Major companies who have pissed you off to the point of no return.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Posted in the completely wrong thread sorry.

Gawker Media with the arrogant annoying reporting found on Kotaku. Does that count? I swore off that site two years ago. Haven't been back since.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Lovely Mixture said:
And yet other companies have released their products for both consoles. Perhaps the "gaming experience" is no different on either side?
So basically every company should go the Bethesda route and release their stuff on every system, despite how broken it is at release and while they know they wont be able to fix it.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
vv85 said:
Amazon - Boldfaced market manipulation, printed in Arial 12pt, and sold as an e-book for %400 cost price.
Speaking of Amazon and ebooks, ANY company that's been involved in the ebook price manipulation.
You mean everyone but Amazon?

Anyway... Sprint. For adding insurance back on my account 3 times after I canceled it in store.

I'm not pissed at AMD, but I don't trust them and wont buy any of their hardware. Their drivers are crap and have failed me every single time I bought them.

Oh, and Samsung. I know their phones have gotten way better over the years, but I've gotten too many bum phones from them to come back. Unless HTC and Nokia finally goes under. Then I guess I'll have to.

Amaror said:
Lovely Mixture said:
And yet other companies have released their products for both consoles. Perhaps the "gaming experience" is no different on either side?
So basically every company should go the Bethesda route and release their stuff on every system, despite how broken it is at release and while they know they wont be able to fix it.
Seeing as everyone's using the same hardware now, there's really very little reason for exclusives.

Nov 28, 2007
I have no "point of no return" companies. I'm not saying I don't think companies make mistakes, or do bad things, mind you. However, let's take EA for example. They publish some of my favorite games (the Mass Effect trilogy and Dragon Age trilogy, along with The Old Republic), as well as my younger brother's sports games. Should I stop playing the games I enjoy just because the company does something I don't like? Does that mean I should wish for EA, and therefore all the companies they own, to go out of business because they don't work the way I think they should? No. As long as companies act legally, I have no issues. Ethics is another thing, but if I were to boycott every unethical company, I'd be left with mom and pop stores and indie developers, which despite what others seem to think are no more capable of making a great game than a large developer.

That said, Wal-Mart is a very tricky thing for me, because the worker's situation is abysmal and very close to illegal, if not actually illegal. Luckily, there is nothing they have that I can't get somewhere else around. Clothes? I've got a Kohl's. Groceries? Take your pick. Video games? I have several brick-and-mortar shops, and Amazon. Pet food? I have a Petsmart. Cleaning supplies? ...You get the idea. That said, I hold nothing against people who just aren't in a position to do that. Main issue with boycotts is that you end up hurting people who did nothing wrong, other than work at a company where some executive made some bad decisions.

The_Tron

Jun 8, 2010
Amaror said:
Lovely Mixture said:
Seeing as everyone's using the same hardware now, there's really very little reason for exclusives.[/quote]

While from a technical standpoint it's true, there's little reason to have exclusive releases. From a marketing standpoint you MUST have exclusives. So you can say things along the lines of "Hey you want to play _____? Well you can only play it on a ______! So buy one now!!"

At least now with the comparable hardware there should not be as big of a difference between multiplatform releases. Still unimpressed that the orange box shit the bed so hard on the PS3. Which in turn caused valve representatives to ***** about the ps3 and how hard it is to develop for.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Sky Television

Short version - They kept dicking me around

Long Version -
About 7-8 years ago I signed up for a Sky subscription.Now before I signed up I made sure to check that I wouldn't be forced to pay by direct debit as I don't like to use that method.No worries there on their website in plain english the info I was looking for i.e I had options other than direct debit.So I decided to apply online to avail of the "2 months free sports and movies" offer for signing up online.About 24 hours later I receive a phone call to confirm my subscription.During this call the lady asked if I wished to pay by direct debit.I said "no I don't".I was told "that's fine".About 5 days later two guys came out to install the service.Everything was working fine..

