Male Perspective Needed - Update

Blue Sonnet

May 6, 2008
An update on this thread, for those who were kind enough to give me advice:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.83146?page=1

Since the last post, I have sent two e-mails, one polite but calling him out on what he did, giving evidence so that he couldn't talk his way out, which wasn't responded to.

The second was three sentences, saying that if he didn't respond to this one I'd take that as the end of our friendship. Again polite but ignored.

Well, I've just finished a call from an irate ex, who was going mad because he's says he's lost everything because of me - his house, dog and girlfriend (the house confuses me, he said previously that the house was all his, and he even had a mortgage - joint maybe?). He even had the gall to say that he "cared for me" and considered our friendship "honest"... I hung up at that point, something that I haven't done for years!* Liberating but scary.

What seems to have happened is that a friend of mine (who has the girlfriend as a Friend on Facebook), who I've known for over ten years, forwarded the girlfriends mother a private message I sent to her asking whether she knew why he was keeping the girl secret from me.

The only other things in the message were about him only calling and visiting occasionally for short periods, normally to complain about life and to have a shoulder to cry on, and the "you still look good" line. Nothing aside from that comment though, not the look up and down nor the elongated hug before he left.
Nothing else was written aside from those three things, and a worry about his general well-being.
She is the only person I've contacted about this (obviously this forum doesn't count as it's relatively anonymous).

He now has a printout of that message.

Something is fishy here - why would someone split from someone they've bought a house and a dog with over a message from an ex which doesn't have anything remotely incriminating, aside from the secrecy? I've since blocked him on mail and FB, and there's no way he'll come over to my house as he's terrified of both my sister and mother, both of whom can tear him new ones wherever they are needed. I won't be back in contact with him again.

I am feeling so sick right now though. My head really hurts too - I hate falling out with anyone, or upsetting them, and I didn't want to split them up, she seems like a really nice girl. Surely there's got to be more going on than this for her to leave him? Not that I'll ever find out.

I do hope that they sort things out, if this really is the only reason they fell out. I can't imagine splitting up from someone over such a small thing alone.

* The last time was when we'd first started going out, and my ex from a little while before him was making abusive calls and texts because his married girlfriend had just left him, after the two of us compared notes and realised that he was seeing both of us at the same time, including leaving my 21st early to go and see her. I was meant to "talk him up" to her, so that she would leave her husband and child... Yeah right...
The current ex was trying to cheer me up the whole time because it really upset me, so I hope that at some point he realises what's happened.

Danglybits

Oct 31, 2008
Firstly your friend (the one who forwarded the message to his GF) needs to be smacked, she had no right and no reason to get in your business, or his. That was not cool and this friend needs to know that.

Secondly, after reading the first post you're better off. He seemed to be keeping you around 'in case' just in case something happened or in case he felt bad. You are no one's handkerchief. And you're right that there is probably more going on here than you know. Maybe the GF thought that he still had feelings for you and the emails and such confirmed this, even if it was only in her mind. Don't worry about him so much and make yourself happy; because you're what matters.

Blue Sonnet

May 6, 2008
kanada514 said:
Very Intricate plot. I don't know what to think frankly. A lot of the decisions taken in your story seem entirely irrational. Thus, I will advance that one of the protagonists is crazy. Probably not you, because you seem to share my puzzling on the logic of the matter, so probably either him (and he does sound crazy, no offense) or her, which I don't know anything about but might be the orchestrator of the madness. The pupeteer if you will.
Sorry about the length (ooh, a phrase I don't hear often!), it's complicated so I thought it was best to make sure nothing was misunderstood.

I do wish that he'd just said something along the lines of "I want to stay friends, but my new girlfriend is a little jealous so I can't introduce you". This could all have been sorted out a week ago with one sentence. That's what gets me.

Danglybits said:
Firstly your friend (the one who forwarded the message to his GF) needs to be smacked, she had no right and no reason to get in your business, or his. That was not cool and this friend needs to know that.

Secondly, after reading the first post you're better off. He seemed to be keeping you around 'in case' just in case something happened or in case he felt bad. You are no one's handkerchief. And you're right that there is probably more going on here than you know. Maybe the GF thought that he still had feelings for you and the emails and such confirmed this, even if it was only in her mind. Don't worry about him so much and make yourself happy; because you're what matters.
I'm not too chuffed with my friend either - there was no need to send the ENTIRE mail, and no need to say that I was the one who said those things. It would have been so easy to say that an acquaintance of us both was worried because this had upset me. Blatantly forwarding a whole mail was too much.

I'm also worried that the mail might still have my contact details on...

I'm definitely over worrying about him. I've done so for too long, as you can probably see from the last topic, which explains why this bloody headache won't go away.

Claymorbmaster said:
So.......you're single then?
Why, yes I am, Mr Strange Person Who I've Never Met Or Spoken To Before. Interested?
I do have a history of cutting intimate body parts off dates who disappoint me, but that's not a problem, right?

