Major Nelson Claims Microsoft Is Listening To DRM Complaints

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
This essentially translates as "we are pooping our pants and thinking how we can fix this goddamn mess"...

MS did their reveal and pushed through some things people did not like. They thought they could get away with it, they thought people would at worst grumble a bit and accept it. However, they were not prepared for the ensuing shitstorm. And a shitstorm it is. At this point, they are naturally looking to scale back some of the restrictive measures, but they are unsure by how much.

Let's face it, most of what people don't like about the console directly benefits MS. Those features are made with MS's interest in mind. They know they'll have to cut something down, but they are trying to determine the minimum amount they need to change to get the public to grudgingly accept. They won't drop the stuff people don't like because it benefits them, but they'll dial it down a bit. If that's a good thing or a bad thing, that's a deeper question.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Strazdas said:
So basically a "Yes we know you hate us, were still not going to do anything about it" policy. Typical microsoft though, nothing new here.

Evil Smurf said:
I think it's because everyone else is building products that don't last. They don't want to upset everyone.
PCs. no, really. There have been only one PC component that broke down of old age ( did burn two gpus but one was my fault and other HP cooling design which they admitted as a build fault and replaced it for every model sold that wanted replacing).
That was a HDD that worked for 8 years. Though i did add some extra ram and whatnot that is newer to the 10 old one, but the original lust still works too.
I still got a 13 year old PC that works, as well as a 10 year old one and a 4 year old one. And they didn't break down. Sure the oldest one are not even fit for browsing internet, but that's beside the point, it was good at its time. So the "Everyone is doing that" is more of an excuse than a reality.
No kidding. I had my PC with the Voodoo 3Dfx card and the (Pentium 2?) for like at least 10 years, after I turned it into a mail server. The GTX 465 I have now, a couple months ago I let it hit 110c for hours several times before I quit being lazy and opened it up to replace the thermal paste/dust out the fan, and accidentally dropped it on carpet while the housing was off and the GPU was exposed. I was pretty sure it was fucked. Sure enough, I played some Tomb Raider last night and I'm typing to you now. That before-mentioned Pentium 2 only kicked the bucket because the HDD went bad, and I really couldn't do anything with the other parts.

Oh, and Nintendo consoles. Durable bastards. The pin dock on the NES might seen replacing after 25+ years, but I've seen someone drop a Gamecube down a flight of stairs that still worked just fine. If I dropped my 360 from a height of more than like...1 meter, I'd be sure it was boned.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
They're "listening". Sounds just like how Bioware was "listening" and I think we're going to get the same result; as in not a damn thing.

Microsoft is being so fucking vague it's just unbelievably frustrating. I have no choice but to be under the assumption that they have no answer and that they're rushing around desperately trying to plug the dam one finger at a time.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
[Reacting purely to the headline]

No you fucking aren't! Otherwise you wouldn't have designed the fucking console to work like that!

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
So the short story is that the panic button has been pressed?

Probably a wise move now seeing as the Xbone is now more hated on the internet than My Little Pony.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Considering what happened with the Xbox 360 dashboard already, there's no way I'm even stepping on board for an Xbox One. They'll just fix a few things to get everyone complacent and then as soon as they got an install base, start going back on everything they said earlier.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
yeah I get the feeling his I'm listening could be translated as 'in one ear, out the other'.
There is also the 'we're listening but don't give a damn' response as well.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Can they just make it official that XBox One's slogan is "We'll get back to you on that one later..."?

I'm beginning to wonder if Microsoft is planning on putting packets of cocaine into their swag bags at E3. How good an impression could they possibly make to make up for all the self-inflicted injuries?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
*Sigh* Another Xboner from Microsoft.

Listening =/= caring

They clearly aren't listening too, because a lot of people have been asking for answers and not delay tactics. The answer "We'll get back to you on that one!".

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
If E3 doesn't give a clear indication of what they're planning then an anti-marketing campaign is called for.

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
Microsoft wants you to know that they *are* listening.

If fact, they are preparing a negotiator as we speak. In the meantime, they've promised not to kill any of the hostages until after they have announced the details of their demands, and we have had a chance to consider them.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
wooty said:
So the short story is that the panic button has been pressed?

Probably a wise move now seeing as the Xbone is now more hated on the internet than My Little Pony.
who on earth can hate My Little Pony? its so cute

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
You know, the thing about all this is that I'm not even sure that it matters what they do at this point. The Xbone has had weeks of nothing but bad press and bad word of mouth within the gaming community and online forums. Even if they did radically change some of their policies, chances are the only people who will listen or care are the folks who were already going to get the Xbone anyway.

First impressions count for a lot. Once people make up their minds about whether or not they like something, the majority of people don't like to go back and change their minds. Their opinion has been formed and they'll stick to their guns about it.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
Zeckt said:
What about the microsoft policy to make their hardware out of garbage so the system breaks down in 3 years forcing another purchase on the consumer? why don't they comment about how they are trying to make a DURABLE system to bring back the customers that are pissed at them and lost faith when their 360's died?? Looks like this will cost as much as the 360, DOUBLE the listed price when you are forced to rebuy it after it breaks.

No one will ask the tough question on the durability which is entirely warranted thanks to the 360 life cycle, they are too deep in microsofts pockets or too afraid to look bad to them. Pathetic journalists.
I think it's because everyone else is building products that don't last. They don't want to upset everyone.
Umm my PCs last years, heck none have ever died only been replaced which is becoming a longer period of time. My PS3 which I preordered and got on launch day still runs perfectly. Yeah I don't accept that fanboy crap, only Microsoft makes such shoddy work and it's unacceptable. What was the rate, 30-40%? Thats utter crap. And so is XBone.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
RicoADF said:
Evil Smurf said:
Zeckt said:
What about the microsoft policy to make their hardware out of garbage so the system breaks down in 3 years forcing another purchase on the consumer? why don't they comment about how they are trying to make a DURABLE system to bring back the customers that are pissed at them and lost faith when their 360's died?? Looks like this will cost as much as the 360, DOUBLE the listed price when you are forced to rebuy it after it breaks.

No one will ask the tough question on the durability which is entirely warranted thanks to the 360 life cycle, they are too deep in microsofts pockets or too afraid to look bad to them. Pathetic journalists.
Umm my PCs last years, heck none have ever died only been replaced which is becoming a longer period of time. My PS3 which I preordered and got on launch day still runs perfectly. Yeah I don't accept that fanboy crap, only Microsoft makes such shoddy work and it's unacceptable. What was the rate, 30-40%? Thats utter crap. And so is XBone.
I don't like it either, but planned obsolescence is a thing that exists. Microsoft use it, and other companies do to. I just can't think of any :D

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
There is a huge difference between listening to and acting on complaints.

Huge difference.

I won't be getting a Xbone, why would I do that when my PC does everything it does, and more, often times a hell of a lot better then what I've seen of this console.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
I don't like it either, but planned obsolescence is a thing that exists. Microsoft use it, and other companies do to. I just can't think of any :D
That is true, which is why companies that I find out do that (or items that I notice seem built that way) find themselves in the don't buy list, XBone is the king of that list I must say.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Microsoft HQ - 8 hours ago.

"Oh shit, core gamers don't want our product, pull up PRspiel.txt and get Major Nelson to say something from there."