycheck because they feel the need to finance their families, their friends, and the friends of their families.
Ah, yes, executive pay... The great sticking point of all financial debate...

Could the contracts be negotiated to just include all relevant parties from the start? It avoids the mythos of the "Overpaid Athlete" and gets everyone financed from the get go.

I feel like I should return this conversation to the topic at hand, but I think everyone's already spoken their piece, and I prefer problems that can actually be dealt with in some way. The court system in the U.S. is self-determining, so nothing we can say on that front changes anything.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Abomination said:
debraarzn said:
There's texts, there's security footage, everything points towards him.
I guess we'll make an exception in this case. No need for a court because "everything points towards him".

Let's fire him from his job, take all his stuff, disavow him and I'll go prep the electric chair.
Um, it was I who wrote that, not debrarrzn. And also, that's not what I wrote really, you're kinda taking it out of context. What I wrote was this:
Trucken said:
OK, from what I've heard it doesn't look good for Hernandez. There's texts, there's security footage, everything points towards him. However, there doesn't seem to be any solid evidence that he did it and I really think things are getting out of hand right now. Let there be a trial first, then judge.