Make One Slight Change to A Game, Make it 1000X More Awesome

Psycomantis777

Apr 24, 2012
When you complete a game you've got for the first time on the hardest difficulty, you are given a pizza. I don't know how they'd get about doing this but it would be worth it.

byte4554_v1legacy

Feb 23, 2010
Toxinthegreat said:
Take Half-Life 2 - Add Sandbox Elements + Grappling Hook + More Bugbait usage + Jet Pack. I think we'd all die from the Awesome.
All of the posts so far are aesome, especially the ones related to just cause 2, grappling hooks, removing COD and halo like elements, and removing the grit, both the features, and the character development. However, I'd have to say that this is the best one so far.(Although I do think that your stretching the word "slight" a little bit too much.)
Now for my suggestions.
Psychonauts: Allowthe player to go back into the real world after the "Point of no return".
Not for getting items, as it tells you, and makes you an extra backup save, but simply because I find the concept creepy. Imagine this, trapped forever in an eternal limbo, with nowhere to go but the minds of others, (oh, and yourself of course.). Doomed to switch between these unearthly, unreal, horrible worlds... forever. Or else, ya know... fix the buggy, iritating platforming sections... that could work too. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArsonMurderAndJaywalking]

Jzcaesar

Mar 29, 2011
De Bureau said:
The Madman said:
A Total War game with the character-driven political system of Crusader Kings 2.

It would be the ultimate historical strategy game.

Oh god, the El Dorado of historical strategy. I try not to think about this hypothetical game because it's too painful knowing it will never exist.
I love both games (Crusader Kings 2 and the Total War games), but wouldn't trying to put both games into one game slow the game down into something that would take weeks to play? I've played both games for hours and it takes me like 60+ hours to get anywhere, and it would seem like some combination of the games would make any game I play suck up even more of my time.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
cthulhuspawn82 said:
Take the Elder Scrolls series and make it an XP based system where you spend skill points on level up, like Fallout. The "use it to level it" system is the literal definition of a grind. If it were not for the fact that I can play the game in a window and watch netflix while I cast courage on my follower for 2 hours, the game would almost be unplayable.
No. I love the TES leveling model, and wish more games would use it.

See, the problem is you're thinking about it the wrong way. You're playing with the goal of leveling up, which isn't the point in TES games. The entire point of the leveling system in these games is that its just supposed to happen in the background as you play. Reaching the next, or max, level should never be your goal. If it is, yeah, you're going to be bored out of your mind.

There's a reason that the games DON'T have xp. The game isn't intended to be numbers driven. You're supposed to be driven to fight high level enemies for the sake of fighting and besting them, not getting their xp points. This is the same reason there aren't more "loot drops."

The goal of this design is to de-game the experience. What I mean is this: when you're playing a game to level up quickly, or get the best loot, etc. you're doing what's known as meta-gaming. You're playing a separate game with the game's systems/mechanics that has little to do with the actual game.

TES's design is in place to discourage metagaming. It's trying to make the whole experience more organic. Think about it: using an xp systems leads to times where in, say Fallout 3, you can level your small guns skill without ever using that skill in combat. It's a system that only makes sense in the mechanics. It doesn't make sense in the game's lore nor in the real worl. TES's mechanics are trying to keep you in the game world as much as possible.

Want to be better at archery? Use a bow or find a someone to teach you. That's something that makes sense inside and outside the game. Yeah, it's not a typical system for games, which is why I think a lot of gamers are irritated by it, but it's there for a reason.

If you're someone that enjoys pursuing the next level and metagaming, however, TES is probably not going to rub you the right way, specifically because it's designed to discourage that type of play.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Saints Row: the Third

Add back in the newspaper clippings and/or the ability to re-watch old cut-scenes. Seriously, when I couldn't find it, I was strangely pissed.

Russirishican

Feb 9, 2011
Take Touhou, give it a mode where getting hit doesn't interrupt play, just adds a point to a death counter, and make it so you can't unlock the endings on that mode. Suddenly its extremely fun to play even if you aren't that great at it.

