MAG Beta Opens to Everyone Soon

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
MAG Beta Opens to Everyone Soon

Anybody with a PS3 and an internet connection will soon be able to take part in MAG's final beta phase.

PlayStation 3 exclusive MAG has gone gold and is in the process of getting out to retailers for its release in late January. To make the wait a little easier, Sony and developer Zipper Interactive are opening up the game's beta to absolutely everyone in the world. MAG is a multiplayer FPS that has gained its fame by pitting up to 256 players against each other at once.

However, this isn't going to be a holiday gift. MAG's files can be downloaded through the PlayStation Store in North America right now, but it won't be available to play until 5:00 AM PST January 4 through 11:59 PM PST January 10. Japan can start downloading on December 25, while Europe cannot begin until January 4. All in all, the MAG beta will take up around 2 to 2.5 GB, so it wouldn't hurt to get it all set up and ready to go beforehand.

The beta will offer full access to MAG's 64-player Sabotage and 256-player Domination modes. Players are divided up into 8-player squads, with 4 squads forming a platoon, and 4 platoons forming a company. Specific players will be designated as leaders as they advance in rank, who are able to give objectives to their squads and have extra abilities such as calling in cluster bombings. MAG isn't just 128 vs 128, the game is broken up into smaller skirmishes that all work towards a common goal. It sounds like a nice change of pace from regular old Deathmatch and Capture the Flag scenarios, and is probably worth checking out, especially now that it requires no commitment at all other than a 2 GB download.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
yeah I downloaded it, cant wait for it to open up again, hopefully their will be more then what was in the last beta.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I am so glad I come to the Escapist now. If I didnt come here on a regular basis I wouldnt have found out about this. To the Playstation Store!

Hansonite

Dec 13, 2009
Took me so long to download the update and then to find out i couldn't play it because they haven't opened it yet.

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
Yipee!!! I really, REALLY hope 256 people in a match works.

Because it took me two damn HOURS to download.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
It sounds, just, uh, whoa... I have a hard time getting my head around a 128 vs 128 man match. The map would have to be ENORMOUS for it not to be insanely crowded. I mean we're talking like it'd take you like 15 minuets to get to the other side in a vehicle. And either the matches would be very long or broken up into smaller matches. Like king of the hill with 50 hills. so it'd be like 50 smaller skirmishes or one huge one. If it was one big one I guess they could put a timer and who ever controls more zones at the end wins. It seems like you would only see a small percentage of what is going on in the battle.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
It sounds, just, uh, whoa... I have a hard time getting my head around a 128 vs 128 man match. The map would have to be ENORMOUS for it not to be insanely crowded. I mean we're talking like it'd take you like 15 minuets to get to the other side in a vehicle. And either the matches would be very long or broken up into smaller matches. Like king of the hill with 50 hills. so it'd be like 50 smaller skirmishes or one huge one. If it was one big one I guess they could put a timer and who ever controls more zones at the end wins. It seems like you would only see a small percentage of what is going on in the battle.
Don't worry, it's all very well organized actually. It starts out as a regular match against people, but slowly and surely as the match progresses it turns into one hell-uv-ah clusterfuck with explosions and enemies all around you. And I mean that in the best possible way.

As for the maps, they can get annoyingly big to traverse, but if your team is properly working together you can get a parachute drop-in spawn point to make traversing the battlefield much easier.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
Captain Ninja said:
don't suppose the beta is coming to Australia? *sigh* probably not
My thoughts exactly.

I think yes, we'll probably get it with Europe. If not, I'll just download it from the NA store. Actually, I wonder if I'd be able to do that now, and play it anyway?

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
ianrocks6495 said:

It worked fine in the closed beta, but I think it was also half the size in the closed beta. We'll see what happens.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
GUYS. LISTEN.

For myself, I don't care about MAG. It does look epic, I'll admit, but you guys made a mistake. Right developer, wrong game. We need a topic on RECOIL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recoil_%28video_game%29

Okay?

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
PoisonUnagi said:
GUYS. LISTEN.

For myself, I don't care about MAG. It does look epic, I'll admit, but you guys made a mistake. Right developer, wrong game. We need a topic on RECOIL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recoil_%28video_game%29

Okay?
...uh...how about nooooo, you plonker?

OT: Looks really intresting, though I REALLY hope the game will be made in such a way that every person playing feels pumped and excited, rather than "DAMNIT, I got AA gun duty, lolwhatevs, I'm ragequitting"

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
ianrocks6495 said:

If it does work...it shall be so awesome!

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
Onmi said:
Captain Ninja said:
FROGGEman2 said:
Captain Ninja said:
My thoughts exactly.

I think yes, we'll probably get it with Europe. If not, I'll just download it from the NA store. Actually, I wonder if I'd be able to do that now, and play it anyway?
as an aussie I'm telling you now just DL it from the American store

EDIT: Also we should start a clan and organize right now, then we can work together as a cohesive unit. And maybe I wont DIE in the first 5 minutes... ah who am I kidding?
Ok then. Going to DL it from the American store when i connect to the net, next time i am on my PS3. Seriously, i am so glad i bought it on Sunday now, from this information, cause this game looks to be sweet. And, let me get a Bluetooth headset, and ill join that clan. I want to co-ordinate attacks with my team rather than go one vs Heaps like i do with other FPS's cause my teammates are lacking sense in the common region.