MAG Could Have Even More Than 256 Concurrent Players

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Shru1kan said:
I find it hard to imagine that this game would be totally maxed out on a server. Good idea on paper, lets see some realistic execution.
Fire up the ps3 and download the beta it will begin again January 4th. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/12/mag-is-gold-beta-for-everyone-soon/

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Considering I can't even get three other people to cooperate with me in L4D2, I doubt this game will fare any better.

My anticipation for this title is waning.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
Has anything more been revealed about this game, i won't be sold on this unless i know this is not just some shitte game that supports a gazillion players.
there was a couple month beta and the 256 people games had no lag. another beta starts in january and its opened to everyone. so just go to the psn store tomarrow download the beta and wait till january 4th to try it.

Shru1kan

Dec 10, 2009
midpipps said:
Shru1kan said:
I find it hard to imagine that this game would be totally maxed out on a server. Good idea on paper, lets see some realistic execution.
Fire up the ps3 and download the beta it will begin again January 4th. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/12/mag-is-gold-beta-for-everyone-soon/
If only I had a PS3 to fire up. I'm planning on buying one around spring break.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Even so, I can't help but imagine the lag. Not only the strain on the PS3's processor, but the internet as well.

But I'll be interested to see how it all pans out.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I still have a problem with the main outcome of the concept. In order to be a high rank you'll have to play alot.

I shudder at the thought of being ordered around by some 12 year old with no life.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Kalezian said:
Doug said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Oh snap, here we go...

I'm very interested in this game, but at the same time judging from the beta can they really say "we could have put more, but didn't due to balance issues"? Haven't Battlefield games done that many players (serious question) though I imagine not officially?

Either way, 256 is a good enough number, and if the game is better than the beta (which it should be) then good times.
Greg Tito said:
and it's a little more PC-like from a development standpoint, so I like that,"
Is that the opposite of what other developers have said about the PS3 though? That the 360 was more PC like?
No, at least, not that I'm aware of. 64 is the max number of players in the PC battlefield games (I have the console one as well, but I can't remember how many people there are). I think that "Armed Assault" could support 256, but to be honest, I didn't buy it so can't be sure (the demo pretty much showed it was an Operation Flashpoint clone, which whilst good, still had the crappy interface)

I'll be interested to see if this works - if they manage to make this work without huge lag problems, I might have to consider getting a PS3, heh.

first, Armed Assault is the spiritual sucessor to Operation Flashpoint, since the developer and publisher split.

second, this game will have lag problems, every game has lag problems, but being able to say you have 255 other players in the same game with you does say something. The only reason I wouldnt get this game is if it kicked you in the balls every five minutes and threw your ps3 out onto the street.
when I played in the 256 people games I had no lag ;P

The Ruiner

Aug 18, 2008
I have to agree that 256 players sounds wonderful... on paper. My problem with a MMO type game on the PS3 is that from what I have experienced with my system their online service is unreliable at best. I thought it was strictly on my end but I was rather surprised to hear similar stories from most people I have talked to who own one as well. The other problem is that Zipper seems to be relying strictly on the amount of players that will be in these battles, while the ingredients that actually make a strong/fun/entertaining game look extremely weak. Don't get me wrong I realize I have only played the beta, and not the final product. However, solid frame rate, and 256 players doesn't make a "great" game.

Arikuza

Apr 21, 2009
This game is great in concept.
The only thing that will make it great is player cooperation to actually complete objectives.
What we need is a clan.
But imagine, 100+ people in a clan.

How about an Escapist Magazine clan ;D

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Greg Tito said:
set in 2025, when national armies are banned which leads to the rise of private military companies.
This alone makes me eerie... Clearly the "writing" part was, again, handled during someone's lunchbreak or as some designer's kid's third grade homework assignment...

It's a completely impossible situation. First of all it's impossible from the standpoint that if nations were civilized enough to peacefully accept a national army ban, they wouldn't need a ban to begin with. Second of all, how the fuck would you enforce an army ban? What if a country suddenly went "fuck all of you with a rake, we like our army"? What do you do to stop them? Send them disappointed e-mails, with potential escalation to angry letters? Challenge them to a thumb war?

An army is one of those things a country simply can't NOT have... Even if it's a minor and mostly inactive one. It's like asking all the countries with nuclear bombs to destroy them... They won't. The moment one side gets rid of theirs they're at the complete mercy of the other side, dependent on them not being assholes and using their weapons for leverage. And if humans are something it's opportunistic assholes.

BUT THEN, pièce de résistance, they mention private companies have armies... What the fuck? So countries just up and decided "Yes, we're better off in the hands of people with their own independent personal agenda", "Oh wait, we're MUCH better off in the hands of the same kind of people who'd murder their own grandmother with a plastic bag for money". So whatever entity ended up banning national armies is ok with private organizations having their own military forces?

The story so far is a complete shameful and nonsensical piece of junk, it would be better if it wasn't there at all... As far as gameplay goes, while the prospect of 256 online players in huge scenarios seems quite interesting I have to pose the question in the back of any online "veteran" at this point: It's hard enough to find decent 32-36 man servers in most games... How's 256 gonna hold up?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Onmi said:
Arikuza said:
The only thing that will make it great is player cooperation to actually complete objectives.
What we need is a clan.

Depends I've already mentioned if this is a monthly fee thing it can go fuck itself but if it's not sure I'll join
for this or psn are you talking about monthly fees?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Onmi said:
Korten12 said:
Onmi said:
Arikuza said:
What we need is a clan.

Depends I've already mentioned if this is a monthly fee thing it can go fuck itself but if it's not sure I'll join
this
oh M.A.G? it has no monthly fees. all free after purchase. the only extra money you will probaly through in will be DLC if they even have any, or if it will be free.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Onmi said:
Korten12 said:
Onmi said:
Arikuza said:
What we need is a clan.

this
Well they're supposed to be coming out with a playstaion premium network that charges a monthly fee. Maybe you'll only be able to play this game on it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96983-Possible-Details-of-PSN-Premium-Membership-Leaked