Take Team Fortress 2, add hats.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
The Madman said:
A Total War game with the character-driven political system of Crusader Kings 2.

It would be the ultimate historical strategy game.
or even better, Rome with better graphics, actual naval combat, better diplomacy, a bigger campaign map, and animations like in shogun 2 for combat kills.

OH WAIT!

but yeah, character driven political system would be great, but either way im excited as hell for Rome 2.

TheHeeyyy

Apr 1, 2009
LA Noire: Get rid of the scoring system for interviews. Every time I picked the wrong response I felt a strong urge to reload.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
In Bioshock after

You have your brainwashing removed by that lady, the game becomes open world or at least a lot less linear. Because now your character has free will and can go wherever you want. Also you suddenly get to make more choices, maybe even get a dialouge tree. Missed chance for the story to affect the gameplay...

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
Krantos said:

See, the problem is you're thinking about it the wrong way. You're playing with the goal of leveling up, which isn't the point in TES games. The entire point of the leveling system in these games is that its just supposed to happen in the background as you play. Reaching the next, or max, level should never be your goal. If it is, yeah, you're going to be bored out of your mind.

There's a reason that the games DON'T have xp. The game isn't intended to be numbers driven. You're supposed to be driven to fight high level enemies for the sake of fighting and besting them, not getting their xp points. This is the same reason there aren't more "loot drops."

The goal of this design is to de-game the experience. What I mean is this: when you're playing a game to level up quickly, or get the best loot, etc. you're doing what's known as meta-gaming. You're playing a separate game with the game's systems/mechanics that has little to do with the actual game.

TES's design is in place to discourage metagaming. It's trying to make the whole experience more organic. Think about it: using an xp systems leads to times where in, say Fallout 3, you can level your small guns skill without ever using that skill in combat. It's a system that only makes sense in the mechanics. It doesn't make sense in the game's lore nor in the real worl. TES's mechanics are trying to keep you in the game world as much as possible.

Want to be better at archery? Use a bow or find a someone to teach you. That's something that makes sense inside and outside the game. Yeah, it's not a typical system for games, which is why I think a lot of gamers are irritated by it, but it's there for a reason.

If you're someone that enjoys pursuing the next level and metagaming, however, TES is probably not going to rub you the right way, specifically because it's designed to discourage that type of play.
Great point sir, and spoken like a true game designer. I couldn't have said it any better myself!

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Psycomantis777 said:
When you complete a game you've got for the first time on the hardest difficulty, you are given a pizza. I don't know how they'd get about doing this but it would be worth it.
A long time ago, when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game came out on consoles, it came with a coupon for Pizza Hut. Just have that for every single game ;).

OT: Skyward Sword, remove the Silent Realms and have more than 3 regions.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Krantos said:
cthulhuspawn82 said:
Take the Elder Scrolls series and make it an XP based system where you spend skill points on level up, like Fallout. The "use it to level it" system is the literal definition of a grind. If it were not for the fact that I can play the game in a window and watch netflix while I cast courage on my follower for 2 hours, the game would almost be unplayable.

Ha ha! I remember my friend, who never played Morrowind, started playing Oblivion and immediately began using the conversation skill just to get good prices from shops (in the town right after you create your character). I thought that was bad, but let him play the way he wanted. So his bonus became biggest to conversation and he kept leveling that exclusively. So around, I dunno, level 10 or 15, he finally sets out into the wilderness and realizes that the world had leveled up around him and he was basically a businessman. He couldn't defend himself against a wolf so he gave me the controller. I ran away but kept running into different animals. I had three wolves, a troll and maybe a cougar (I couldn't turn around to look) trailing me as if I were the Pied Piper for monsters.

I have to give it to my friend, he did eventually finish the game with that character, but not before I gave him the nickname 'Fancy Lad', as in the movie Cabin Boy. My friend thought he was being clever, but the game proved him wrong.