Magic: The Gathering - The Movie in The Works at Fox

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Hmm, interesting.

I do hope they don't go the D&D movie route.
although i found it watcheble, it was certainly not good.

My fear is that if they go with live-action, it will be so CGI heavy that they might as well have animated it.

As for story, my gues would be that they go for Nicol Bolas.
I'm some sets behind, so i'm not entirely up to date with current events.

blackaddicus

Apr 2, 2011
Jeroenr said:
I would of thought that they would include Mr Bolas, given that he is so tangled up in the lore of the game as it is.

That said i reckon there is a good chance since it is looking like several films, given the way that the report said that they are looking to make it into a franchise. That one of the films includes Liliana hunting down one of here demon lords.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
blackaddicus said:
Jeroenr said:
I would of thought that they would include Mr Bolas, given that he is so tangled up in the lore of the game as it is.

That said i reckon there is a good chance since it is looking like several films, given the way that the report said that they are looking to make it into a franchise. That one of the films includes Liliana hunting down one of here demon lords.

Well. if they go for more films, they could give him a Thanos like role.
That would make kinda sense, Bolas is more a puppetmaster.
Instead of direct involvement he usually recruits agents like, Sarkhan Vol or Tezzeret.

But FOX please don't, we get enove trilogies as it is.

I don't think the movie will be to lore heavy.

This type of movie, if purely made for fans of the source tend not to do well in the box-office.
And the movie studios these day all seek a save pay-check.

btw, is that Phyrexia corruption still going on?

blackaddicus

Apr 2, 2011
Jeroenr said:
blackaddicus said:
Jeroenr said:

Well. if they go for more films, they could give him a Thanos like role.
That would make kinda sense, Bolas is more a puppetmaster.
Instead of direct involvement he usually recruits agents like, Sarkhan Vol or Tezzeret.

But FOX please don't, we get enove trilogies as it is.

I don't think the movie will be to lore heavy.

This type of movie, if purely made for fans of the source tend not to do well in the box-office.
And the movie studios these day all seek a save pay-check.

btw, is that Phyrexia corruption still going on?
The plane of Mirrodin is now known as New Phyrexia, the block spanning 2010-11 covered the war between the Mirani and the Phyrexians. So yes the Phyrexia corruption is still around, however for the time been nothing new about the corruption is known.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
Hmmm considering they most likely want to tie into a future magic set it is likely that the 2014 september set will feature a story suitable for a movie. It also was recently released by maro that huey(the codename for the set) has a different structure to that of other sets.

However I believe we should all bow our heads and pray and recent movie bobs chapter 10 verse superman.

"Please don't suck, Please don't suck, Please don't suck, Please don't suck, Please don't suck, Please don't suck"

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
There's a lot of people screaming "why?" at this and I don't get it. The MtG setting is incredibly deep. Every Block basically could have its own movie, with some characters and settings returning across several movies. You could make a dozen movies without ever having to deviate from the storyline. And the silly thing is, the storyline is actually good! Don't get me wrong, I found the books that have been published in the setting pretty damn poor (though maybe they've improved), but that was due to the writing, not the lore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_storylines though there's probably more extensive write-ups which offer more.

If anything, my biggest fear is that they won't have enough money to do it justice. The costumes, the spells, the sets...

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
If its anything like the comic books that I read, it should be at least an average action film with some cool ideas. Planeswalkers who can summon creatures and cast spells can be made, given the correct writers, incredibly cool.

I don't actually think this will be about playing the card game, as the OP thinks. That would be kinda retarded. Unless its a opportunity to do a film about having the piss taken out of you for your hobbies. No joke, I was perusing one of my first MTG decks I ever bought on the train home, and some kids behind me noticed and started talking about how that was "the gay card game" to each other. I was 22. You can never escape the prejudice, man.

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
balladbird said:
BanicRhys said:
Oh good, who wants to bet it'll be one, huge Chandra wank fest?
Chandra? based on what I've read online, I'd have figured Jace was the trademark favorite creation over at Wizards.
People like Bewbs, and this movie is probably going to try and go for the shotgun mass target audience for moar munny approach then to satisfy it's current fan base.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
ok this could work, "flame shield up". ok now they could make an interesting story by having some normal magic player being sucked into the world of magic were he(or she) must learn to control their new planeswalker powers to survive, learning from each of the original planeswalkers. Hey id watch that and I bet a lot of other people would it would make for a great movie, that said if they make it just a card game Ill bomb it along with the rest of you.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
if this movie ends up being based arond people playing the card game count me out.