Sorry, I haven't slept much in the past few days and now I'm starting to see little wriggly things...

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
Blue Sonnet said:
Claymorbmaster said:
So.......you're single then?
Why, yes I am, Mr Strange Person Who I've Never Met Or Spoken To Before. Interested?
I do have a history of cutting intimate body parts off dates who disappoint me, but that's not a problem, right?
It depends on if you're easily disappointed...

ThePlasmatizer

Sep 2, 2008
I feel sorry for you about what's happened all I can say is just don't worry about it. Another thing is I really can't believe one of your close friends forwarded a personal e-mail to someone else! I'd definitely give my friends the cold shoulder for a few days over that.

The only thing is I winced at your e-mails to him and your e-mail to your friend asking "why isn't he telling me anything?" because it really sounds like you are fawning over him.

Bl4d3z

Jan 15, 2009
I say he's emotionally unstable at least from my point of view. He "lost everything" and doesn't know where to place fault. I say the GF left probably due to him being what seems to be extremely conflicted, as mentioned before second thoughts of feelings being there which the email "confirmed" to her if she had knowledge of it. The latter probably ended up in his head so he blames you when it's his feelings that are at fault controllable or not. The whole depression thing could also come into play, he feels he had noone but you which feelings for you may have strengthened this belief, and the secrecy of this email(that was about him) made him second guess that trust. The GF leaves because she can't give him the emotional support he needs, the email pops up, he comes to the conclusion that I mentioned before and boom blames you.

Very long sorry and sorry if I misunderstood anything stayed up all night soooo very tired may have jumped to conclusions somewhere don't know but time for bed!

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
Wow... You just wanted some answers and all hell broke loose. I'm sorry. I've been here (about a year ago it's a story and a half) and it just blows...

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Well I'd say that the mail your friend sent to this girl kinda screwed things up royally for your ex. That may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm not going to sugar coat it, but thats just the way I see it. He was obviously a bit on the loony side to begin with. I personally don't think you need something like that in your life anyways so it was for the best that you got him out of yours.

The girlfriend probably thought he was cheating on her because he would go back and see you and what not. Its also obvious that he wasn't good with confrontation so when she asked him about it, he probably froze up much like he did when it came to ignoring you (not knowing what to say). So, as nice as you can sound, if you have any inkling towards being with someone, the other party is not going to be too happy.

Oh well though, shit happens. Move on.

Blue Sonnet

May 6, 2008
ThePlasmatizer said:
...The only thing is I winced at your e-mails to him and your e-mail to your friend asking "why isn't he telling me anything?" because it really sounds like you are fawning over him.
It does, doesn't it - I didn't put that part very well, but it definitely didn't come off like that in the mail itself, I think it looked like I was questioning his sanity!

Never mind, the last of my concern for him flew out of the window once it became clear that he was playing silly buggers. Life goes on, well at least it seems as though mine will, anyway. If his life is ruined, it's not because of one well-intentioned letter.

Isaac Dodgson said:
Wow... You just wanted some answers and all hell broke loose. I'm sorry. I've been here (about a year ago it's a story and a half) and it just blows...
Ouch - it's not fun, is it? I just hope that he doesn't decide to pay me a visit come office closing time...

I just hope the saying about things coming in three's isn't true, otherwise I'm due another one like this! Seriously, the only difference between the two situations is that the girl didn't know about me beforehand.

The only way that such a letter could damage a relationship is either if one party is insanely jealous, or one party is on their last warning anyway, that's what I'm thinking.

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
He sounds like he is trying to control you with guilt. Don't worry about it and move on, otherwise he wins.

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
Blue Sonnet said:
Ouch - it's not fun, is it? I just hope that he doesn't decide to pay me a visit come office closing time...

I just hope the saying about things coming in three's isn't true, otherwise I'm due another one like this! Seriously, the only difference between the two situations is that the girl didn't know about me beforehand.

The only way that such a letter could damage a relationship is either if one party is insanely jealous, or one party is on their last warning anyway, that's what I'm thinking.
Oh it does... It was one big clusterfuck, and explains a great deal of my misanthropy

samsprinkle

Jun 29, 2008
This is STUPID! Oh no! he has a facebook friend he's not telling me about! What shall I do? Oh! I'm not jealous! Just angry that he'd conceal a girlfriend from me! the bastard!

Blue Sonnet

May 6, 2008
samsprinkle said:
This is STUPID! Oh no! he has a facebook friend he's not telling me about! What shall I do? Oh! I'm not jealous! Just angry that he'd conceal a girlfriend from me! the bastard!
Whookay... Thank you for taking the time to tell me that. You didn't actually read the first part, did you?

Omnidum

Mar 27, 2008
Blue Sonnet said:
samsprinkle said:
Whookay... Thank you for taking the time to tell me that. You didn't actually read the first part, did you?
Don't worry, not all people have the same "Tl;dr" line of thought.