Magic the Gathering Tactics Review

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
I liked Magic the Gathering but never had too many people to play it and I ran out of money to get the cards I wanted. : (

Anways... it sound awful to pay for digital cards.

Brad Calkins

May 21, 2011
It's not just MTG:T that has this problem, every game SOE has is specifically designed to be pay-2-win. You could have precognitive powers, make everyone from Ceaser to Churchill your ***** but you're still no match for a 3 year old little shit wth a rich daddy.

ran88dom99

Feb 3, 2011
Keava said:
Galad said:
care to link to one such simulator? :)
Magic: The Gathering - Forge [http://mtgrares.blogspot.com/] is probably the simplest and still most enjoyable one i've used. Nothing fancy but large library of cards, quite frequent updates and even 'campaign' mode to play through.
thanks
Im working on a list of these. The sources at the right of my list are probably more user friendly than my list.
http://www.listal.com/list/card-trading-games-esp-mtg

Brad Calkins said:
It's not just MTG:T that has this problem, every game SOE has is specifically designed to be pay-2-win. You could have precognitive powers, make everyone from Ceaser to Churchill your ***** but you're still no match for a 3 year old little shit wth a rich daddy.
Btw SOE has 3 other card + genera (tbs or tbt) games and i hope you are wrong because 2 sound pretty good. To all ppl who say the game is overpriced for 10g you get mind control. Half the spells over 100g are creatures without blue protection. 5$=50g afaig. and 2g / day for free. Except today and till 30 of may where 5$=150g afaik. Through store bought cards not credit.

Yes there are more worthy games that could have been reviewed but maybe this one just fit a few niches the reviewers have been neglecting. Like MtG fans?

Battlegrounds is real time afaik. And old maybe.
mikev7.0 said:
What they really should do is make a game online like HeroClix rules wise where the pieces stats and abilities change when attacked or pushed but not collectable so that everyone could play it. Space would no longer be a negative consideration either. There are some games that eat tables (Runebound), others eat rooms (Descent), HeroClix eats homes. This could fix that.
Several of the free and one of the pay MtG emulators imply they are good for making your own card games. There is also at least one game (OCTGEN? i don't remember which) that is currently being used to emulate a lot of boardgames. 40K especially. Go diy.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
ran88dom99 said:
Keava said:
Galad said:
care to link to one such simulator? :)
Magic: The Gathering - Forge [http://mtgrares.blogspot.com/] is probably the simplest and still most enjoyable one i've used. Nothing fancy but large library of cards, quite frequent updates and even 'campaign' mode to play through.
thanks
Im working on a list of these. The sources at the right of my list are probably more user friendly than my list.
http://www.listal.com/list/card-trading-games-esp-mtg

Brad Calkins said:
Btw SOE has 3 other card + genera (tbs or tbt) games and i hope you are wrong because 2 sound pretty good. To all ppl who say the game is overpriced for 10g you get mind control. Half the spells over 100g are creatures without blue protection. 5$=50g afaig. and 2g / day for free. Except today and till 30 of may where 5$=150g afaik. Through store bought cards not credit.

Yes there are more worthy games that could have been reviewed but maybe this one just fit a
few niches the reviewers have been neglecting. Like MtG fans?

Battlegrounds is real time afaik. And old maybe.
mikev7.0 said:
What they really should do is make a game online like HeroClix rules wise where the pieces stats and abilities change when attacked or pushed but not collectable so that everyone could play it. Space would no longer be a negative consideration either. There are some games that eat tables (Runebound), others eat rooms (Descent), HeroClix eats homes. This could fix that.
Several of the free and one of the pay MtG emulators imply they are good for making your own card games. There is also at least one game (OCTGEN? i don't remember which) that is currently being used to emulate a lot of boardgames. 40K especially. Go diy.
If it's OCTGN that wouldn't surprise me, that's what we used for VS. tournaments. It's essentially an online kitchen table that can keep track of a lot of math. Since I made this post though, NECA has made an online HeroClix game. It's just in beta right now and only comprises one set (Hammer of Thor) but shows considerable promise from what I've seen.

If I could play Warhammer 40k without leasing several treasured body parts though that's something I should look into.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Thought I'd bump this to say the game is still around and hit F2P on Steam, which caused the player size to increase a hundred-fold and caused some problems. They've also done balance fixes and other forms of tinkering the past year. Though the SOE cuts last year hit the Tactix team hard, they're down to 6 people on the main team. They've also cut the cost of most things (boosters are now 3 for 14 cards, campagins are 2.50, etc)