At least for the first couple of weeks anyway.Exactly 2 weeks after installation a direct debit form arrived in the post and the majority of my channels were cut off.I ring customer service and explain to them that I'm not paying by direct debit and I'm told that it was just a mistake and that my service will be restored shortly.Sure enough 30 mins later everything's back to normal.

Except this shit kept happening.Every 2 weeks without fail my channels would be cut off and a direct debit form would be waiting in the post.And every time I contacted customer service I was fed a new BS story.I was told that I was "contractually obliged" to pay the first 3 months by direct debit(When I asked her to point out exactly where it said that in the contract(hint:it doesn't)she tried to change the subject).I was told that if I didn't pay by direct debit I would have to pay the first 12 months in advance.I was told that if I didn't pay by direct debit then I didn't qualify for the free sports and movies offer.When I pointed out what it said on their website I was told "the website has nothing to do with us"(it's the website of the company you work for.of course it has to do with ye you idiot).

Eventually after being dicked around for about 2 months I said " fuck it" and stopped contacting them.Everytime I see one of their ads with their "Believe in Better" slogan I have to shake my head and laugh.Still the way I see it I got a free satellite dish and box that gets me about 30 channels so Fuck You Rupert Murdoch

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
MetalDooley said:
Sky Television

Short version - They kept dicking me around
My flatmate had it when he lived with me so i just gave him some money towards it. Their billing system is awkward as your internet and television come on 2 seperate bills which can be frustrating

I would never get it now im on my own purely because of their rediculous price structure and thousands of pointless channels. The fact you cant simply have the sports channels as a standalone (you have to have the entertainment package and add on the sports) which ends up setting you back £60 a month

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
shootthebandit said:
I would never get it now im on my own purely because of their rediculous price structure and thousands of pointless channels. The fact you cant simply have the sports channels as a standalone (you have to have the entertainment package and add on the sports) which ends up setting you back £60 a month
To be honest I'm glad I don't have it now as like you said it's ridiculously expensive given the amount of shite on it.I don't watch a lot of Tv anyway and was getting it primarily for the sports channels

I just don't like being messed around.If you want me to pay by direct debit then specify that from the start.Don't tell me I have options and then spend the next 2 months trying to bully me into DD while blatantly lying to my face.It's because of their bullshit that I have absolutely no qualms about watching free sports streams online now

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
MetalDooley said:
shootthebandit said:
To be honest I'm glad I don't have it now as like you said it's ridiculously expensive given the amount of shite on it.I don't watch a lot of Tv anyway and was getting it primarily for the sports channels

I just don't like being messed around.If you want me to pay by direct debit then specify that from the start.Don't tell me I have options and then spend the next 2 months trying to bully me into DD while blatantly lying to my face.It's because of their bullshit that I have absolutely no qualms about watching free sports streams online now
Yeah i agree . If i want to watch a game ill go to the pub on the weekend and have a few beers while watching the game or ill stream it online

WhyWasThat

Jul 2, 2010
Microsoft.

I've always had a vague but intense distrust and disliking for this corporation, without ever really knowing exactly why. They've always struck me as being vain glorious, heavy-handed, derisive and completely apathetic when it comes to valuing their customer base.
And now those misgivings have been well and truly confirmed. The Xbox One furore has revealed the company for what they truly are; they ARE arrogant, they ARE bullish, and they are, all in all, a deeply unpleasant company.

I already own an Xbox 360, and I recently renewed my Xbox LIVE Gold subscription for another 12 months, but that's it. After that, I'm done. I will not be buying an Xbox One, and in future I will not support Microsoft if at all possible.
To be frank, if Microsoft folded tomorrow, I would only be relieved.

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
I'm not sure if this'll count but Purolator and DHL. It's as if they simply cannot understand that I, being able to afford their services need to go to a job. Now while I am at this job, they will undoubtedly not find me at home from between 8 and 4.

You'd think they'd realize but no...