If it is being set in the mtg multiverse then its:
prediction time(disclaimer these predicitons are being made under the presumtion that the movie is being made by at least a director who actually likes MTG or would put the effort into this to make it good):
Planeswalkers;
I am guessing they will introduce a new planeswalker who is just learning thier powers (seeing as it sbeing made by fox this planeswalker is going to be a rugged good looking male)
But that one of the main planeswalkers while either make a short appearance in a scene as a shout out to fans and to set up events for the franchise (this is going to be a franchise unless it flops in the box office) if that is the case it will probably be gideon to set up a avegners scenario to fight the eldrazi.
Or one the the main is going to be a mentor in which case chandra and jace are tied for my top predicitons, chandra is easy to market and could be used as a love interest for the movie. While jace is popular and could be used to appeal to the loki crowed.

The villian will most likely be a minion of nicol bola (but we only find out at the end of the movie he was just a minion, again to set up stuff for the franchise)

some other planeswalkers might appear in montage scenes when something is being explained or hinted at for the future.

creatures;
I am guessing some notable creatures like lalnowar elves and spells like cancle will be used at some points in the movie as a shout out to fans.

planes;
I am guessin we might see 1 or 2 notable planes in a intro scene setting up the plot before we meat our main character or in a after credits scene setting things up for upcoming moveis, but I am guessing the movie will be se tin a new plane that will be very much classic fanatasy based so that it attracts the hobbit, lord of the rings and game of thrones crowed.

any one else like to add to this list?

Fumbles

Apr 15, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
[HEADING=1]WHY?![/HEADING]

Jesus!? Out of all the IPs to make a movie out of, THIS is what the Execs thought was a good idea?!
Christ, I almost wish they were making another Fantastic Four...
They are... with an African American Johnny Storm... I'll just let that sink in, I honestly don't know how I feel about it. http://screenrant.com/fantastic-four-human-torch-cast-michael-jordan-2015/

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
I'm not sure what to make of this. What would a Magic movie even be about?
Personally, I'm hoping for a movie version of either the Phyrexian War (which could easily be made into a trilogy of movies, since studios are only interested in trilogies these days), or the Odyssey/Onslaught blocks (I'm a sucker for Swords & Sandals).

Steven Bogos said:
Simon Kinberg, who helped the studio bring the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises in, will be in charge of Magic: The Gathering's film adaptation.
Because both those franchises were sooo good, weren't they? (Ok, X-men First Class really was good).

CelestDaer said:
Diablo1099 said:
Christ, I almost wish they were making another Fantastic Four...
Funny you should mention that. [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1502712/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Atary77 said:
Since no one else said it, does this also mean Fox is going to put out a sequel every year?
They're going to put out an expansion film every couple months and a new core movie every year.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
I'm not sure what to make of this. What would a Magic movie even be about? Would it eschew the actual cards and simply be about the "world" of of the game, or would it be about a young rookie Magic player fighting his way to the top?
As crazy as it sounds, if they went for the former this could actually be a goldmine. There's a ton of lore and mythos here, complete with factions (Theros, Ravnica, etc...) and legendary characters (planeswalkers). I mean, the lore pretty much Game-of-Throne's itself. As long as they don't botch the first movie, this a franchise that can just keep on ticking, just like the card game.

I'm not the die hard magic fan but I can understand why some people will be frothing in agony over this, but it does have potential.

umbraticus

May 4, 2011
i hope they're making a movie about the multiverse and the stories that happen in there instead of a 'it's time to duel!' style yu-gi-oh movie.
it's risky but if done correctly, i would actually welcome a live-action movie or animation set in the fictional world of MAGIC.

velcthulhu

Feb 14, 2009
It SHOULD be about Urza. It won't be, because they'll want to attract movie fans to the game so they'll use their current characters. Meaning most likely the Lorwyn 5, especially for the first movie.

...So basically it's going to be about Jace. With Chandra and Liliana around to look pretty. And maybe a bit part for Garruk and Ajani.