Mahalo: Mass Effect - Recap

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
It's hard to appreciate the work in that video if the narrator is going to be flat. I wouldn't be so critical of it, but when comparing this video to this one [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_opf7-bWIR8], the difference is painfully obvious.

And honestly, there are some parts in that video that are unnecessary. In particular: 1:29-1:46. You went from "They were unable to do [X]" to "They were able to do [X]", and makes that near 20 seconds of video completely pointless, save for setting up the recruitment of your team members.

I fail to see why Mahalo is here on The Escapist. Better them than Media Cows, but still: are they really in such a bind that they need The Escapist to get them more attention?

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
Informative, for the Ps3 players who didnt get a change to play Mass Effect 1, although the interactive comic does the same job regardless.

I feel that this video could have been narrated better.

Just my two cents.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Huge step forward compared to the Skyrim one. Not perfect and should be named "Recap of Mass Effect 1" since there where nothing from ME2...
However even though I wouldn't go and say bad, Mahalo is far from being the next ZP, EtM/BP or Jimq for that mater...
Just have some small problem in seeing the use of it yet, but I would give it some more tries.
And I also suspect theses videos aren't what you would call expensive to create, so keep trying.

And some words of wisdom:
Ever tried.
Ever failed.
No Matter.
Try again.
Fail again.
Fail better.
:)

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
This one guy said:
If you haven't played the first mass effect then go get it and stop Wrex from dying, that's the only recap you need.
I might be wrong, but I think watching the video is quicker. ;)

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
Hixy said:
punipunipyo said:
NIce~ you see... the first game I couldn't finish because I got this bug that makes me unable to go on with the story... and so I skipped 2 as well... first game is still on the shelf, but I don't want restart the ENTIRE STORY LINE (5hours, don't ask how, but took me that long to GET TO NORMANDY, side quest... go figure...) now, I am safe to say, I can skip the first game... please do the second game, so I can just play the action packed third installment, and make a female character instead!
Well the first one is a bit buggy but I still like it. However if I was you I would complete ME2 it is a really good game
Thanks for the info, I'll see in to that... you... DO get to load your last save from previous game... like Quest for Glory... right?

Steampunk Viking

Jan 15, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
Ahh, ME1, when EAoware was still mostly Bioware.

I liked the recap! Bit more emotion in the voice pls.
Bioware wasn't part of EA when they made the XBox (original) version of Mass Effect...

Excellent stuff. Mass Effect 1 had a much better storyline than the second (although I did enjoy both).

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Kimarous said:
Who is this video for? Fans of the series remember all of this, virtually nobody is going to pick up this story midway through, and even if they did, the game recaps all the important details anyway AND there's an expansive in-game codex to boot.
Actually, I've played both ME1&2 and still appreciate a succinct recapitulation of the main plot (some of us consume enough media that we need to be a little bit discriminating about what we retain).

krychek57

Some Random Dude
Apr 13, 2010
craddoke said:
Kimarous said:
Who is this video for? Fans of the series remember all of this, virtually nobody is going to pick up this story midway through, and even if they did, the game recaps all the important details anyway AND there's an expansive in-game codex to boot.
Actually, I've played both ME1&2 and still appreciate a succinct recapitulation of the main plot (some of us consume enough media that we need to be a little bit discriminating about what we retain).
Here, here, it's a good refresh of the brain cells.
Much better then the past two videos.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Who is the target audience for this video?
It seems to air more on the side of informative than entertaining. (I can see the appeal of a Ben Stein-esque recap of certain games but you kind of have to be Ben Stein to pull that off)

If someone hasn't played the first 2 Mass Effect games why would they want to play the tired one?
No offense but you sound bored while reading the recap, that doesn't exactly make me think the subject matter is going to be much better
You sound bored in all of your videos, it gets to the point where when you do make a joke or say something passionately it just sounds forced and it sounds even more uncomfortable than the rest of the video.

Between this, Miracle of Sound, the GinxTV shows and Meatbag and CO I just don't know...I'm losing faith in the Escapist.
I'm going to go re-watch a bunch of Zero Punctuation episodes and hope Space Janitors is funny.