Man Chooses to Swap Disabled Hand for Bionic Replacement

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
If I was in that guy's position, I wouldn't have waited for the doctors to suggest it. It would pretty much be "Oh, no more hand? My my, that sucks. Now that we're done weeping, let's make me a cyborg"!

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
ZombieDeadNoMore said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the American military is already conducting experiments for these sythetic limbs and how to combine them with weapons for future combat efficiency.
There's certainly military use for it, in fact big projects are working in these area for the funding alone. However, the uses are not what you might imagine, they don't work on hidden gatling guns in arms. The primary use of "augmentations" as of now is to support already existing structures using partial exoskeletons (making it possible to carry a lot of weight over long distances without developing fatigue), full replacements are currently still trying to catch up with the body's very own standards.

Not only is your body tougher than it looks like, especially the bones, it's also pretty light considering its durability, it can regenerate on its own and maintain itself, and all limbs have a safe power source. Not so much with existing prosthetics. Complete arms might have decent functionality (sense of touch aside), but you'll need to carry a little engine with you at all times.
Of course different body parts bring different challenges with them, i.e. replacing an eye is complicated because of its nerve connection, replacing arms because of the muscle power. Either way, today's designs are nowhere near compact enough to work like in fiction.

TL;DR
So yeah, as of now exoskeletons are actually more interesting for the military. They're simpler in design, maintenance and compatibility and your soldiers don't have to sacrifice any limbs. I think it's more likely to see Ironman's powersuit in the future military than replacement limbs with superhuman powers.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
ReiverCorrupter said:
PrinceofPersia said:
thethingthatlurks said:
I'm pretty sure you'd die in that attack, along with everybody else in the blast radius who happens to be exposed to the atmosphere. Sooo...let's assume we both live. I get to have my awesome vision, and you...get to be food? idk, what would you inferior unaugmented humans do in the post-apocalyptic world? Aside from, you know, being hunted for sport...
And therein lies the problem with augmentation, whether mechanical or genetic. It gives you an incorrect feeling of superiority.
Whatever you say, Leon Kass. If someone has superior vision, then how is thinking that they superior vision delusional? It's an advantage. If you're talking about moral superiority... who cares? Rights aren't some metaphysical substance that pervades the universe and prevents people from doing things. They're just something we psychotic primates have made up in order for our societies to function more efficiently. I guess if you want to feel morally superior while you're being crushed that's your prerogative. I'd rather do the crushing personally.
So "Might makes Right" huh? The tagline of every dictator and tyrant. I don't get that second sentence though, "if someone has superior vision how is thinking they are superior delusional?" Other then the fact that it is merely an advantage rather than a measure of worth would be the response. Well here is to hoping that this technology is used responsibly.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
ssManae said:
Was wondering when this was going to pop up. Some exciting stuff happening in the prosthetic field. Once they finish getting the contact probes to stick to the brain (they slide off after a bit at the moment...) we might get to see entire arms like this.
a Scottish company (yay) Touch Bionics has made the i-Arm (if i remember correctly), which is the forearm. this field of research is advancing quite well.

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
It just goes to show what science is capable of when we really knuckle down.
I agree. Science sure is handy. I give those doctors the thumbs up! I just wish I had a grasp on how it all works.
Truly we are living in the digital age.
Oh snap, I missed that one! You really nailed me.
*facepalm*
You'll have to give me a helping hand next time.
I have to say I don't find your request opposable
I'm clutching at straws here. I guess I must be losing my touch.
Maybe you could point me in the right direction?
I don't know, you seem to have a good grasp on the concept, but any more and the gloves are coming off! :mad:
And the gauntlet is thrown.
I warn ye, we're already snatching each others puns here.
You guys sure come up with a lot of these. Do you read some sort of a manual, perhaps a handbook of some sort? I'd try to think of more, but you guys seem to have a handle on these. I'd find some sort of an idiom for how well you know your puns, but I can't think of one.

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
huh I thought we had been doing this prosthetic stuff for awhile now, what would REALLY impress me is if someone elected to replace a perfectly functional working hand with one, that would kind of amaze and surprise me rather than just, someone decided to get a prosthetic!

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Megacherv said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
I agree. Science sure is handy. I give those doctors the thumbs up! I just wish I had a grasp on how it all works.
*facepalm*
I...erm...hands...

Yeah, that'll do...
Pun relating to hands

But this man will be the first cyborg. He will be a symbol of hope to all cyborgs when the war inevitably begins.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
Ekonk said:
That thing looks like a Deus Ex mechanical augmentation.

This excites me and scares me greatly.
You know maybe I have no morality. But the day I can get a shiny titanium arm that is as/more mobile, functional, strong (much stronger), and allows me to feel things I would do it. I mean what are the cons there (the shiny titanium bit is personal preference, I never understood the complaints in fullmetal alchemist). And my arm works perfectly at the moment.

And if I could get eyes that worked better than mine there would be no questions. None.