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Amaror said:
Lovely Mixture said:
More false dichotomy, strawman, and also extending the goalpost. That's actually a valid reason to not do it.

Like I said, I have no problem with people making decisions based on reasoning that makes sense.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
You know, I used to work at McDonald's when I was younger. Since I quit, I have probably ate there a grand total of 3 times. I quit in 2004. Do the math.

Ignoring the food, the way the store I worked at treated me and others was just inexcusable.

Schedule Manager personally told me that I wouldn't have to come in on the weekend till 8 (usually came in at 6) due to Finals at school. Great, that was real nice of her. Which is why the Store Manager went behind her back and changed my schedule and never told me. Then gets mad when I show up "late". Seriously, why would I check my hours that day after being told personally?

It's okay to pay out orders BEFORE the people pay, right? Because I was forced to do that. Do you have any idea how many people change or add to orders at the window?

Closing Friday, or close to it, then coming in to open Saturday and Sunday. Working till 2, but really working to 4 or 5 because no one comes in to replace me. And having to clean dishes while taking orders and money in drive thru. Or, at least after someone came in to replace me. Is it any wonder I would go home and fall asleep on the love seat as soon as I walked in?
[sub]4 hours of sleep and working a 10+ hour day. Oh and...[/sub]

Lunch? Just eat this while in Drive Thru. And don't let the customers know you are eating.

Seriously, I have million stories. And even some shitty ones that I don't mind as I really am just a good/loyal employee or will help out when needed. Though, the Store Manager was horrible. I knew people who quit when she took over.

Lied about our Drive Thru times to corporate. Remember the whole paying out orders thing I mentioned? That's why!
Drove her truck around the store when we had no customers for a while to get the times down.
Treated everyone badly in general.
Oh, I learned she was fired years later for stealing money from the store.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Microsoft was beyond the point of no return at the release of Windows ME. Every shitty thing they've made since has come as no surprise to me. Windows 7 ripping ideas straight from KDE (and being better for it) was no surprise... I think the only thing they've come up with on their own since ME that was a pleasant surprise was Windows XP. Those days are long gone now, though.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Saltyk said:
You know, I used to work at McDonald's when I was younger
I know that feel bro. Mine wasn't as shitty as your's and never had to suffer through taking orders, but so much bullshit. I worked in the kitchen and it would be like 90 degrees (like 30 Celsius) even in the winter. Why? Most stores have ice machines connected to vents that vent heat through the roof, ours vented it straight into the kitchen. As for management, I used to get yelled at for throwing away under cooked food. Yeah, pieces of chicken that are too big don't get cooked all the way through in 3 minutes (not that I gave a fuck about management and their quotas, anything I wouldn't eat was going in the garbage). Also our general manager was caught manually cutting hours off our pay checks so it would come out as though we were under labor. I never found out if she took anything off mine personally. Of course, she was rewarded with early retirement for that illegal bullshit

purf

Nov 29, 2010
I guess there are more evil ones in the very grand scheme of things but ...
Every single phone company I had to deal with ever since I have lived on my own.
Fucking leeches.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Well SOE took SWG and tried to turn it into Warcraft, because even back then companies just cloned off each other instead of something senseable such as varity. Really haven't forgiven them for that.

EA may or may not have taken Bioware and made it it's *****. I don't have proof, but EA is on probation with me.

Brighthouse double billed me and took my very carefully constructed finacial plan and raped me with it. Hello 800 dollars in the negative. They are definitely on my shit list.

And then there is a special place thats reserved for the damned. The burst into flames and die slowly as I laugh and urinate on its smouldering corpse. That would be alienware. They sold me a defective notebook valued at 4,000 dollars I had to threaten to sue before they would send me a 2 replacements both that were also defective. One didn't even have the silver contact paste on the graphics card so that fried... Yes I wish them nothing but unemployment.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
No one has mentioned Chick-fil-a yet, what with their big anti-gay donations that made headlines a while back? Huh. Yeah, them. I refuse to eat there.