An interesting theory in science now is that our evolution is no longer boilogical and that the evolutionary level of our species is now defined mostly by how technologically advanced we become. So if our technology augments and improves our biology with no drawbacks it is sill to object.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
PrinceofPersia said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
PrinceofPersia said:
thethingthatlurks said:
I'm pretty sure you'd die in that attack, along with everybody else in the blast radius who happens to be exposed to the atmosphere. Sooo...let's assume we both live. I get to have my awesome vision, and you...get to be food? idk, what would you inferior unaugmented humans do in the post-apocalyptic world? Aside from, you know, being hunted for sport...
And therein lies the problem with augmentation, whether mechanical or genetic. It gives you an incorrect feeling of superiority.
Whatever you say, Leon Kass. If someone has superior vision, then how is thinking that they superior vision delusional? It's an advantage. If you're talking about moral superiority... who cares? Rights aren't some metaphysical substance that pervades the universe and prevents people from doing things. They're just something we psychotic primates have made up in order for our societies to function more efficiently. I guess if you want to feel morally superior while you're being crushed that's your prerogative. I'd rather do the crushing personally.
So "Might makes Right" huh? The tagline of every dictator and tyrant. I don't get that second sentence though, "if someone has superior vision how is thinking they are superior delusional?" Other then the fact that it is merely an advantage rather than a measure of worth would be the response. Well here is to hoping that this technology is used responsibly.
My point wasn't that "might makes right." My point was that rights are constructed by human beings and have no real power beside the power that we give them by believing in them. It's a practical point: if society breaks down then anything goes, it doesn't matter if it's 'right' or not. In the apocalyptic scenario no talk about morality makes any sense.

We create worth, and we can value anything however we want. What is delusional is to think that you have a universal claim to what has worth that equally applies to everyone even if they disagree. I just don't get talk about "moral status" or "moral superiority" or "universal rights." I don't see how rights can exist without a government or some social contract where people agree to grant each other rights in exchange for other benefits.

If you want to read a good philosophical discussion of human enhancement, I suggest you read Beyond Humanity? by Allen Buchanan.

I'm also for the judicial and responsible use of the technology, I just don't think enhancement necessarily leads to anything bad any more than any other technological innovation.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
xXGeckoXx said:
Ekonk said:
That thing looks like a Deus Ex mechanical augmentation.

This excites me and scares me greatly.
You know maybe I have no morality. But the day I can get a shiny titanium arm that is as/more mobile, functional, strong (much stronger), and allows me to feel things I would do it. I mean what are the cons there (the shiny titanium bit is personal preference, I never understood the complaints in fullmetal alchemist). And my arm works perfectly at the moment.

And if I could get eyes that worked better than mine there would be no questions. None.

An interesting theory in science now is that our evolution is no longer boilogical and that the evolutionary level of our species is now defined mostly by how technologically advanced we become. So if our technology augments and improves our biology with no drawbacks it is sill to object.
It's sociological evolution. It's no longer the physical structure of our bodies that determines our success, but the sociological institutions we form. Thus the selective pressures act on our institutions instead of us.

The thing we have to watch out for is letting our institutions advance to the point where we are no longer necessary for their functioning. Then we would only be a burden to the system. That's why I don't care all that much for AI, or at least greater-than-human AI. Let's just improve our own minds instead, I prefer to be at the top of the system.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Megacherv said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
*facepalm*
I...erm...hands...

Yeah, that'll do...
what did the nailed part have to do with hands?

anyway, this is a real gripping story they got here. i bet the hand cost him an arm and a leg. it just hit me that i'm a tad bit thirsty, imma get some hawaiian punch.

YEAAAAHHHHHHH

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Cool. Will there be <a href=http://wavcentral.com/sounds/televis/six_million/smbion.mp3>that weird sound whenever he uses his hand?

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
DAMMIT! I wanted to be one of the first people to remove my limbs and get cybernetic replacements!

But seriously, there were people who opposed this? On what grounds would someone be against using a prosthetic hand to replace a dead, useless one? I really hope it wasn't a sort of "god crippled your hand for a reason and to replace it with a machine is unnatural" thing

Odegauger

Apr 7, 2010
Woohoo! Go science! Go technology!
All you luddite motherfuckers can drink a pint of lye, the rest of us are going to take that one more step towards cybernetic godhood.

DEATHROAD

May 14, 2008
Necromancer Jim said:
Megacherv said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
*facepalm*
I...erm...hands...

Yeah, that'll do...
Pun relating to hands

But this man will be the first cyborg. He will be a symbol of hope to all cyborgs when the war inevitably begins.
Guys come on now, this is really getting out of hand

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
DEATHROAD said:
Necromancer Jim said:
Megacherv said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
*facepalm*
I...erm...hands...

Yeah, that'll do...
Pun relating to hands

Guys come on now, this is really getting out of hand
Don't knuckle under. They'll be under your thumb if you're willing to wrist it all.